Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Making Your Plan

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Making Your Plan

Postby Swede » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 1]

We are rapidly approaching winter when we will be dreaming of elk hunting and making plans for our next hunt. What can you do at home or nearby? What do you do or look for and who do you ask so you can plan a scouting trip, or prepare for your next hunt with some real basis for confidence?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Making Your Plan

Postby Lefty » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Hope to go snow maching in our elk area. Diffferent season diffrent perspective.

My daughters headed up top Jackson to do the sleigh ride on the elk refuge,

Ill spend more time here on this forum :D
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby six » 12 20, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Lefty wrote: Ill spend more time here on this forum :D

Meet up with our elk crew a couple times to discuss points and where to apply. I'll go on a couple family vacations to build up brownie points with the wife. Most important as far as the actual hunt goes is staying in elk shape.

I'll also talk with a couple of western guys I've met on here to get updates on how the elk are doing off season.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Indian Summer » 12 20, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Nothing really. I couldn’t be any more confident. I do plan to reload ammo at some point and extend my shooting range. Other than that I could start hunting tomorrow. Well.... after they mail me a license of course.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 12 20, 2018 •  [Post 5]

walking 2 miles most mornings (man, today sucked with a 20 mph wind out of the north and 22 degrees....right into my face!).

I am trying to herd the cats at this forum called WapitiTalk. It is getting harder and harder. The dadgum owner of the site has been coloring outside the lines and creating undue mischief that I have to come in and clean up after hours! The other moderators leave their muddy boots on and leave mud all over and one of them spilled chocolate milk all over, yet no one will admit it! And I know it is winter as I am finding Elknuts hidden all over just like we were infested by a pack of oversized squirrels! Indian Summer used the corporate Lear Jet last and he must of spilled a cast of Cheetos all over the fine leather interior. Hard to tell if any actually got to his mouth or not. It is not clean and ready for anyone to check out. I hope he doesn't bring back the boss's Big Red muscle car full of Cheetos :shock:. In other words, a typical off season!

I think our drawing strategy is going to change somewhat this year as we might apply in a NM just to see how lucky we are (we aren't lucky though). Most likely we will end up in Grizzlyville MT.
Tigger

Postby Elkhntr08 » 12 21, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I’ve picked a couple units in Wyoming, now I need to figure out their draw system. I’d like to chat with someone who’s been in the area to see if I’m thinking correctly.
Need to get lean and mean again.
Get a solid plan B and C. Possibly back to Idaho or Colorado.
Donate some money to New Mexico and Arizona.
Elkhntr08

Postby Tigger » 12 21, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I can help with WY licensing questions if you have any.
Tigger

Postby Elkhntr08 » 12 22, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Tigger wrote:I can help with WY licensing questions if you have any.

You may regret saying that! I’m sending you a PM now.
Elkhntr08