Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Favorite Environment

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Favorite Environment

Postby Swede » 12 08, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Even for bow hunting I prefer fairly open country to hunt elk in. I need trees around or some cover, but I really don't care to have a lot. I want to be able to see out 100 yards or more. In a tree stand I like some cover, but just enough to break up my outline. If I am on the ground calling, I want enough cover, or a break in the ground to effectively hide me.
What is your favorite environment to hunt elk in.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Favorite Environment

Postby saddlesore » 12 09, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Although I have shot a few elk in the open and much prefer more open country, I have had more success in heavy timber. Probably because by the time center fire rifle season rolls around,the elk do not frequent open country. In ML season.I prefer country where I can see 60-70 yards
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Kellum » 12 11, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Being that I like to use calling as my number one tactic for elk, I prefer hunting heavy timber. In my opinion it’s easier to get a good tight set up before I can work them with my calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kellum

Postby Indian Summer » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I like semi open. A mix of open grass or sage with 50-60% timber. That way I can locate elk and have cover to get closer. The elk where I hunt spend time in the open feeding and sometimes even bedding. I’ve hunted places where the open meadows were fun to look at but elk were never there during shooting light so they were useless unless it was really late in the season and they were migrating.

I’ve killed my share of elk in timber but I’ve also been busted in there more times than I like.

The edges of burns are good places to hunt too.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby BrentLaBere » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I have mixed feelings on this. Picture perfect location is high country basin hunting near the top of tree line. Steep rugged country with some nice upper mountain streams and bugling elk echoing off canyon walls. I love the view and hunting this type of terrain the most. I also find it very difficult terrain to hunt and then adding in the swirling winds can make it even more frustrating. But I would still say its my favorite environment to hunt elk in.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere