Ground blinds?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Ground blinds?

Postby DWBMontana » 12 23, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Who has shot an elk from one?
DWBMontana

Re: Ground blinds?

Postby Indian Summer » 12 23, 2018 •  [Post 2]

The only thing I’ve ever shot from a blind are turkeys. If I was going to sit I’d be up a tree like Swede.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 12 23, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I have hunted out of a blind numerous times, but have never shot any big game animal from one. One was set up next to my tree stand and a fellow shot a 5X5 bull from it. I know it can be done.
The knot-head left a chunk of meat in the seat of my stand for me to see when I returned, then came back later and stole my stand.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Shot yes, killed no
Bounced and arrow of the g4 of a bull my first year. Got pics of bulls walking past in 96 degree heat,. had cows and calves rubbing on the blind as I sat inches away
,.. ,
spike walking buy opening week 96 degrees small.JPG
spike walking buy opening week 96 degrees small.JPG (41.05 KiB) Viewed 2779 times

IMG_4726.JPG

Some where I have some neat pics of bears through a pop up blind. A bull with my blind 22 yards away another pic of a herd 14 yards away

When walking is too tough I'll hunt out of a blind again
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Idahonian » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Picking up on this, any tips, dos, do-nots? I think our group may pick one up this year, we had a group all patterned but our brush blind could’ve been better
Idahonian

Postby Lsb » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Idahonian wrote:Picking up on this, any tips, dos, do-nots? I think our group may pick one up this year, we had a group all patterned but our brush blind could’ve been better

Don't get one with the little fake leaves that blow in the wind. I had one deer wouldn't come within 90 yards. A buddy told me to cut the leaves off. I did, next time out killed a deer at 10 yards.
Lsb

Postby DWBMontana » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Nice pics Lefty. I already own a few ground blinds, I have mainly used them for kids hunting deer and turkeys. I have on pop up type that is mobile, the other two, one is a Redneck box blind, the other is a Nature blind, looks like an old dead tree trunk, I have had both visited by all kinds of critters. I will be moving them to the new ranch I will be hunting in 2019, and I am thinking with a pivot on the place and a reservoir that butt's up to a couple deep draws, there will be a few good locals to set them up. Not only should they be good for kids, but like I mentioned on other threads, I am involved with Montana Warriors On The Water here in Montana and offering hunts for both former and current service members is high on my priorities list, and these blinds will be of great use at times for those hunts. I have friends who hunt regularly out of tree stands down in the Missouri breaks for elk along the river, and they do pretty well. In my experiences elk can be patterned some, not as much as a whitetail, but they definitely have their habits and putting a few blinds on the ranch should make things interesting.
DWBMontana

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Best blind I ever used was a horse trailer. I backed it up to a water hole. Opened the back door and hung a camo curtain over the door way. I had a nice easy chair inside. Plenty of room inside to stand up an stretch your legs if you wanted to. Since then I've used popup blinds, pit blinds, and wooden blinds similar to Lefty's picture. They all work! :D
>>>---WW---->

Postby jmez » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Look at the new Double Bull 360. It works. My biggest complaint with blinds is lack of visibility. The new DB fixes that.

I bought one for my kids to deer hunt out of this fall and loved it. The full visibility is great. Seems well made and held up well so far. I really like it, esp for rifle hunting.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby saddlesore » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Why do I see hunters in full camo, inside of ground blinds? I have always wondered about that. :P
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 11]

saddlesore wrote:Why do I see hunters in full camo, inside of ground blinds? I have always wondered about that. :P

I suppose it's for the same reason most rifle and smoke pole hunters wear camo under their required orange vest and hat. :o Actually, I prefer a black shirt when sitting in a blind.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Elkduds » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 12]

saddlesore wrote:Why do I see hunters in full camo, inside of ground blinds? I have always wondered about that. :P

Indeed. Why camo knives, keychains, headlamps, flashlights, phone cases, guns, atvs, trucks...
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby jmez » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Camo knives, keychains etc is a great idea. You drop that stuff and can't find it. Companies are increasing their sales!

All my accessory stuff is bright orange.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Lefty » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I use to wear only black,.. cheap cotton camo, dyed in black disappears inside,.. on top

Spent a few days ibn the hard rains. The place Ill spent my too old to hunt days
IMG_5581.JPG

PICT0366.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H