Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Late season muzzle loader hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Late season muzzle loader hunting

Postby Lefty » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Evidently muzzleloader hunting appears to be an old mans hunt
I’ve spent the morning glassing from the road. Of the four pickups I spoke with all are older fellows. All seem to have the same technique: drive the road and look for the big herds; and the elk haven’t herded up to migrate yet . Same four rigs as the last time I was here.

I did see some high school boys camped, no ; sleeping, beside the road, then hiking nearly straight up.

One hunter suggested where I was last night was way to far to pack out a cow!

All four mentioned with more snow bring a snow machine.

What do you other experience ml hunters say!

Right now I’m headed to town for gas and a hotdog
The fog is nasty , fine rain and 27 degrees

I’m seriously thinking of heading home tonight at set up for geese in the am that haven’t arrived either
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Late season muzzle loader hunting

Postby saddlesore » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 2]

No roads where I hunt ML wilderness areas.Our M L season is in Sept.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Keep your powder dry.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lsb » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 4]

No ml season in Montana
Lsb

Postby Elkduds » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Lefty, it was 80 degrees every day of my ML hun tin CO. Our season is mid-Sept. Still, condensed moisture is the enemy of consistent ignition in MLs. Electrical tape over muzzle. Avoid taking gun back and forth between warm and cold, loads will still fire for a few days. To be sure as can be; unload in the evening, reload in the morning.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 12 01, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I made a dandy stalk last night in the driving snow. Put down nearly 4 inches of snow while I moved in 1000 yards, much in the open.

No excuse but a clean miss,..I overestimated the range the elk had no idea where the shot came from and went back to feeding,. all my gear was at the truck

While this was an Idaho hunt,.. Im sure these were Montana elk,.. I worked hard to make it to the Continental divide border trail, Lots of elk sign

I will use the tape trick.
Lefty

Postby Elkduds » 12 01, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Sounds a little more exciting than a goose blind. I haven't had a shot @ elk w my ML for several years. Good for you! If you just had one quick loader in your pocket, you might have had a heavier walk back to the truck.
Elkduds

Postby Lsb » 12 01, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Leave my elk alone lefty :evil: :D
Lsb

Postby Indian Summer » 12 02, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Stick it out. In a month you’ll wish you were still out there.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 12 03, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Back up here
A bit more snow and sub zero expected in the am
Found 20 cows and calves
Hopefully waiting for me in the morning

Lsb once they cross the divide :twisted:

Duds a different excitement when a 1000 geese start setting down around, a little intense
Lefty

Postby Elkduds » 12 03, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Lefty wrote:Back up here
A bit more snow and sub zero expected in the am
Found 20 cows and calves
Hopefully waiting for me in the morning

Lsb once they cross the divide :twisted:

Duds a different excitement when a 1000 geese start setting down around, a little intense

Yes, sir, get up early and git sum :!:

I will confidently take your word on the gaggle scenario. No personal experience w that. A dozen pheasants flushing from the last 10 yards of a half mile uncut milo field...is it anything like that?
Elkduds

Postby Lefty » 12 05, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Elkduds wrote:
Lefty wrote:Duds a different excitement when a 1000 geese start setting down around, a little intense

A dozen pheasants flushing from the last 10 yards of a half mile uncut milo field...is it anything like that?

Nope nothing like that at all.
More like 50 head of elk surrounding: and you in the saddle and your horse doesn't like it :o Although not the same consequences.

Well I called my daughters boyfriend. All new to hunting, I wanted him to help drag out elk :lol:

As a side note I was more than a little disappointed in our muzzle loader shooting. The kids a shooter with all firearms . But neither of us did well with our new guns.
I didnt spot last nights cows and really wanted to be in another area. I found a lot of fresh track. Out a couple miles and in down deep. His excitement was quite thrilling for me,..

Just afternoon we started our hike in,.. and down,.. I knew what we would be in for but with a few days left of over snow travel legal I figured we would be fine, after the kill.
I was dissapointed, we were unable to find bedded elk, where I wanted them to be :) .
I knew we needed to be patient. The kid about jumped out of his camo when a big bull was first stepping out of the timber at 3:51.

Then 3-4 head then 20, then 50, then a hundred, and many more.
The werent coming up the areas they had been but, following the thick quakie thickets above a willowed creek. I wanted to set up and wait,. but it appeared the elk may follow the bottom of the drainage. I wanted to watch then back them out and try tomarrow.
The kid wanted to go after them. The willows were a possibility. but that would be a mile stalk and 500 foot loss of elevation,.. The voice of an experience was speaking in my mind over and over.
4:38 were in the willlows 200 yards from hundreds ( 300 ) of elk. And the elk start heading up a ridge.
I told the kid we needed to back out and he needed to get to the top . I knew I couldnt get there in time.
He wanted to stalk them. Because I had gotten him so close to elk in September.
He used all the info he had gleaned from me,..big herds aren't as cautious,.. but didn't use the follow up,.. about so many eyes.
I figured I couldn't make the top before the elk. The kid reasoned with so many elk so close we certainly would get a shot. Even under good wind and cover, now closer a cow spotted us. ,.. and it went down hill from there.
The kid wanted to make the move on them,... I thought we could still save the location for the next day, The kid was so excited. I moved to a great position to watch the action. 15 minutes later another cow caught him trying to stalk through a quakie thicket,..shortly after that the herd began to move off,.. some fast,.. 500 foot elevation up, they all herded up and did the late season elk thing. We were done with only minutes left of shooting light.
Well we( I ) blew it. Patience truly is a virtue in hunting,.. but I cant tree stand hunt either :o The kids excitement was a thrill for me too.
The kid was excited he wanted to know about tomorrow, I told him we would talk about it at the truck. On the hike out we had single digit temperatures, a good strong wind; lucky on our backs; three hours and 45 minutes later we were at the truck. Down the road it was 2 below zero. I knew we wouldnt be hunting today ;)

Another great hunt, that wasn't ruined by a kill :shock:

Early this morning the weatherman said reported wind chill for the area was -38. He was sure that was not accurate. A assure you that report was wrong,.. it was colder :lol: 8-)
Lefty

Postby Swede » 12 05, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Lefty wrote: but I cant tree stand hunt either

You continue to chase elk and work like you have and that tree stand thing will come to you.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 05, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Swede wrote:
Lefty wrote: but I cant tree stand hunt either

You continue to chase elk and work like you have and that tree stand thing will come to you.

Unfortunately I know that Swede does have some wisdom. At least as I sit in pleasent agony of yesterdays excitement and experience :lol:
I just know sure as heck there isnt a horse in my future in th hunt,.. ll let a horse pack out meat,.. but not me..
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 12 06, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Were headed out for one last chance. I would guess nobody will go down to where those elk were.
Hoping the want to crass that same ridge.
this time were doing it my way. Maybe
Lefty

Postby elkstalker » 12 06, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Hopefully you had a good hunt today Lefty! I watched about a thousand geese heading south yesterday afternoon so you should have some fresh birds to play with when you're done with the elk.
elkstalker

Postby Lefty » 12 10, 2018 •  [Post 17]

elkstalker wrote:Hopefully you had a good hunt today Lefty! I watched about a thousand geese heading south yesterday afternoon so you should have some fresh birds to play with when you're done with the elk.
Still no knew geese!!

Interesting hunt. Seems we were the only ones that knew where the elk were.Mostly 300 plus hered up, 2 1/2 miles from the nearest FS road.
We ended up watching them the first night,.. nealy all were bedded on the edge of private property.
Then we had an adventure at a motel. Only the kids were there. Very limited heat, unmade room, we were the only guest. The hot water was only luke warm,

Spent all of Saturday waiting for something to change.. The elk had a sweeping view. The only approach would give the elk the wind. We tried the waiting game but the elk all moved directly onto private ground. once they got up
Lefty

Postby Joe Schmo » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 18]

There's a reason those tags are easier to draw but you gotta really feel like a pioneer braving the winter conditions in search of food for the winter!! Go get em. Just had some guys who'd never done a late cow hunt come back with 3 or 4 tags punched but they had a bit more range on their weapons :/
Joe Schmo