Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Montana season dates 2019

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Montana season dates 2019

Postby DWBMontana » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I see the proposed dates for archer deer and rifle in Montana is Sept. 7- Oct. 20th. Rifle will run from the Oct. 26th to Dec. 1. Just curious on what folks thought's are with the almost 3 weeks in Oct. for bow hunting. I have a lease of 11,000 acres here in Montana, and have 3 groups coming in during sept and early oct., much value in trying to lease the next 3 weeks? I am looking at just leasing it 1 more time, if all would work out, any thoughts? I will not be leasing any rifle hunting, even during sept or oct where bear or antelope would be legal with a rifle.
DWBMontana

Re: Montana season dates 2019

Postby Lsb » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Those aren't proposed dates. Archery starts first Saturday in September and runs six weeks. I kinda like it, labor day weekend crowd is out of the woods for opener. Bulls will still be looking for cows in October. The hot and heavy is over but they're still out there.
Lsb

Postby Swede » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Lsb wrote:I kinda like it, labor day weekend crowd is out of the woods for opener.

We never get that situation in Oregon as our opener will start 8/24 for archery. I wonder if the Labor Day hunters won't just come later and postpone their noise and revelry in the elk woods? They will check the moon and talk about those bugling bulls, then head out just in time to create the maximum nuisance affect. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Once September ends rutting can drop off really fast. I’d say if a hunter was into spot and stalk or ambush hunting and the elk are still there after they’ve been hunted for a month on 11,000 acres it could be ok hunting. Probably worth half of what anything in September is worth.

Are you sure you want someone hunting it that close to when you’ll be hunting?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby DWBMontana » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Yes, it will be interesting with the opening weekend not Labor day, I know living up here on the Milk river just north of the breaks, a whole lot of folks would usually be out hunting that weekend, oh well, guess walleye will have to do for another weekend...
DWBMontana

Postby Chuckler » 12 13, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I like the dates. The first week of September can be pretty hit and miss with smoke and heat in Montana. On the other end, some of the best bugling action I have seen has been in October. Last year I called a 5x5 in to 30 yards October 23 while his two buddies bugled away in the background. This year, I still heard a few bugles November 3rd. You just never know.
Chuckler

Postby DWBMontana » 12 14, 2018 •  [Post 7]

2,3 and 4 years ago, we have actually had bulls still rutting pretty well on rifle opener in Montana where I hunt, we had 2 youngsters hunting 2 years ago, they both dropped nice bulls opening weekend thanks to being able to hear them long before seeing them....very nice. It was the 12 year old's first elk hunt, his brother who took a nice little 6 pt had taken bulls before.
DWBMontana

Postby DWBMontana » 12 14, 2018 •  [Post 8]

2,3 and 4 years ago, we have actually had bulls still rutting pretty well on rifle opener in Montana where I hunt, we had 2 youngsters hunting 2 years ago, they both dropped nice bulls opening weekend thanks to being able to hear them long before seeing them....very nice.
Attachments
Q elk.jpg
Q elk.jpg (275 KiB) Viewed 2784 times
DWBMontana

Postby DWBMontana » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Well, the bow season running a little later then we commonly see has not stopped interest in my lease. I secured another group of 4 for mid Oct. I also secured another 2200 acres from neighboring landowners the past couple of weeks. That brings the deeded acres to over 13,000, that with numerous state sections and federal forest service land in the Little Belts.
DWBMontana

Postby Lsb » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 10]

DWBMontana wrote:Well, the bow season running a little later then we commonly see has not stopped interest in my lease. I secured another group of 4 for mid Oct. I also secured another 2200 acres from neighboring landowners the past couple of weeks. That brings the deeded acres to over 13,000, that with numerous state sections and federal forest service land in the Little Belts.

Score!
Lsb