Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Biggest Mistake in 2018/Lesson Learned

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Biggest Mistake in 2018/Lesson Learned

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 1]

If I've learned anything over my few years of elk hunting is that there is value in failure. Mistakes teach us lessons that stick with us for future hunts. I've seen hunters that make mistakes and seem to learn nothing from them, and, make the same mistakes again and again. I've also learned that sharing our mistakes assist others in not tripping on that same log in the trail.

For those who were able to get out after wapiti in 2018, what was your biggest mistake? What lesson was learned from it?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Biggest Mistake in 2018/Lesson Learned

Postby Indian Summer » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Don’t lead a horse over a frozen bog that barely supports your own weight.

Don’t head into a swamp on a horse in the dark especially if you’ve never seen the place in daylight before.

2017 I learned some really painful lessons. If you hunt hard for elk every year it might be a good idea to have your gun professionally cleaned every few years. Hearing click instead of boom when a 6 point bull is standing 30 yards away is something I’ll never forget.

It’s not over until you are at the truck. Be ready until the end. After dogging 5 bulls and having them out walk me on my last half day of hunting I decided to unload the gun and lash it to my pack to make my way across steep snowy avalanche chutes and down the mountain. After all I was backtracking country I just stomped through AND it was 1:30 in the afternoon. Third chute there’s a 6 point bull standing there begging to go home in the treezer. His bugle as he turned and SLOWLY walked into the timber was a sad way to end a hunt. Never again!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Have to agree on that last paragraph. I was guiding a fellow and his son in ML season this past season..We already had a few encounters, but didn't close the deal. So I took them to anther area. It was 3:30 and we had just snuck into a small meadow .I told them I would not start calling until 4PM. I had told the son,not to sling his gun over his back.
We hadn't even got settled yet when 5 cows and bull busted out of the timber not 60 yards away going like heck, down across the meadow and cross the creek.My mistake for not thinking there were any elk around.Son's mistake that the rifle was slung across his shoulder.
I have made that mistake several times.Just can't stop from doing it. Hunt every day of the season until the last hour of the last day.Expect to see an elk at anytime. Don't go home if you are not seeing elk.You sure won't see them sitting on the couch.

Mistake in rifle season. Don't shoot a bull that is too big for one person to process and lift up on the mule
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 4]

On the afternoon before the hunting season opened, I found a great looking spot to ambush elk. I was headed into another location to hang my stand when I came upon this new spot quite by accident. It was hammered with fresh elk sign and the wallow was still riled. I decided to stop right there and set up. Everything looked ok, but my shooting lanes were few and far between. I thought I could get by, but that was a mistake. I should have hiked out and brought in a saw to clear some small trees and other obstructions. It ended up costing me several good shots at some elk.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby southernelk » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 5]

quality hunting and camping gear make a difference. there were 3 of us in camp, one our backpacks was not the highest of quality lets just say but my plan was to just haul loose meat with that pack. well it turned out to be worthless which meant more trips. also, I should have listened to advice and bought a wood stove instead of heating with the buddy heaters. not only is the fuel free for a wood stove but it keeps the tent much warmer. the buddy heaters kept the tent warm enough but propane got to be expensive and when that thing goes out at night, boy does it get cold quick.
southernelk

Postby Lefty » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 6]

southernelk wrote:when that thing goes out at night, boy does it get cold quick.

When a wood stove goes out the same thing happens,.. or coal or gas,.. Ive experienced all three. Most hunts I don't use ancillary heat source. A comfy pad/mattress and bag are wonderful things.

Shut your phone all the way off :lol: And not just airplane mode
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Often during the entire archery season wood stoves are prohibited. I could not use mine last season. It can still get cold, so a propane heater is the best option I know of.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lsb » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Landowner puts cows in the pasture the elk like on September 15. Elk move off the ranch. Get there before September 15.
Lsb

Postby Fridaythe13th » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 9]

A mistake that work out. It was one of those days no elk, no bugles, no elk sign, just sheep pooh. It was an area we hadn't been to in a couple of years but the day before we had 1 bugle somewhere in this area.
Early afternoon we hiked up the mountain did some location bugles with no results, like I said sheep sign everywhere. 1 of us pick up a rock and throws it down the hill back where we came from, pretty soon we all were chucking stone down the hill to see whose where rolling the farthest. I know I'm a 46 year old kid. Lol. We pick up and hunted till 4 or 5 and started heading back to camp. The last hill going down to camp a half mile out I pick up a rock and tossed it down the hill and this thing rolled down, down, down the hill the other to guys looked at me like what the hell you doing, I shrugged it off because we have never seen a elk that close to camp. We walk down the hill to a little beach and at the edge of the beach a cow was standing there looking at me 30 yards I grabbed a arrow and let it fly. She ran 60 yard towards the freezer and tipped over. The 1 guy looked at me and said why did you throw that rock. All I said was, it worked didn't it. But I would like to know what that elk was thinking.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S