Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Filling Your Elk Tag

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Filling Your Elk Tag

Postby Swede » 11 14, 2018 •  [Post 1]

In the earlier 1990s I could have killed 5-6 elk fairly easy on some years. I did not have the time I do now, but it was easier to get them back then. This season I had a few opportunities, but over all it seems filling my tag has become a lot more difficult. I suspect the main culprit is the number of bow hunters taking up the sport. They are mainly going to open units where any elk is legal. Cattle would also factor in, as well as four legged predators. Has getting an elk become a tougher proposition for you or have you been able to stay ahead with tags for high end units or something else?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Filling Your Elk Tag

Postby Indian Summer » 11 15, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Hmm. Well I’d say that in the long run my odds of punching my tag have gotten better. I think the reason is because I’ve found my heaven on earth and I keep learning more about it. But another reason is because I’ve adapted. If I was still hunting it the way I used to my chances would have stayed the same or decreased. But I’ve seen what other hunters do and make the necessary changes. If I go about another 45 minutes in and UP I lose everyone. That wouldn’t be needed in bow season but the elk do the exact same thing after day 1 of gun season.

The elk are there. To be consistent I had to adapt. Hunting is as good as it ever was.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 11 15, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Talking to an outfitter this year during ML season, she definitely agreed that there were less elk than there were years ago and are now migrating to areas where there were none before.

Couple that with the fact that there are more hunters per square mile now,especially archers,elk are harder to come by.

If you think the90's were great elk hunting, you should have been around in the70's

A hunter certainly has to adapt. In states that have more restrictive quotas for elk,it might not be as bad, but Colorado has become darn right ridiculous in the number of tags they sell.

Non residents should think long and hard be for they shell out $600+ for a Colorado elk tag
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 11 15, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Indian Summer wrote:If I was still hunting it the way I used to my chances would have stayed the same or decreased.

I find that is interesting, and I am not sure what all is there. What have you changed? Since you wrote of "the same way", I understand that is your tactics.
In 1999 I went from being a ground hunter calling for elk that also would tree stand hunt, to a tree stand hunter that will hunt on the ground on occasion. That was a major change in the way I hunt and the way I saw myself as an elk hunter. That year also coincides very closely with the time that elk hunting took a serious down turn, due to the elk heading to the ranch as sons as archery season opened.
I thought it is a given that all elk hunters adapt over time or they just quit. I would say if I was hunting the same areas I hunted 25 years ago, and the same way, it would have been twenty years since I had any success.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 11 15, 2018 •  [Post 5]

What have I changed. Well I don’t hunt elk like a beagle looking for rabbits anymore. I will still walk around some mid day but I’m really just learning where my elk are coming from and going to as they enter and exit the open areas to feed. I’ve become more of a glasser. I bought a spotting scope which I never had a use for in Montana. So my tactics have changed.

But as I’ve learned these areas I’ve expanded me horizons. Gone that one little extra step in distance and elevation, 25% further, to leave 99% of the hunters behind. I know that’s not possible everywhere. It’s possible in Montana but you are still in timber. In Wyoming I can have beautiful open feed slopes to myself. The elk actually bed in the open up there! So I’ve changed tactics and made a slight adjustment in location. My next step is to make it easier for me to be where I need to be really early and not worry about getting back to late and beat up to do it every day. How will I do that? Spike camp. Look out then!!!! Elk heaven right out the door. Omg I get excited just thinking about it. Will someone please buy my Marmot tent so I can buy my spike tent!!!
Indian Summer

Postby redtop » 11 15, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Joe, I’d say what has changed is that you’ve learned your area and those elk.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby Indian Summer » 11 16, 2018 •  [Post 7]

redtop wrote:Joe, I’d say what has changed is that you’ve learned your area and those elk.

Redtop where have you been? I hope you had a good season. Things went really well up on your side of the river this year. I know that atea pretty darn well too. I’ll be up there for awhile before heading south on the 15th next year. Can’t resist when I have the time.
Indian Summer

Postby redtop » 11 16, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Joe, I've been here now and then just not posting so much. Spending more time away from the screen and more time outside.

I've been living and hunting the same elk in the same area for going on 50 years. I've killed an elk every year. This year I put a couple in the freezer. Of course I have an advantage living among so many elk but still some years are easier than others of course. The key is not expecting an elk to be standing in the same place that you killed one last year. That one is dead and gone !!.. I have to tell that to young hunters all the time, they expect to kill an elk from the doing same hunt at the same time every year because they did it before. Elk change their habits because of so many factors. Predators are a big issue where I hunt. The wolves changed things dramatically when they first appeared. It seems now the elk have adjusted somewhat to the big dogs though and are returning to some of their pre wolf habitat and habits. The wolves are still there but the elk aren't quite so freaked out. Maybe the wolves killed the stupid ones. Maybe that's why it seems harder to get close to elk. :D Though I have a lot of respect for elk I still prefer to think of myself as smarter.

You have to be willing to adapt just like the elk. Like Joe I don't chase elk like a young beagle any more. I do kind of miss that energy though! If you aren't finding elk though you aren't covering enough ground or glassing enough. Unless you are hunting where there aren't elk. Then again you need to cover more ground to find the elk. If they aren't responding to your bugles put your bugle away and cover some ground. It's a dynamic world out there in elk country and nothing is the way it used to be. Use that to your favor. Be willing to change your patterns.
redtop
Site Sponsor

Postby saddlesore » 11 16, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Redtop.Like you, I have been hunting a long long time,usually killing an elk every year .Got to disagree with one of your statements though about killing an elk in the same spot form year to year.

This year, I killed the 4th elk from a spot that I shot each one within 50 yards of where I was sitting form year to year. Another location in a completely different area of the state,I have killed three cows,again in almost the exact sames pot. Another area, again in a completely different location I killed 8 bulls in 8 years running within 200 yards of each other.
I have helped other hunters I know telling them the exact locations where to go to kill and elk quite a few times.This year being the most recent. These are not migrating elk either.

Elk, thru the herd dynamics, learn where to go in each generation.Some say it is that old lead cow that teaches these younger elk.I don't know about that, but I do know elk frequent the same locations.They may not be there when a person gets there.They might have not arrived yet or may have already been there and gone , or there mighty have been circumstances where they were spooked out of there.
I always check those places first, and if no luck,then I go find them.

Other than that, you are spot on.
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 11 16, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I believe I have gotten better at finding elk. The fact is numbers are down substantially the wolf population had an impact same with increased hunter pressure however fish and game wanting a reduced herd is the worst culprit
The desert where I hunted the new group of hunters are not “ stealthy entering the area. A large number of early depredation season tags keeps the elk from being near ag fields within hours of shooting time

Added pressure has made elk a bit tougher to find also so many areas the fish and game reduced the herd size

However I look at it this way I have a lot more f days to hunt elk
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby redtop » 11 16, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Saddlesore you are right. I’ve killed many elk in the same general area. There is even one bowl up in our mountains some refer to as “Norm’s” bowl because all the elk I’ve slain there. But what I guess I meant was every hunt is different. Don’t forget to adapt, whether its methods or areas.
redtop
Site Sponsor

Postby Indian Summer » 11 16, 2018 •  [Post 12]

redtop wrote:Saddlesore you are right. I’ve killed many elk in the same general area. There is even one bowl up in our mountains some refer to as “Norm’s” bowl because all the elk I’ve slain there. But what I guess I meant was every hunt is different. Don’t forget to adapt, whether its methods or areas.

Absolutely! It’s crazy how things always seem to play out differently. I find elk in the same general area but the spot that seemed like the money spot of all time one year more often than not lets you down the next year. I know a spot in Montana that is about as good as it gets for late season rifle. But being in the right place at the right time is never easy. Camp out there for 10 days straight and I cannot imagine not killing a good bull. But that means 9 1/2 days of being at the right place at the wrong time ya know.
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 11 16, 2018 •  [Post 13]

I have sure enjoyed the conversation on this subject. The breadth of experiences has convinced me that anyone interested in understanding elk and hunting them, can glean a lot from you jerks. :D
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 11 17, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Swede wrote:I have sure enjoyed the conversation on this subject. The breadth of experiences has convinced me that anyone interested in understanding elk and hunting them, can glean a lot from you jerks. :D

Haha! Isn’t it amazing Swede how we all have different answers and we often disagree but we’re all always right all the time! How is that?

It’s because we hunt different areas where elk adapt to their surroundings and of course hunters have different styles and preferences. The bottom line is there is more than one way to skin and quarter a cat.
Indian Summer

Postby Joe Schmo » 11 17, 2018 •  [Post 15]

I’ve been filling tags with luck and not filling tags with being too aggressive and not patient enough. However all of that should change after reading this thread containing 200 years of elk hunting wisdom!!
Joe Schmo

Postby saddlesore » 11 17, 2018 •  [Post 16]

As a side story, I was at my dentist off ice last week. As I was walking back to the chair,I heard the dentist telling his assistant that I had given him a topo map with an X on it as to where to kill an elk.I had told him to be there before day break, but he got there a little late the same time as the elk did.
Thea few years ago ,Mitch( Old School) on here, I gave him a spot to hunt .He had already hunted a few days further north here in Colorado without success and had packed it in.Switching to where I told him to go,he got into elk the first day.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 11 17, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Indian Summer wrote:we all have different answers and we often disagree but we’re all always right all the time! How is that? It’s because we hunt different areas where elk adapt to their surroundings and of course hunters have different styles and preferences. The bottom line is there is more than one way to skin and quarter a cat.

Beginners and jerks too :D
There is some wisdom and experience in that statement. Etch it into your mind and adapt your hunting style to fit your area. Different styles can work in the same place, but not everything works everywhere. If you like root & toot hunting, you would do well to find the right area for your hunting style. I have a thread about selecting the right spot for a tree stand. The thread is called "The Cow Dropped A Bomb". It begins by telling about folks setting up in poor locations.
Swede

Postby lilshootergirl » 11 20, 2018 •  [Post 18]

After reading this I'm thinking, I might as well hunt wolves instead of elk! Might have better luck & ensure more elk to hunt down the road! I've read a lot of post on how the elk season has been tough, unless someone hands you a honey hole?
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby Indian Summer » 11 20, 2018 •  [Post 19]

First hand information from a trusted source is the only thing that will convince me to set camp somewhere. To me all that crap about calling biologists, Forest Service or the president of the United States are generic answers. If you want info on hunting talk to other hunters. Seems pretty simple. Going on the Internet and typing the word elk and clicking search isn’t the magic trick either I can tell you.

My first hunt plan was an X on a map scribbled on a bar napkin given to me by an old timer who didn’t hunt anymore. I killed my first bull literally right on the x.

Prior to that I’d done two guided hunts and was 0 for 2. Skunked. That bar napkin was more valuable than the $6500 I spent on outfitted hunts which was better than any phone call even though it didn’t pan out.
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 11 20, 2018 •  [Post 20]

I generally disagree with Indian Summer on his last post. I know that a guide or a service like Indian Summer's is a great way to start, but I believe I.S. went too far with his sarcasm.
Many people do not personally know people with direct knowledge of elk hunting areas. When I worked for the Forest Service, it was common to have hunters ask, where are the elk? I would ask a few questions and then tell them generally what I knew. I know there were several coworkers that did the same. When I went into the office of the department of game, I always got good information. No public official is going to take you by the hand and lead you or put an X on a map, but most of the field going employees will tell you what they have seen and where you can begin your hunt.
Going online and searching maps and Google Earth can help you get acquainted with an area you have never seen. Forums like this can be generally helpful. Whatever you do to get ahead in your search for a good hunting area beats just sitting back and picking your nose and guessing.
Guided hunts will give a newbie a better chance than DIY. Indian Summer's advice is very helpful too, but they are not the only way to learn a hunting area, or the way to hunt elk. In the end, I believe experience is your best teacher. The more you hunt elk, the better you will get. Good information from whatever source you get it, is going to shorten your time to becoming a real predator.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 11 21, 2018 •  [Post 21]

You say that because you worked for the Forest Service Swede. But let’s not forget you are a hunter. I only knew one USFS employee that hunted and he only hunted grouse with his dog. You might call it sarcasm but I’ve watched a million guys try to do research by calling the people from the professions I mentioned. Even if they sincerely try to help the information is usually general and not detailed enough to bet your elk tag on. No biologist is going to write a book on tree stand hunting or spot and stalk elk hunting. I know a really good one in Wyoming with 26 years experience who looks at my success as his own success. But he will still tell you they can be anywhere.
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 11 21, 2018 •  [Post 22]

Quite a few years ago I was hunting a new area with some buddies that had hunted the area and they told me where to hunt. I saw no elk,so I was riding around just getting to know the country.I met two rangeretts ( female rangers)and we talked awhile.I told them what was up and they asked to see my topo maps.Darned if they didn't put an X on the map and told me how to get in there. In 30minutes ,I ran into a herd of about 50 elk with bone of the biggest bulls I saw in Colorado.

So some of those people will help. Others just want to cause you grief.
Here in Colorado Springs,I wouldn't trust the people working in the regional office to tell me how to get to the outhouse
saddlesore

Postby Indian Summer » 11 21, 2018 •  [Post 23]

Saddlesore that’s called women’s intuition. A whole other subject! :D
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 11 21, 2018 •  [Post 24]

You jerks make some good points on F.S. employees and the folks at the game department too. You need to careful what you ask, and whom you ask. Office help may talk a good story, but it is useless. Find out who the technicians are that are getting out in the forest with the F.S. They are getting to be fewer and fewer. As a guy told me shortly before I retired, "there are a lot more desks here, but there is no more rain gear." After a couple of minutes you should be able to determine if they know the Rifle Creek area and if they will suggest a better alternative. If they are really helpful they can tell you Rifle Creek is getting hunted too much and Round Mountain is better and why. Things like that will help more than the booger that says "they are out in the forest."
Swede

Postby scubohuntr » 11 21, 2018 •  [Post 25]

The first time I hunted elk I was in my early 20s. I never saw one. This year, many decades later, I still didn't see an elk. So no, it hasn't gotten any easier or harder to fill an elk tag for me. On the plus side, they say that the overall success rate for elk hunters is roughly 10%, and this was my fifth or sixth elk tag, so statistically I'm halfway to an elk.
scubohuntr

Postby Joe Schmo » 11 21, 2018 •  [Post 26]

Hmmm...filling your elk tag.
Ok, I deleted a giant rant on guided hunts and selling coordinates.
Our public land western hunting is something that I've grown to cherish but I have witnessed first hand over the past handful of years the transition from people wanting to just go hunting and hunt hard, hike here, hike there, get up early, etc, to people wanting it to be handed to them. In essence asking...what's the easiest way that I can be successful?
I know guys in their 30's who have started to spend a few hundred bucks on leases or trespass fees just because it's easier to shoot a deer, any deer, not a trophy deer...they just want to be successful so they pay for it, granted these are leases and fees on lands that are basically surrounded by vast expanses of land that is open for everyone to hunt which in my opinion makes it 100x worse.
Mini rant. I see leasing western lands, paying trespass fees, and buying gps coordinates and maps as direct threats to public land hunting. It supports a pay-to-be-successful way of getting a animal. If more and more people continue to do so there will be less and less support for actual DIY hunting and less and less support for keeping and maintaining our public lands. I could sell gps coordinates/maps to Idaho mule deer for a few hundred bucks a pop but what if more and more people started doing so? What if there were a hundred companies selling info on where to hunt western animals? What if the guys that bought the original coordinates sold em to other people? Does it sound like a conspiracy theory? Are you telling me that there's no way it could happen? It's my opinion so take it or leave it.

An example of hunting to fill a tag (IMHO):
-I'm going to XYZ unit
-On these days
-Google earth, call people, PM people, mark up maps, call bios, call wardens, etc
-Drive to the spot
-Plan A: I'm gonna hunt here and glass there
-Plan B
-Talk to people you run into
-Plan C
-Plan D
-Plan E
-Back to Plan C
-Wake up earlier and hunt Plan D
-Hike further into Plan E
-Drive around and hit Plan A from the north side

If you hunt and you get skunked you should hold your head up HIGH!!
If you hunt and are successful you should hold your head up HIGH!!

I heard a great thing that Brian Barney said on a podcast, paraphrasing.
"I've never been to this area but I know generally what it looks like. I'm in good shape and I know how to hunt. I have time. I'm going to go hunt and I think I can be successful."
^^That's how you fill a tag.
Joe Schmo

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 21, 2018 •  [Post 27]

Swede wrote:In the earlier 1990s I could have killed 5-6 elk fairly easy on some years. I did not have the time I do now, but it was easier to get them back then. This season I had a few opportunities, but over all it seems filling my tag has become a lot more difficult. I suspect the main culprit is the number of bow hunters taking up the sport. They are mainly going to open units where any elk is legal. Cattle would also factor in, as well as four legged predators. Has getting an elk become a tougher proposition for you or have you been able to stay ahead with tags for high end units or something else?

Yes, livestock can be a problem. But if you know how to work around them and understand elk habits when the cattle and sheep move in, it isn't all that troublesome. I have found it very helpful to talk with ranchers and herders to find out what their schedule and time lines are for rotation from one area to another. I even had one ranch foreman apologize to me for staying in an area 5 days longer than he expected because he had about 50 head of sheep that were lost and it took extra time to locate them.

Outside of that, I suppose the increase numbers of hunters and especially the ones that read books and watch videos and think they are automatically great hunters. They go around and scare elk out of the country with their new calls that they have no idea of the proper way to use them, let alone, some of them even sound like something from outer space. No wonder the elk head for the next drainage.

Other than all of that, I have not changed my style of hunting at all. And I locate just as many elk as I ever have. And if I'm not into elk every single day, I consider it a total loss.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Indian Summer » 11 21, 2018 •  [Post 28]

Schmo you’re paranoid. Do you realize what it takes to gain enough details about areas.... enough areas, to have a business selling hunt plans? I quit putting coordinates in my plans because Wyoming has talked about making that illegal. If selling hunt plans is so easy that hundreds of guys might do it why am I the only one? Do you know of even one other business that does it? I don’t. Once people find an area worth hunting they keep it to themselves. I was lucky enough to be an outfitter. I got to know other outfitters an lots of guides. So I’m exposed to a lot of country. On top of that I use horses to speed up the learning process. I have zero competition. If I had to compete with other Consulting businesses like I did when I was outfitting I wouldn’t even bother. I’m not a salesman. Are forums like this going to ruin hunting too? It’s the same thing... passing on information. It still comes down to who is physically and mentally strong enough to use the knowledge. I don’t know where you hunt but the places I send my clients have lots of room to breathe. From my spike camp I only ever see one hunter. He’s a guide actually limited by the ability of his client. Believe me the bulls are alive and well. They will be there and everywhere I hunt for generations to come.

You said call people, pm people, call bios etc. Look at businesses like Huntin Fool and USO. What’s the difference? Times have changed brother. Don’t sweat it.
Indian Summer

Postby snowbank » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 29]

some years all the rules change and you have to be flexible. I got skunked this year - third time since 1963. Did I put in enough days ? I hunted 32 of the 35. Did I cover enough miles? On horseback I'm estimating I covered about 320 miles. Did I walk enough? I covered an average of 2-5 miles aday in the black lodgepole thickets. I saw elk every day in land I have hunted every year since 1988. I had two cow tags in two areas ( I don't like to eat bulls - the first 26 were chewy).

What was new? The lodgepoles were falling as you walked through them. One came down within 30 yards an was completely silent. Makes you as spooky as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. It was difficult to find a safe place to tie up a horse to hunt on foot. Twice we encountered mountain lions. They tend to make the elk wild. The first two weeks were too hot to hold meat and had to pass up on the 30 head in my front field opening day. After that was snow squalls followed by freezes and then a thaw. This caused crunchies on the north side and bare ground on the south. Heavy crust above 7800 ft precluded elk on the ridges. Swirling wind made it very difficult to plan approaches to elk pockets. The rapidly changing weather made predicting travel patterns almost impossible as the elk ran between the winter range and the fall range.

I started all of this with a hip replacement on the end of August while 13 weeks later on the last day I climbed 600 ft verticle in a mile hunting a rocky thicket on the north side. Forty head beat me by 4 hours. The snow was 14 inches deep.

Without a doubt this was a tough season but a good example that some years good things are not going happen nomatter how much experience you have or how hard you hunt. For some of you on the chunky side- I lost 19 lbs and my family says my diposition got kind of snarely. Next year will be better.
snowbank

Postby Swede » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 30]

Snowbank, I sure feel disappointed when I hunt hard and long and get nothing. I ponder what I should have done differently. It takes a few days to reflect and consider that I did my best and that is what matters in the end.
Swede

Postby Magic » 12 03, 2018 •  [Post 31]

I have gotten good information from Wildlife Officers, Forest Service, and landowners. It may or may not have helped but they were sincere with their information. Of course there was never any expectation for them to tell all. ;)
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby BrentLaBere » 12 04, 2018 •  [Post 32]

Plenty of good stuff here from guys that have been at this for some time. I would be grouped into the new hunters group that took up elk hunting. In my short time ive learned to adapt. First year hunting in state was overwhelming to say the least. Second year heading out of state and into the mountains I thought I could hunt like all the stories I read and the shows I watched. Run around and bugle, the elk will come in. Sure I saw elk and called a few in but I bet a spooked more elk and pissed off more hunters than anything. Adapting to what the weather is doing, what other hunters are doing and simply what the elk are telling you. From their habits to their vocalization. You need to read more sign than elk scat and tree rubs.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Roosiebull » 12 04, 2018 •  [Post 33]

Swede wrote:In the earlier 1990s I could have killed 5-6 elk fairly easy on some years. I did not have the time I do now, but it was easier to get them back then. This season I had a few opportunities, but over all it seems filling my tag has become a lot more difficult. I suspect the main culprit is the number of bow hunters taking up the sport. They are mainly going to open units where any elk is legal. Cattle would also factor in, as well as four legged predators. Has getting an elk become a tougher proposition for you or have you been able to stay ahead with tags for high end units or something else?

Funny you mentioned that....

This season I thought was going to be easy, I was concerned about not getting my fill of elk hunting.

I actually wanted to kill a spike, and all of the timber co land around me opened back up, lots of area I know like the back of my hand, know their cycles, the trails they use, bedding areas, etc.. gonna be an easy one!

I hunted with a buddy who drew the best tag in the state 10 days, very fun camping out and chasing huge bulls, that was a freaking blast!

He killed a nice bull and I was back home to hunt my tag, I was blown away with how many people were hunting around my place, people parking and walking in on me, elk coming towards me from private, guys going on that private land they can't hunt and bumping them... people chaos.

The elk stuck heavily to private, and at some point I said screw it, back to NF land and BIG timber, and people don't like hunting it. My season turned right then, called in a small bull my first evening in the big timber, but was trying to get a range on a cow below me when the bull came into my only lane, when I confirmed it was a bull, it was back in the brush, then got to close and winded me without giving me a shot... spindly 3 or 4pt, perfect for what I was shopping for...oh well.

A day or 2 later I got the chance I was looking for, cut off a small group of elk with my spike in it, ranged a tree at 37yds where they were coming into... this is gonna happen!

First cow comes into the lane, almost ranged her to confirm but decided to hold tight and not move. After a bit, the spike comes feeding out, I see a chance to draw and slowly roll the cams over without detection, steady my pin, start applying pressure and my bow goes off perfectly, but the arrow goes over his back...wth!!!??
After a bit I range a tree where he was...27yds! Crap!

I was bummed out I made that mistake, I know better, but there are no do overs, own it and move on.

A couple days later I get on a bull bugling, it wasn't working out, so I didn't push the issue and came back the next morning.

The elk were right in front of me the night before, but it was getting dark so I backed out. The next morning was really quiet, no nothing. About a half hour after daylight I hear a guy bugling on the next ridge... non stop! I get irritated and start out. I get where I left the elk the night before and pause to listen one more time... snap! Oh boy, it's really close, just on the other side of this brush pile. The wind isn't trust worthy so I decided to be decisive. I sneak around the brush pile and see a white body point blank, then peak further and see one side of his antlers...holy cow!!

I tuck back, come to full draw and step out, he's literally 5 yds. He is slowly starting to walk away from me, I cow call to stop him, and he turns around, slightly quartered to, but just slightly, his face is behind a Bush perfectly, I settled my pin, even look at my level, hold tight to the crease and shoot, he barely reacts, I head it hit him. He goes out of sight, I load another arrow, but the brush is too tall.

He walks down the ridge and I'm waiting for him to crash but he doesn't. Now he's 100ish yds, he comes up on a rise and I look at him with my binos, see the hole exactly where I wanted to, but wondering how he's still alive.
I watched him slowly work down to the bottom and to my right.

I sit and listen for a clue he dies, but get no clues, then about 10 minutes goes by and a bull starts answering that guys every bugle! The bull is bugling right where mine is likely laying dead!

I start getting stressed, then a cow feeds out right where my bull went... what the heck is going on?

I hiked out after a bit and waited 2 hrs, I knew something about the shot wasn't perfect, but I knew he was dead. I started tracking, get on the trail and there is some blood, not s bunch but easy to follow.

About 30 yds into the trail I find my arrow, and my heart sank when I see the broadhead folded over and next to no penetration...

I tracked that bull right to the spot that bull was bugling for an hour... yep, the one I shot.

I tracked that bull for 9 hrs, mostly just following tracks, and a pin drop of blood once in awhile. I had totally lost blood and jumped him out of bed almost a mile away. I was a second from shooting him and he bolted.

I look for a couple hours more and lost him completely.

I went back the next 2 days and found him with his cows the second morning. I got busted pretty quick but was happy to see him running his cows.

I kept after him, and the wind was completely taken out of my sales. One morning I had a spike in range and just couldn't do it, when that encounter was over I was pretty regretful, but I was battling shooting a bull then hunting a different bull.

The last Saturday of the season I get on a big herd, the big bull had 6 cows, so I knew it was a different batch, but oddly it was in the same drainage that bull was hanging out, I snuck around and see a bull at the back end of some elk in the timber, I sneak closer and peek around the next little point, now I'm about 50 yds from this nice 5 pt, and all hell breaks loose when out of the thicket comes the bull I shot chasing that 5 pt right to me!

The big bull turns back to his cows and here is that 5 pt 25 yds from me. I decided to not shoot, I wanted the big bull I had already shot.

I was trying to work in, but there were too many elk and I got busted and they split, I couldn't tell what group the bulls were in. After a bit I decided to try to cut off the ones that went to my left. I snuck down that ridge and waited.

Some time passed and the elk relax, but I was stuck and the elk were across this draw, not coming into range. I held tight because that was the option.

After a while I here something coming behind me, then out in front of me, and on the other side of the ridge I'm on, the 2 bulls go walking right in front of me, just over 25 yds! The 5 pt in the front, big bull in back. They go behind some salmon berry and I come to full draw. It takes them awhile and here they come, the small bull in front stays in the cover, the big bull comes out, all I can see is shoulder back, and top of his antlers through the brush. I settled my pin and the arrow is gone!

They shuffled out and stopped about 50 yds out, I cannot see any sign of a hit at all! I am now freaking out, how did I miss??!! I heard the arrow hit... the 5pt steps out and i see blood running down his side! I shot the 5 point.

That is still a mystery, but the big bull was totally fine (sounds like he survived rifle season also)

Why not have another crazy twist to end this rollercoaster season! It was the hardest elk season I have had, had so many twists and turns, including how it ended. I was happy I ended up with the 5pt for food sake, but I REALLY wanted redemption on that big bull, and redemption was being dangled in my face, that big black horn 7x8 was not meant to die this year, especially to my arrow.

I am tempted to hunt that bull next year, but I really question the motivation there, I hope I don't, I am going to put some cams up in there soon, try to get some pics and hope that satisfies that part of me. I enjoy just hunting, no lofty goals, just hunting for a chance at a bull.

I still think about that whole chain of events almost daily, it stings. I didn't give the scapula credit. I have gone through it with much less arrow, I didn't think even if I hit it my 642gr arrow would be slowed down, but when that broadhead folded up, that was that. I was a little over confident in my equipment.

I still don't know how i hit the scapula, the entrance looked like i missed it by a couple inches, but i had to have hit it. His leg must have been back, and i gave myself no wiggle room... tough pill to swallow, but feel really blessed to have a bull in the freezer.

I have no idea what next year brings, but it seemed hard this year, i would think it would be easier, that was #15 in a row, but was the closest I have came to breaking the streak in several years.

Maybe next year is the year...

I'm possibly hunting with a traditional bow this year, if not, 2020 for sure. I'm shooting a ton and getting decent, so I am guessing I have some lean years in my future, and I'm ok with that.

On a good note, my wife got a deer tag this year, first ever time hunting, it was my hardest deer season to, I got lucky and killed a good one but couldn't get one in front of my wife, but she LOVED it, so I think she will be putting some meat in the freezer in the future to make up for my pending lack of success, haha.

All in all it was a perfect fall, got my monies worth out of my tags, tons of hunting. Can't wait for next year!
Roosiebull

Postby DWBMontana » 12 07, 2018 •  [Post 34]

NEW MEMBER HERE FROM NE MONTANA, NEAR GLASGOW, MOST MY ELK HUNTING IS DONE IN SC MONTANA NEAR BIG TIMBER, HAD A DECENT YEAR, I DROPPED A YOUNG 6X5 WEEK BEFORE THANKSGIVING, FRIEND KNOCKED DOWN A NICE 6PT. ANOTHER FRIEND DROPPED A RAGHORN 5. I ALSO POSTED A THREAD ON WARRIOR HUNT I JUST CAME BACK FROM, 4 OUT OF 5 FILLED THEIR COW TAGS. I WILL BE HUNTING NEAR BIG TIMBER AGAIN NEXT YEAR, ALONG WITH A NEW LEASE I HAVE NEAR WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS WHICH I BELIEVE WILL BE SOME OF THE BEST ELK HUNTING I HAVE EVER HAD THE CHANCE TO DO....BUT ONLY TIME WILL SEE. I ONLY RIFLE HUNT, SO ARCHERY SEASON IS SOMETHING I TRY AND SUB LEASE TO OTHERS. HERE ARE A COUPLE OF PICS OF ELK FROM THIS FALL....GUESS THEIR TO BIG, LOL, MY BAD.
DWBMontana

Postby Swede » 12 07, 2018 •  [Post 35]

Welcome to the forum DWBMontana. Join in the campfire nonsense. :D It is great to have you joining the discussions.
Swede