Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Patience and Perseverance

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Patience and Perseverance

Postby Swede » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I often write about the need for patience and perseverance when hunting. It seems to be especially true for elk hunting. I don't think there is any significant argument against these as part of our overall strategy in hunting, but I am wondering where other hunters see the limits to these. Where does patience become a waste of time, or when is it time to throw in the towel so to speak? What factors do you consider? Lets say you know there are elk in the general area, but you are not seeing them.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Patience and Perseverance

Postby Indian Summer » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 2]

If you are seeing sign... fresh sign that wasn’t there yesterday then you just need to commit to doing what it takes be it climbing higher or giving up elevation that you will have to pay the price for and get your butt into the elk zone.

I remember running into a hunter once... on the teail along the top of the ridge (cherry picker!) who said to me where do you think they ate. Fresh sign was everywhere. I said they are way down this steep slope on that lower bench. He said “Yeah I know, screw that” and walked the other way.

Your thread brings one familiar saying to mind Swede: The definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. To me if there aren’t elk there in an entire week I’m outta there! While some elk may have just moved out.... others should have moved in. I don’t know man.... I think there should always be resident elk somewhere in 4 to 6 square miles. Always.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Jhg » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 3]

This past archery re-affirmed what a lot of boots on the ground miles had finally gotten into my head a few years ago: -at some point you will learn how to get on elk if they are there and if you are not on elk its because they are not there-

That was driven home this year when circumstance forced me to hunt the entire archery in one area. I was on elk. Then I wasn't. Then on them again. In between seeing elk were long periods of nothing and I knew my season was dripping away day by day, spent hunting where they were not. I will get stubborn if they are there and get on them whatever it takes even if that takes some time and patience. But sticking to an area when they are not there is a very real waste of time. Have your back-up area ready to go!

ELK FACT: you cannot shoot an elk that is not there.
Jhg

Postby saddlesore » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 4]

If there are elk in the general area, and you are no seeing them ,then you are doing some thing wrong and need to sit back and figure out what it is. On the other hand, as I age,there are areas where I see elk and I put the safety back on. I don't need to kill an elk bad enough that I am willing to torture myself doing it. Realizing that there are some people that figure they have to do everything and anything to kill an elk.I'm not one of them. There will come a time in those people 's lives when they figure that out too.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Old school » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I believe it takes experience to tell the difference between beating your head against the wall and having patience - it's a fine line. If I'm not seeing elk or fresh elk sign, its time to move camp or hunt somewhere else. If I'm seeing fresh sign but just am not connecting, then I'll be patient.

--Mitch
Old school