Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree Stand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree Stand

Postby Swede » 12 13, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Why aren't you using a tree stand for elk hunting? Maybe you don't like taking unfair advantage of the critters, or you really don't like butchering elk and packing them out. They do tend to be rather heavy. What is it? :D
I would put this on the tree stand forum, but then I would get mostly tree stand hunters. Duh.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Tree Stand

Postby Chuckler » 12 13, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Because I don't have any patience! Occasionally I get the idea to sit, after about 10 minutes my attention span has reached its limits. Call and move until I find em.
Chuckler

Postby scubohuntr » 12 14, 2018 •  [Post 3]

One, I haven't yet found a spot that has an even chance of having an elk in the same zip code.

Two, I'm still a bit leery of my ability to use one safely after falling off one and getting busted up pretty good in 2001.

If I found a place that had elk on a fairly regular basis I would probably consider using a tree stand again. As it is, my season consists primarily of pointless hiking in the hope of finding a place where elk at least walk through sometimes. The one thing I can say for it is at least I am getting some exercise. Putting up a tree stand would take even that away.
scubohuntr

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 14, 2018 •  [Post 4]

swede, someday I'll put more focus on Treestanding bulls but for now I absolutely love covering tons of ground to locate a bugler then hunting/calling him! Heck, I call them even when they don't need to be called, I could slip in silent here & there but where's the fun in that! (grin) For me, it's not so much about the kill as it is in beating them at their own game, that thrill & adrenaline hasn't gotten old yet!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby saddlesore » 12 14, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I am clumsy enough on the ground. I sure don't want to test it 20 feet in the air
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lsb » 12 14, 2018 •  [Post 6]

ElkNut1 wrote:swede, someday I'll put more focus on Treestanding bulls but for now I absolutely love covering tons of ground to locate a bugler then hunting/calling him! Heck, I call them even when they don't need to be called, I could slip in silent here & there but where's the fun in that! (grin) For me, it's not so much about the kill as it is in beating them at their own game, that thrill & adrenaline hasn't gotten old yet!

ElkNut/Paul

Pretty much this. Why hunt them like a whitetail?

And no patience, 2 hours in one spot is about all I can take.
Lsb

Postby Swede » 12 14, 2018 •  [Post 7]

scubohuntr wrote:One, I haven't yet found a spot that has an even chance of having an elk in the same zip code. Two, I'm still a bit leery of my ability to use one safely after falling off one and getting busted up pretty good in 2001.

Scubo, your problems are solvable. These other characters are hopeless. :D There is a lot on information in the archives and the tree stand book which pretty much has the same information can help you find good locations and advise you on safe tree stand hunting.
Swede

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 12 14, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I've thought about this... I have a lightweight tree saddle setup. I could get 20 feet up real deep in the back country. But then I imagine how long it would take to starve to death when my legs both break on the fall, 5 miles back, with no cell service. No counting on a SPOT beacon if your spine snaps and you can't move your hands.

I've not climbed enough to say I'm comfortable with the safety risks. Talk to me in a couple years after I learn this system a little better!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Swede » 12 14, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Here is an information notice. You will not fall if you follow prescribed safety practices. It can't happen. You can and likely will fall if you take short cuts. It is a good idea to have a buddy with you when you rig and unrig a tree.

Climb only healthy solid trees large enough to support your weight times three. Secure yourself to the tree with a climbing harness and set your steps as you ascend. Have your safety line with you as you go up. Set the safety line up and drop one end to the ground when you get to the desired level. Bring up your stand on the safety line or a good drop line while staying secured to the tree at all times.

BTW: I have been just as bored on the ground when not getting elk as I have been in a tree not getting elk. Having elk come in while I am in a stand is every bit as exciting as having elk come close when I am on the ground. There are times when tree stand hunting can be boring. That is why books were invented.
Swede

Postby stringunner » 12 16, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Swedes says “BTW: I have been just as bored on the ground when not getting elk as I have been in a tree not getting elk. Having elk come in while I am in a stand is every bit as exciting as having elk come close when I am on the ground. There are times when tree stand hunting can be boring. That is why books were invented.”

I agree. Primarily I tree stand, I have learned to enjoy it as much as run and gun. I actually have found I have to spend far more time scouting and working hard to harvest one from the tree than when I did hunting on the ground. I start in May every year going out hiking and looking for that perfect spot. Some years I end up back at old reliable spots and some years in new trees, it’s not as easy as just throwing a stand in a any tree at any good looking spot. I find it just has challenging. I like both methods, I have just been far more successful in my current area while in a stand. A Different location may be a different story, but for now I’m content in my stand.

This year, I called a bull into my stand. He stood below me, directly below me as I was 35’ feet up above. He stood there for close to 5 minutes before I got a clear shot. I got to watch him come in to my calls. Perhaps it was the best of both methods this year. I had the same “rush” with him below me as I do when calling them in on the ground. And they taste just as good, and I get to eat them more often when hunting from my stand. 8-)
stringunner

Postby Lsb » 12 16, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:Here is an information notice. You will not fall if you follow prescribed safety practices. It can't happen. You can and likely will fall if you take short cuts. It is a good idea to have a buddy with you when you rig and unrig a tree.

Climb only healthy solid trees large enough to support your weight times three. Secure yourself to the tree with a climbing harness and set your steps as you ascend. Have your safety line with you as you go up. Set the safety line up and drop one end to the ground when you get to the desired level. Bring up your stand on the safety line or a good drop line while staying secured to the tree at all times.

BTW: I have been just as bored on the ground when not getting elk as I have been in a tree not getting elk. Having elk come in while I am in a stand is every bit as exciting as having elk come close when I am on the ground. There are times when tree stand hunting can be boring. That is why books were invented.

Don't say can't. You've heard the saying make something idiot proof and they'll build a better idiot. Well here I am!
Lsb

Postby scubohuntr » 12 17, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Swede wrote:
scubohuntr wrote:One, I haven't yet found a spot that has an even chance of having an elk in the same zip code. Two, I'm still a bit leery of my ability to use one safely after falling off one and getting busted up pretty good in 2001.

Scubo, your problems are solvable. These other characters are hopeless. :D There is a lot on information in the archives and the tree stand book which pretty much has the same information can help you find good locations and advise you on safe tree stand hunting.

As soon as I solve the problem of finding a tree that the elk will walk by, I'll look into the others. I'm still not convinced that elk aren't entirely mythical beasties. I did a lot of research on tree stand safety after the fact, and I have a decent harness. One of my main problems is I don't have hunting buddies anymore, and knowing how much worse it would have been last time if I had been alone, I have to take a pretty conservative approach to risks.
scubohuntr

Postby Tigger » 12 17, 2018 •  [Post 13]

pretty simple for me. I tree stand hunt for whitetails. No desire to do it for elk as calling them in on the ground is so much fun (like Paul said). Sure you can kill elk from tree stand, but I just plain enjoy being on the ground more. I have plenty of time logged in a tree, I know what it is all about. Besides, as opposed to whitetail tree stand hunters, I have heard that elk tree stand hunters toenails grow at an accelerated pace and I want no part of that.
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 17, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Tigger wrote:Besides, as opposed to whitetail tree stand hunters, I have heard that elk tree stand hunters toenails grow at an accelerated pace and I want no part of that.

Well....... that settles that :lol:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 12 17, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Of coarse elk tree stand hunters toenails and fingernails grow fast. That is how they and the squirrels ascend and descend a tree. And might I add, Safely.
Swede