Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What's The Difference?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What's The Difference?

Postby Swede » 11 29, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Have you ever stopped to think about how little the difference is between a great shot, that drops an elk very close by, and one that puts a runner on the move for long distances? I have dropped elk on the spot with both a rifle and a bow. I have had some runners too. Sometimes blood trailing a wounded elk is very difficult and time consuming. What is your tactic or secret for minimizing the chance of having to recover one that is hard hit, but does not want to die right away?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: What's The Difference?

Postby Elkhntr08 » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Stealth, I don’t want the animal to know that I’m anywhere around or that anything is wrong. A slightly alert animal with bolt and run at even the sound of a bow. I’ve shot animals that just stood in place like “what was that” then took a couple steps and fell over. If they run, I pray it’s towards the truck, but that never works out!
Elkhntr08

Postby Lsb » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Anymore I'm leaning towards dumb luck. But I think elkhntr has a valid point
Lsb

Postby saddlesore » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Shoot them when they don't know you are around as Elkhntr08 says. Assuming you can place the bullet where it needs to go. Pass on the iffy shots
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby BrentLaBere » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Im not sure what the answer is. But I know it helps to call after the shot and not make much noise. Certainly not attempting to go check the site of impact. The elk may not be far, realizing it is hurt, and soon to lay down. Bumping them is worst case scenario. I have had 1 blood trail with all of the elk I have shot. This year I found two drops of blood. Heck Ive had it before where I could watch them fall, 100 yards away and only had minimal blood near where they expired. I think Elkhntr08 is on the money with his "stealth".
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby saddlesore » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Unless a person blows a big hole thru them.You won't find much blood at the point of impact.Many times it's 30-40 yards further on. Which is why some think they missed. I fit is a high chest hit,the lung cavity has to fill up with blood before any gets out.A deer or elk can travel quite aways before that happens.
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Lets face it! Some animals just have a higher pain threshold that others. They can endure more pain and go farther than others. And most animals that go down instantly, especially with a bow, have a spinal cord that is either severed or shocked.

Heart shots are great. But it is hard to shoot something that small that you can't even see. Double lung shots are probably the most dependable and easiest shot to take for a fast recovery. A single lung just won't do it!

And I agree with Elkhunter08, NEVER EVER let them know you are there. That means before, during. and after the shot.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 8]

>>>---WW----> wrote: I agree with Elkhunter08, NEVER EVER let them know you ,,,,,,. That means before, during. and after the shot.

Doesn’t matter the game even a clean miss gives you time for a good 2nd shot

For goose hunting I use sliding pit covers . A 30” tall cover flipping will spook them hard
A couple years ago I sent my dog : a coyote only saw the dog
Pop out of the ground and wasn’t as concerned about my head bobbing around

I was at a trailhead on a Montana hunt. An eastern non hunter dropped a herd bull at 40 yards the bull layed down , the cows stuck around until the guy started celebrating. The cows ran one way the bull another he and others watched the bull for thousands of yards
Never recovered
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Ooopps
I don’t have an excuse but currently am unable to delete the post
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkstalker » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I totally agree with the stealth comment! Lay low and always try and get another shot at them. I primarily rifle hunt, and if he's still standing/walking/running and doesn't look real real sick (like hes going down in a matter of seconds) I'll always put another round into him. If you play your cards right and get the sneak on them, meaning you shoot before they know you're there, it always puts you in a better position for a clean kill or a follow up shot if necessary.
elkstalker