Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Where to start, new to Elk Hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Where to start, new to Elk Hunting

Postby Bruce » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Brand new here, so Greetings. Sorry if this topic has been beat to death. I did try to search for topic, with no luck, so here goes. Long time South Carolina hunter but want to start elk hunting. Really would rather do a DIY public land hunt but am I wasting time and money since I am so inexperienced in elk and mountain hunting? Looking at 2020 for first season that works for my buddy and I. We are working on the fitness piece already, but looking for any insight.
Bruce

Re: Where to start, new to Elk Hunting

Postby Bruce » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 2]

To add a little more, if DIY is doable, gonna block 2 weeks for travel, scouting and hunting and currently looking at Colorado and an either sex OTC tag. Definitely not against hunting another state if it would be a better place to wet our feet so to speak. Thanks
Bruce

Postby Swede » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Lets start with how you plan to hunt, i.e. archery, rifle, muzzle loader. Which season and how well you are equipped or will be. Are you after an adventure with a possibility at shooting an elk, or are you intent on shooting an elk. What will satisfy you. You can be successful on DIY, but it is a long shot, pun intended. You can improve on your chances by asking specific questions and hanging out and following some of the experienced hunter here. This is one of the best forums for helping newbies.
My advise is to learn as much as you can about elk and elk hunting.
Learn about a hunting unit. I don't know if Colorado is the best or not. It gets a lot of hunters.
Indian Summer has some affordable hunt plans with good hunting locations. Personally that would be my first choice on a DIY or semi-guided hunt.
I would pump him for as much help as you can get until he suggests you are a pain in the you know what. :D
If you are into tree stands, get the book on tree stand hunting sold here. I know I am plugging my own book, but it is the easiest way for a newbie to get an elk on the first hunt.
BTW: Welcome to W.T. Feel free to ask questions and share your own experiences.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Don't do it! Save yourself! If you come out elk hunting, it will turn into a raging fever and there is no known cure! All you will be able to think about is elk, elk, elk all day long. You would be better off getting into illicit drugs...wait, what? Just kidding of course.

I would say this, you have some time, so prepare yourself by doing something related to elk hunting every day or every week. Might be a lot or a little, but every week get something done. Scout via internet forums, OnX, GoHunt Insider, Google Earth, etc. You don't say whether it is a bow hunt or a rifle hunt, but especially for a bow hunt, buy Elknut's playbook and memorize it. Watch YouTube videos. practice calling until your wife is just about to check either herself or you into the insane asylum. Mentally prepare yourself for the hardest and most fun thing you have ever done. Buy good elk gear on sale (you have plenty of time, you can take advantage of sales throughout the year. Attend elk hunting seminars. Read other elk books. Find someone who does it an buy them lunch while picking their brain. Ask questions here and we would be happy to give you somewhat correct answers!

Above all, enjoy the process. Starting now, have fun with it. Go into the whole thing with a smile and a positive outlook and you will have a successful trip regardless if you harvest one or not.
Tigger

Postby Jhg » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 5]

When you choose an area, choose one that limits or does not allow quad use. Your experience will be improved dramatically where quads are not allowed. There will be less motorized traffic, more considerate fellow hunters and less parking-lot like camp sites.
Jhg

Postby Indian Summer » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Yeah what do you want to do? I love the mountains. I go there in the summer to sight see and hang out. It’s awesome. My favorite place on earth. If you enjoy expensive camping trips you will love your first elk hunt like I love my summer vacations. There are a few... and by few I mean few, hunters who kill an elk on their first hunt. Unless they paid an outfitter or lined up a private ranch they can most certainly attribute their success to luck. If you don’t have elk hunting experience you will not find them on Google Earth. If you do have elk hunting experience you probably won’t find them in Google Earth! Cold hard facts. I still go prospect new areas that looked great to me online only to find out they are worthless. A waste of my time and money. But for me it’s not the end of the world because I’m just doing it before or after my actual hunt.

Every year I get calls from people new to elk hunting. Many times they end up telling me that a couple of their partners decided that since they do really well on public land deer back in Ohio or wherever they decided that instead of paying for a hunt plan they are going to take a crack at it without the plan. They do the internet thing. Come on these forums and ask a bunch of questions. Maybe call a biologist or something. The guy who calls me is usually wanting the plan but can’t talk his buddies into it. I wish them luck and off they go. 8 months later I see their email address in my inbox. I just smile. :roll: They tell me they got skunked. Many never saw an elk. Other hunters everywhere. Spent the week telling their buddies “I told you dummies we should have coughed up some money for that damn plan” And they skip all the questions and tell me to send a contract and the check will be in the mail.

There’s another scenario. I get an email from a guy who says.... we have elk hunting experience. We’ve been at it for 4 years now in Colorado. We’ve killed 1 cow and a small raghorn bull. We keep moving around based on our experience looking for a place to call home but it’s just not happening. We love elk hunting and so we’re not giving up. We’re just ready to make a move and kill some damn elk! Bulls! They ask a few questions. They ask the price. They split the cost buy the plan and call me when they get home all excited about their new honey hole and the elk they saw and killed there.

The bottom line is the newbies don’t know enough to know the value of setting up a camp where the X on the map is and getting right into elk. The people who have driven back home with empty coolers with their dreams crushed think it’s priceless.

You wouldn’t hike a football without a plan. Why in the world would you think that you can go somewhere totally out of your element and search for a trophy animal... which is any elk really... and assume that your chances of killing one are pretty good?

My hunt plans aren’t just a couple topo maps marked up with places to look for elk. They are over 30 years of experience that helped me learn an area and kill elk there passed on to my clients in a handy dandy little package so that regardless of their experience or lack of it they can go somewhere and actually see elk AND keep going back to learn their spot until they are consistent at killing them. Period.

If I could have bought something like that when I first made the trek from Pa I would have jumped on it. I know a guy in Alaska who sells diy hunt plans for moose and caribou. It’s easy to put myself in his shoes. He has a reputation to maintain so he does his best to put his hunters in great spots. He’s a hunter himself and he’s actually hunted the areas he has plans for. He believes in his service and so do I. I probably ask him way less questions than anyone. Sounds good Larry the check is in the mail brother!

Like me his service goes beyond what you get on paper. You can call or email as much as you want with a hundred questions. We want you to kill game! We want you to be prepared to put your hunt plan to good use. We like happy clients. They help us sell more hunt plans. But the fact is we are hunters who love to see others accomplish their goal and knowing we played a role in their success is also a motivating factor in what we do. As an outfitter I loved it when a client killed a bull. Especially if it was their first one. I knew it made a mark on their soul and that they would never forget me. I love that!

So if you want to get right down to business instead of going sight seeing let me know. Take your pick of Montana or Wyoming. Way too many people in Colorado for me to try to keep my hunters happy. Check out my website. Fire away with your questions. I’ll help you get licenses, tell you where to get your elk proccesed and vac sealed, where to get dry ice for the trip home. Logistics are a big deal. There’s more to an elk hunt than the hunting itself. If I knew in the beginning how much I didn’t know I might have decided to hunt for Bigfoot instead!!!

On second thought probably not. I love monster antlers. Walking up on Bigfoot just wouldn’t trip my trigger like walking up on a big bull with his rack sticking up in the air knowing my freezer is going to be full and I’ll be putting another one on the wall to remind me of my awesome week chasing bulls in the Rockies!

Good luck pilgrim!

http://www.headinwest.net
Attachments
D40272E1-8CF9-4A0D-9F5D-C27E8C647212.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 7]

First timing,hire a guide/outfitter. I'd recommend Jeanne Horne of J Bar H outfitter operating in Unit 1 2 of Colorado out of Meeker,Co. Only one I would recommend.She is booking 2020 hunts now.

If not unless you are terrible lucky and like to carry100 pounds of meat on your back, you are apt to only experience a camping trip while you hike around with a bow or rifle.I'd volunteer to take you, but you must have horses or mules
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Bruce » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely was going into the first hunt with idea that hunt was as said above an expensive camping trip. I have done enough research to know odds are very low. Definitely would want to rifle hunt since chance of getting within 40 yards of any elk if unlikely. Figured I may have a chance to get one within 400 yards or much closer. I probably should run away now before I get hooked.
Bruce

Postby Swede » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I think luck is more likely to smile on you if you are a gun hunter. If you are going to have any consistency with a bow, you have to know what you are doing. That said, I believe a bow hunter can get more public land elk on the plate than a gun hunter. I will let Saddlesore argue with me on that. Saddlesore is one of the guys I would pay close attention to.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Master Plan: Apply for a General license in Wyoming. It takes 2 points to guarantee it but you can draw with no points in the random draw. If you don’t draw you get a point. Then buy a cow tag for only $288. Go kill an elk on your first hunt. Learn how to hunt the mountains. Learn how to cut up elk. Learn what equipment worked for you, what you didn’t need or what else you want to buy. Best of all learn your area for when you go back with a bull tag. I would HIGHLY advise to do just that!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Old school » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Welcome to the forum! First of all - heed the warning, elk hunting is addictive. Second define success - for you. Is it seeing the mountains and experiencing its highs and lows? Is it seeing elk? Killing any elk? Killing a bull? I’m 2 for 2 on guided rifle hunts and I’m 0-4 on DIY archery. Numbers don’t lie. Buying a hunt plan from Joe will obviously cost more than just DIY but it will shave years off the learning curve as well and that’s worth something. It’s all in what you want. I’m seeking the satisfaction of learning an area and also learning how to archery hunt elk. I’m confident this is the year I’ll finally connect :-)

Good luck, and most of all, enjoy the journey!

-Mitch
Old school

Postby saddlesore » 11 20, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Indian Summer wrote:Master Plan: Apply for a General license in Wyoming. It takes 2 points to guarantee it but you can draw with no points in the random draw. If you don’t draw you get a point. Then buy a cow tag for only $288. Go kill an elk on your first hunt. Learn how to hunt the mountains. Learn how to cut up elk. Learn what equipment worked for you, what you didn’t need or what else you want to buy. Best of all learn your area for when you go back with a bull tag. I would HIGHLY advise to do just that!

Good solid advice
saddlesore

Postby Bruce » 11 20, 2018 •  [Post 13]

saddlesore wrote:
Indian Summer wrote:Master Plan: Apply for a General license in Wyoming. It takes 2 points to guarantee it but you can draw with no points in the random draw. If you don’t draw you get a point. Then buy a cow tag for only $288. Go kill an elk on your first hunt. Learn how to hunt the mountains. Learn how to cut up elk. Learn what equipment worked for you, what you didn’t need or what else you want to buy. Best of all learn your area for when you go back with a bull tag. I would HIGHLY advise to do just that!

Good solid advice

Other than the advice on Wyoming, that was our basic plan. Try to kill a cow for meat and learn as much as possible. I will have lots more questions as I continue to research, so thanks for sharing
Bruce

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 20, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Welcome aboard Bruce, glad to have you at our campfire. In my book, researching and planning your adventure is as much a part of the hunt as releasing the arrow or pulling the trigger. As they say in business, plan your work...and work your plan ;). Some good advice above but I'll throw in my .02 cents for what its worth (I'm sure I'll probably duplicate some of the tidbits that have already been offered).. Where to start? Start at the beginning which is where you are now obviously (this process will repeat itself over your years of elk hunting).
1. Lock in your partner. Ensure he/she is 110% on board with a projected hunt(s). Partner research for a planned hunt maximizes research effectiveness, and, you feed off of and motivate each other towards an end goal.
2. Decide on your type of hunt and where and begin in depth research. Lotsa states have good draw odds, and, some have really good OTC tags. Most states have excellent F&G sites so begin your research there (there is a link here for the Elk State Regulations). Research harvest stats, application deadlines, and whittle your target areas down to a few that seem to suit your planned style of hunting. Yes, you may contact the region's biologists for game population information, but, don't sleep on just contacting the district Forest Service folks also (this has worked well for me in the past). Lastly, if you're able to swing a pre-hunt scouting trip, you can really learn a lot about an area from putting advance boots on the ground. Talking to local's during your scout trip (including loggers and FS road maintenance folks) can reap rewards.
3. Learn about elk; I can't stress this enough! There is a ton of good information that one can glean from our humble forum as well as using other resources. If you have a question, or, wish to pose a "what if" scenario, feel at ease doing it here.
4. Gear acquisition. No, you don't need to spend thousands of dollars on high end gear... but... good boots, layering clothing, good glass, and an "all in one" pack (a pack that can both compress down into a day pack configuration and expands out to haul in camp/haul out meat) is very important IMO. Gear can certainly be expensive but its not so bad if you target a few items here and there.
5. Conditioning. Yes, round is a shape but not the best shape for elk hunting ;). I think it was David/handle TrophyHill that has something like "September is not the time to realize you're not in elk shape" in his avatar. There is really nothing that can prepare a person for the elevation changes associated with mountain elk hunting, but, participating in a great conditioning program well before season kicks off is very important IMO. Nothing will sent your spirits downward faster than realizing you can't effectively hunt due to lack of conditioning.
6. Getting long winded here, sorry, but the last thing I would recommend is to dig into some of Elknut's informational material (he has quite a bit of his information posted here, and, if you go to his page link above.... you can pick up some of his educational products). Paul Medel has spent many, many years learning about, and, sharing what he has researched about elk mannerisms and vocalizations. This information can only help you in your elk hunting endeavors.
Best of luck in your planning Bruce... we're all with you in your first elk hunting adventure out west of the big river! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 11 20, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Bruce wrote:Definitely would want to rifle hunt since chance of getting within 40 yards of any elk if unlikely.

Before I knew you planned to rifle hunt, I suggested you might read the tree stand book and pay attention to some of the threads on the tree stand forum. The same can be said for Elknut's materials. Elknut has great information for helping someone determined to get within bow range of a rutting bull.
My advice is to be very selective in what you purchase, and get material most relevant to how and where you will hunt. Saddlesore's idea of a guide is good. I like Indian Summer's information and hunt plans though I have not used them. If I ever plan a DIY Wyoming or Montana hunt I will start with him. Indian Summer has a number of good posts on spot and stalk hunting. I would check out things most related to how, when and where you want to hunt. Don't get the cart before the horse.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 11 29, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Spend some time on the ElkNut tips and clips, as Swede mention get some of Elknuts other material.
The Playbook is solid elk info.
You may want to join Rocket Mountain Elk Foundation. Just sort of helps with the addiction.
A total diy is a hard way to learn.
Welcome to the addiction
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 11 29, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Elknut's material is generally targeted toward the bow hunter. In that way it is similar to the tree stand book. Before I invested my money in any of Paul's material, I would call him and see what he would recommend for my application. You may also look online for other books. I have several that relate well to the rifle hunter. The best I have read focus on how and where to spot and stalk like Indian Summer hunts.
Swede