Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wyoming unit 39 elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wyoming unit 39 elk

Postby Scott69 » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Thinking about getting out of holding points and chasing units that gain 1-2 points each year.With point creep, it seems like I'll never catch the 3-4 units I've been looking at for years.I probably would catch up in 5-6 years,but not sure I want to wait it out that long
So I'm looking at unit 39 as pretty much a sure thing as I have more then enough points there even with potential point creep this year.I wanted to take my 12 year old along as well and get him a type 4 tag since it's only $100 for juniors.
Does anyone have experience in the unit?Success rates seem really good.Curious as to the terrain and hunting pressure,and if it's a day hunt area or more suited for packing in to hunt.The terrain in the unit is a big consideration being as I plan to bring my son with.Ive read it has high elevation forest,mid level area with steep canyons down to private land sage country.Im wondering how deep these canyons are and if they hold many elk as compared to the timbered areas.If anyone's hunted the unit,is it a place you'd take a 12 year old on an elk hunt?He's in good shape;plays football and basketball.I have no doubt he'd train with me as well all spring/summer.I want him to enjoy his first trip and not get beat so bad it scares him from wanting to do it again
Scott69

Re: Wyoming unit 39 elk

Postby jmez » 12 24, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Not hunted 39 but have hunted Bighorns south of there. It is real mountain hunting like anywhere else. The elk will stay as high as possible until the weather pushes them out. They won't be down around the roads. A fit 12 year old should be ok in there.

Weather can be a real issue in 39, early snows. Have 2 buddies that live in Sheridan and both have drawn 39. Neither hunted it because of early snow and they couldn't get anywhere when the season started. When it snows the elk will all move down out of the mountains on to private ground. If the weather cooperates it is really good.

Plan on a base camp. Not real conducive to packing in as there are roads everywhere. Bighorns are full of roads, pretty hard to get a mile away from them. Success rates are good as there are a lot of elk. Expect company and a lot of it. An ATV or UTV is a huge help in the Bighorns due to all the trails. There are a lot of them you won't want to take a "stock" pick up on.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Indian Summer » 12 25, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Are you bow hunting or rifle? Regardless keep in mind that as a non resident you can’t hunt the wilderness areas so the Cloud Peak Wilderness which is the tops will be off limits.

No doubt as jmez said weather is a big factor if you’re gun hunting. Even without snow any pressure can send the elk onto private property. I hunted in 34 a couple years ago. I didn’t start hunting until October 30 because I was on private and wanted to wait until the elk had moved down. But I did take drives up top to check out the public land for future reference. I couldn’t believe how many roads there were. Also as jmez mentioned I wouldn’t take my shiny new truck on them but it was obvious the locals had beater trucks, Jeeps and atvs that they used on the roads. They were a smoother ride than the actual roads! But all that access took it’s toll. I could tell by the total lack of sign that the elk had abandoned the public land a long time ago.

They were stacked up on the ranches by the hundreds. That habit is passed down through generations. They even knew which ranches were hunted and which ones were safe refuges. There weren’t many elk at all on the ranch I hunted. Just over the fence I counted about 600 every day. No sheds where I was either but to the north and south I bet they were everywhere. Those elk knew better than to cross the line and they darn sure weren’t venturing back onto public land.

I think if I went back to gun hunt I’d hunt just behind the ranches on the very first week. If I was bow hunting I’d go as high as I could and try to stay away from roads. I’d also be looking for more pointers from locals or someone with experience there in more than one season because it can be so hit or miss. The bow season in 39 is fantastic though. One thing about the Bighorns though is the genetics are good and there are definitely some nice big bulls there. I think your choice of units is good. Just make sure you have a good gameplan to go with it.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Scott69 » 12 25, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Thanks,that's the kind of imfo I was looking for.Ill have to double-check,but believe I can archery hunt there late on a type 1 tag.Ill start checking out some on line maps to look over the area,and Google Earth.If I can,I'd definitely go solo in archery and then bring my youngest son for opener of rifle.Id get there 2 days early to scout before rifle season
I appreciate the imfo though.After I burn my points,I'll be sticking to general I believe
Scott69

Postby Indian Summer » 12 26, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Any time you have the opportunity to go get boots on the ground before a hunt it’s priceless. If I were you I’d knock on a few doors when you are bow hunting and tell them you’re hoping for a chance to show your young son a positive experience hunting in Wyoming. Some ranchers have their hunting rights leased to outfitters so their hands are tied but if you’re persistent you might find one who doesn’t care about anything but cattle and says sure come shoot one of those grass thieves! Good luck.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 26, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Unit 39 offers more than enough public land so hunters do not have to worry about hunting too close to private lands. No need to bivy hunt the unit, you can day hunt it with lots of enjoyable encounters.

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul