Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Pass It On

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Pass It On

Postby Swede » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I suppose my dream elk hunt would involve a train ride to western Wyoming in the year 1910. I would go with 3 or 4 buddies with my 30-06 and peep sights. We would have a wagon and horses in a separate car until we arrived at our departure point. There would be no tags required and nothing more modern that 1910. After the hunt, there would be some nice trophies and great stories. After a few such trips, I would love to write a book about the adventures. Mostly I would want to pass the love of the hunt on to others.
Today I would enjoy writing a book about hunting, but even more I enjoy passing along the passion that makes it all so enjoyable. What about you? Do you pass your love of elk hunting on? If so who hunts today or soon will because of your passion for the sport?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Pass It On

Postby Old school » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I'm passing it on to both of my sons and then a young man in my church being raised by a single mom. My boys and I have taken him on the youth deer hunt the past 2 years and he has had a blast. Then last year we took him with us running our trap line he got to shoot a coon, help skin and flesh it. Then my youngest son tanned it for him. I think he's catching the outdoor fever.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Tigger » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I am also passing it on to my two boys and daughter. they have graced the meat pole thread here already.

Then I organize a Youth Outdoor Activity Day that had over 2.200 kids attend last year. I have written about it before. It has really grown in popularity beyond our wildest expectations. I also teach firearm safety class. These things keep me plenty busy passing it on to the next generations.
Tigger

Postby Lsb » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 4]

My two daughters have the bug bad. Oldest packed a bow elk hunting for the first time this year. I teach/coach a group of 9&10 year olds archery one Friday a month. I coach 4-h archery, right now we are shooting weekly and have 40+ kids shooting. The last two years I have coached the Olympic recurve 4-h teams from Montana to Nationals. I just got asked to coach the archery team that is getting started at MSU. That's going to happen be fun I think.
Lsb

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Look no further than old Paul Medel, the ElkNut for a testament on how to “pass it on”. I’ve never met his equal. I try to do my small part by inviting newer elk hunters to my camp every few years, invite folks out to my ranch for calling practice/bow tuning etc, helping folks with plans for their elk hunts to states I’ve hunted, and keep our stinky WapitiTalk forum gassed up and running.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Idahonian » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Not to get too off topic, but weren’t elk nearly wiped out in 1910? The good ‘old days weren’t always that great...

https://www.postindependent.com/sports/ ... rly-1900s/
Idahonian

Postby Swede » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I have also read that elk were mostly plains animals until they were reduced to primarily mountain critters and heavy cover. I am sure settlements and easy hunting seriously reduced the elk population in the open prairie lands. I wasn't there, but I strongly suspect there were good elk numbers in the mountains in 1910. Still my point was one of nostalgia for simpler times and more primitive hunting, and not necessarily game everywhere. Probably one of the most appealing things to me was the simplicity of the regulations. When I was a kid the big game hunting booklet was short and simple. Now it is a full magazine of times, places and more don't than there was even a possibility for mischief at back then.
In the text Elk of North America Ecology and Management page 522 It says Wyoming initiated elk licenses "around the turn of the century" ( about1900) along with Alberta, British Columbia, Montana, Idaho and Washington. Before that time no license was required. Other States followed. In Colorado the season was closed from 1903-1929.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby DWBMontana » 12 20, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I enjoy passing on my love of hunting to those who haven't had the chances I have had. I look back and realize how fortunate I am, and it all begins with being born and raised in the greatest country ever on earth. That is why I enjoy being involved with the Montana Warriors On The Water, you can check out the thread if you have not seen it. To digress, one thing I hope that does not get passed on...the need to talk about booner's, hit list, b&C points, I have no need for it all.
DWBMontana

Postby Lefty » 12 20, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I’ve taken dozens and dozens of guys on their first goose hunts

My daughtersboyfriend has never hunted before this year. He took his first d
Buck phrased ducks and geese with us.
After he got his archerycertificate we got him under 59 yards a bunch of times on bugling elk
He is hooked.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H