Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How to be a Successful Elk Hunter..with Poll

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What factors play into an elk hunter being successful...

1. Exhaustive research (before and during season) on an area to be hunted.
14%
2. Physical conditioning.
9%
3. Quantity of days actually spent hunting each season.
14%
4. Location (hunting in the absolute best place).
10%
5. Proficiency with weapon of choice.
4%
6. Understanding elk mannerisms.
15%
7. Being a proficient caller.
4%
8. Persistence.
19%
9. Hunting solo, or, only with a great partner.
2%
10. A combination of many/all above and ................ (chime in on thread).
9%

View results

How to be a Successful Elk Hunter..with Poll

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 02, 2019 •  [Post 1]

OK, it has been said that 10% of the hunters take 90% of the elk. I feel this isn't too far from the truth. So, how is this accomplished each year, by pretty much the same hunters? Most all elk hunters actually hunt in an area that contain elk, right? That said, why is it that seemingly the same percent of say 100 hunters in the field are able to create those sought after shot opportunities year after year? I've emplaced a poll (you can make multiple choices) that I'm hoping folks chime in on but open discussion is certainly encouraged.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: How to be a Successful Elk Hunter..with Poll

Postby saddlesore » 01 02, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I only marked 3,4,6. You need to be out there hunting, ,you need to know where the elk are and you need to keep a tit and not give up.
I don't do a lot of research,I am in extremely poor shape, I call very little,I am fairly proficient with my rifle, I can hunt solo or have a camp full
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 01 02, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I marked 5 blocks. I am not sure why I chose those as opposed to some others. I don't think great physical condition is all it is cracked up to be. I do know this: If Saddlesore has 5 days to hunt an area and you put a newbie into that same area, and give him 20 days to hunt it, I would expect Saddlesore to have his mules loaded on his return home and the newbie to just be sore.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 02, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Didn’t put it in the original poll choices but how about aggressiveness? I seldom go a year without shot opportunities and aggressiveness is a significant part of my methodology and has been for years. Anyone know what I’m referring to?
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 01 03, 2019 •  [Post 5]

3, 4, & 8 for me. Call me narrow minded but.... being persistent in a really good area for as many days as possible seems like a no brainer!

Being persistent in an area with no elk (yes people do that) is a waste of time.

Not being persistent in an area with lots of elk (yes people do that too!) ain’t gonna work!

And trying to kill one in any area in just a few days is like playing the lottery one day a year. Good luck with that.

Researching a crappy area? Nope. Calling in an elkless area? Nope.

Being a great shot and/or understanding elk mannerisms where there aren’t any or for only 3-5 days isn’t going to fill the freezer either.

Make sue you’re in a great area... hunt like a dog for at least 10 days or more and you’ve done all you can do.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby DBLGBL » 01 03, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I think quality is as important as quantity of days hunted. We try to be in the mountains in the pure heart of the breeding and this in itself equals more opportunities. Physical fitness is important to the aggressive way we hunt. Also understanding mannerisms and the ability to call. Again it's our style of hunting .

2gbl
DBLGBL

Postby Tigger » 01 03, 2019 •  [Post 7]

saddlesore wrote:I only marked 3,4,6. You need to be out there hunting, ,you need to know where the elk are and you need to keep a tit and not give up.
I don't do a lot of research,I am in extremely poor shape, I call very little,I am fairly proficient with my rifle, I can hunt solo or have a camp full

Geez Vince, I would have never guessed the secret to elk hunting is keeping one of those!
Tigger

Postby BrentLaBere » 01 03, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Research will certainly help you be in the right location. Those two go together for me. Understanding elk is the next one for me. Putting yourself in a good location with elk knowledge will now only come down to being persistent. Adjust to what the elk are doing and you will find yourself getting opportunities. Everything else is just adding to certain situations. I used to put a lot of emphasis on my conditioning and dont worry about it anymore. Its more of a mindset in my opinion.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Old school » 01 03, 2019 •  [Post 9]

3,4,8 and 1 for me. Positive attitude and persistence in less than ideal circumstances rank high for me.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby saddlesore » 01 03, 2019 •  [Post 10]

For me,the one that doesn't appear is to find a really stupid elk. I have had tremendous success with that
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 01 03, 2019 •  [Post 11]

I voted for a bunch of them, but the #1 for me is paying attention to details all year long but especially while hunting. I think if you looked at the unsuccessful hunters out there, you would see a pattern of cutting corners somewhere. They people who put in their time and effort are usually the ones that are successful. Having said that, with millions of hunters, there will always be that unprepared slob who stumbles out totally unprepared and shoots a huge one.
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 04, 2019 •  [Post 12]

saddlesore wrote:For me,the one that doesn't appear is to find a really stupid elk.

:lol: Yep....
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 01 04, 2019 •  [Post 13]

When I am in my stand and waiting, I want thirsty elk. The thirstier the better. I prefer relaxed elk. Those that come in spring loaded and nervous can be tough to get. The slightest movement or the wrong sound, ever so slight can cause a panic. I don't like elk in a panic.
Swede

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Brains, fresh elk sign, and a killer attitude will take you a long way.

You have to be around elk to kill elk, then you have to be smart enough to understand what the fresh sign means, and it really helps to have the mentality of a starving wolf. :lol:

Research is good, but can't beat observant trail miles. It's one thing to cover 10 miles, it's another to assimilate the sign you're seeing and adapt your gameplan.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Lefty » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 15]

I am not in the top 10% yet.

Often the same is said for fishing and many other outdoor pursuits. As far as the poll, my opinion some degree of each of the selection is needed.
Most of the poll selections can work both ways. Or the statement needs to go much deeper. They are each their own argument.

Ill just pick on one Location the very best place to hunt.
What does that mean? To most it may mean a large elk population.High harvest rate.
To me it means limited hunters, or limited hunter impact.
I use to hunt the desert. an Extremely low population density and incredible hunting, without people. At that time the average elk hunter ( rifle included ) hunted less than 7 days in Idaho. This unit the average number of hunt days was 13 per hunter( I was 5-7 ).
The archery success rate was average for the state at that time 8%. This unit had that same rate. How ever those hunters hunting twice as much only killed 6x6 bulls I killed the only cow in the unit over a number of years.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkduds » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 16]

I picked 1, 4 and 6. Those equal hunting where the elk are. Step 1, find elk. Step 2, hunt elk. If you get those backward you are just hiking w a gun or bow. There are many ways to find elk, on top of that list would be familiarity w the area from years of experience hunting it.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby lilshootergirl » 01 08, 2019 •  [Post 17]

I have tons of energy, some knowledge, stay in the field, no naps! In shape, rifle dialed into the size of a fly,Lots of research, scouting! I've chosen areas that have high percentage of animals, But sometimes its not enough! I'm wondering if ill ever get a bull? I try to do all the advice giving to me! No elk! Some ppl have either a honey hole someone has Past down or a ranch where they go! Yes, I'm so discouraged, especially when all the sign I see is wolves! Really considering hunting wolves and not hunt elk! Numbers are really getting bad! If everyone buys a wolf tags and hunted and start bringing numbers down, there will be more deer or elk to hunt! Ranchers can have enough hay to fed there cows! Hate to shoot your survey down, but I'm really getting discouraged, 1 cow in 10years! So how can I finally be successful?
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby Indian Summer » 01 08, 2019 •  [Post 18]

lilshootergirl wrote:I have tons of energy, some knowledge, stay in the field, no naps! In shape, rifle dialed into the size of a fly,Lots of research, scouting! I've chosen areas that have high percentage of animals, But sometimes its not enough! I'm wondering if ill ever get a bull? I try to do all the advice giving to me! No elk! Some ppl have either a honey hole someone has Past down or a ranch where they go! Yes, I'm so discouraged, especially when all the sign I see is wolves! Really considering hunting wolves and not hunt elk! Numbers are really getting bad! If everyone buys a wolf tags and hunted and start bringing numbers down, there will be more deer or elk to hunt! Ranchers can have enough hay to fed there cows! Hate to shoot your survey down, but I'm really getting discouraged, 1 cow in 10years! So how can I finally be successful?

You’re on the right track. Apply for a Wyoming license this year. If you don’t draw you getthe point. Then get a leftover cow tag and go kill one while getting familiar with the area. I never see wolf sign. Elk sign everywhere.
Indian Summer

Postby lilshootergirl » 01 08, 2019 •  [Post 19]

:twisted:
lilshootergirl

Postby Swede » 01 09, 2019 •  [Post 20]

If you are not seeing decent numbers of elk or recent elk sign then a move is probably in order. I do not know your State or hunting areas, but if you have good elk sign, and you are not getting game, then you either need to learn the area better and elk movements, or change something about the way you are hunting.
Swede

Postby lilshootergirl » 01 09, 2019 •  [Post 21]

When I select a area I look at how many animals, success rates, if the area holds desent animals, but when I scout there not in the area, they've moved to summer areas, so from what's been said that area has been hit hard by wolves, no one mention that when I went there in May! Online shows the area holding great # s of elk! Yea right! Every person at camp, who came from the east coast said this has been the worst hunt in 25 years! 1 person got a spike. Guys hunted far and wide, elk gone! Not sure in one season the whole herd up and left! I have the worst luck, good thing I can shot!
lilshootergirl

Postby Swede » 01 09, 2019 •  [Post 22]

Shootergirl, I want you to be successful on many hunts, and I have never been where you hunted. That said, it may be possible that we on WT can help.

Things can change rapidly in elk country. I do not know if wolves in the area would force the elk out of the units where you hunted so fast. In 2017 the Idaho hunter success rates for all of the surrounding area you hunted was quite good. The 2018 results are not out yet. Lets see what they tell us and learn from that too.
One thing I have found is that we need to adapt quickly. I have been slow to move form an area where I had established friendships, and was very well acquainted with nearly every nook and cranny.
If the 2018 results show there was a very low success rate, then move on. If the success rate is good, then if you are willing, lets discuss what you are or are not doing.
Swede

Postby lilshootergirl » 01 10, 2019 •  [Post 23]

Thank you Swede! Not sure all the burning moved them? Not one elk hit on hwy either. I know lots of people were skunked! They drove 3 times farther than me!
lilshootergirl

Postby Indian Summer » 01 10, 2019 •  [Post 24]

I have always hunted resident elk. To me that means they only leave the area to winter. They don’t go great distances either. Mainly just lower in elevation. Outside of that they are in the same area from the time they go back up the mountain, all summer and fall into winter until snow pushes them down. There is always elk sign to be found. The ground is dry so tracks may not look fresh. Near water they do though. Elk droppings dry out quickly too. But the sign is there and you can smell them.

In my experience the reason lots of hunters don’t kill elk is they aren’t hunting. That’s right... not hunting! They take the easy way out hiking trails, ridge tops or creek bottom paths. Sight seeing. There may be some sign in those places because elk are everywhere at one time or another. Maybe at night. Commit to getting off the beaten path and things will get better fast. If you’re new to an area by all means learn the trail systems. It’s important to get where you need to be in the morning and out of there in the dark. Also to pack out elk. But those aren’t hunting routes. I’ve told the story before of talking to a guy on a trail in Montana. There were tracks in the snow all over the place. Elk were feeding in meadows along the ridge at night. “Where do you think they are?” He said. I pointed down a super steep draw in a north slope where the snow was deepest and said “Way down there on the lower benches” He aaid “Yeah I know” and walked the other way. People think all they are going to get if they walk down into hell holes like that is a long depressing walk back up the hill. Maybe but if you don’t go where the elk are one thing is for sure right?
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 01 10, 2019 •  [Post 25]

If you are not seeing elk or fresh sign, you are in the wrong area. If you are seeing elk but just bumping them and sending them away, you are doing something wrong. Follow Saddlesore's advise and go slower and look more. Check the wind more. By the sounds you make are you telegraphing your presence to the elk? That could just be the paced walk a human normally makes commuting from one place to another. If you are seeing fresh sign but few if any elk, reread what I.S. just posted.
Swede

Postby lilshootergirl » 01 11, 2019 •  [Post 26]

Ok hunted exactly the way you told me on Oct 20th, I hiked 6 miles in, no sign, no smell! Saw we lots of wolf tracks, saw one. Wind was perfect thermals coming down on me! No wind! No elk! Everyday I'd change areas to where. I saw fresh sign from the night before, if no sign, I'd change areas! Being so close to neighboring state, just guessing that's where they moved, or private land owner. Ill call 2 ranchers and see what they thought the elk have done. There was lots of deer up there! So Ill see What idaho hunter report say, maybe I need more training?
lilshootergirl

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 11, 2019 •  [Post 27]

LSG, try a different area this fall. Wolves change everything, particularly in areas where they’ve been established for years. Not only do they eat/devastate the elk and deer pops...but...they change the manneurisms of those elk who survive. Remember, the introduced Canadian Greys are historically open ground hunters which force the lower 48 elk (for survival) to gravitate towards “thicker” parts of their legacy grounds to survive. Good luck this fall! RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 01 11, 2019 •  [Post 28]

Another thing to consider is that no one else was seeing elk. That makes me think the elk were not there at the time. Had they just passed through your area, or had they moved out? Neither of us knows yet. It would be easy if a significant number of hunters were seeing elk: Then you are doing something wrong. If the stats show that very few hunters were successful, then you were either there at the wrong time, or they are just gone.
I would encourage to reflect on your experience and determine to give it all you can on the next hunt. Your situation is not at all unusual. It is easy to type things on a keyboard and send them out. I have not assessed what the problem is and maybe never will. I hope for better things for you and will try to help you succeed. It would be great to have some magic bullet for you, but I am totally out of them. I have experienced a lot of failure too, and the difference in getting elk and going home empty is a very small matter.
Swede

Postby lilshootergirl » 01 14, 2019 •  [Post 29]

Thank you Swede! Not sure what I'm doing wrong? I got within 20ft of a monster Mulley, but no elk! Years ago, I've called big bulls to me a few times! No tags! Dang! While. Hunting this year Did a lost cow call, estrus call, but nothing! I know the big bulls find a safe place, with food, away from roads, people. And that's where I went, yes single bull tracks going into a perfect, dark bedding area! Could smell they were there! Gone!!! Then I moved further south east, no sign, no elk? They went somewhere?? I'm going to stay in As, as i've got enough points to draw, do more research on out of state, have a guy who comes to where I work, he has property on the edge of national forest in Idaho, offered his property to camp and hunt. I'm looking into that as Well. I'm willing to learn, so if you want to teach me, ill listen!thanks again
lilshootergirl

Postby Swede » 01 14, 2019 •  [Post 30]

Shooter, I feel inadequate and humbled in trying to suggest ways to help you get an elk in an area I know nothing of, and hunting a situation I am totally unfamiliar with. But lets keep talking and lets see what can be done. I will ask others that have had success, especially gun hunters, to help. I believe we can figure out a good plan for you, so lets not get discouraged.
Sometime we need to get beyond the old bromides and elixirs we are accustomed to. We need to turn over more layers to get deeper into the matter.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 01 17, 2019 •  [Post 31]

We have wolves again.
Where I hunt at the middle of the second week the elk start to get harder to find, I blamed it on hunting pressure. They may move a mile or two. just the nastiest stuff is where the elk were to be found. maybe in a mile further and up or down 1200 feet. Places where elk could be found all summer and early Sept the elk wern't even crossing the forest service roads. Just stayed put where hunters were not going.
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 32]

Lefty wrote:We have wolves again.
Where I hunt at the middle of the second week the elk start to get harder to find, I blamed it on hunting pressure. They may move a mile or two. just the nastiest stuff is where the elk were to be found. maybe in a mile further and up or down 1200 feet. Places where elk could be found all summer and early Sept the elk wern't even crossing the forest service roads. Just stayed put where hunters were not going.

Did they ever move out? I’ve said it before, wolves change everything.....
WapitiTalk1

Postby Elkbowhuntr » 01 19, 2019 •  [Post 33]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Didn’t put it in the original poll choices but how about aggressiveness? I seldom go a year without shot opportunities and aggressiveness is a significant part of my methodology and has been for years. Anyone know what I’m referring to?

I agree totally with your comment; I believe too many hunters sit back and passively think elk will just come charging in to your calls (Youtube Syndrome). If they aren't already bugling I will let out a location bugle and then just shut-up and move in on them fast (checking the wind of course). When I get within say 100 yards I start breaking branches, rolling rocks, make all kinds of aggressive sounds and throw in some cow calls. This is usually all it takes; I feel too many hunters are concerned about keeping quiet. I can't think of the last time I didn't get a shot opportunity - don't be afraid to make some noise as long as it isn't a man made sound and of course the wind will kill you every time. Just my .02
Elkbowhuntr

Postby Swede » 01 19, 2019 •  [Post 34]

Elkbowhuntr wrote:I will let out a location bugle and then just shut-up and move in on them fast (checking the wind of course). When I get within say 100 yards I start breaking branches, rolling rocks, make all kinds of aggressive sounds and throw in some cow calls. This is usually all it takes;

I suppose I will be labeled an old curmudgeon again for saying this, but I have a small problem getting that trick to work for me. When I move in toward the elk, I run into a fence with "NO TRESPASSING" signs all along it. The elk will stay behind that sign and bugle back, but they don't cross the fence.
Larry D. Jones used to teach that tactic 40 years ago. It used to work occasionally where I hunted public land in central Oregon; but that was 20+ years ago. It has never offered up shot opportunities nearly every time. On the public lands where I have hunted it is very rare to hear an elk bugle now. I tried to do the same thing you suggested farther east and ran into five hunters within an hour. I have listened to a good caller and observed the elk hurry to leave the area without responding.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 01 19, 2019 •  [Post 35]

When the cows were moved out the wolves moved in that same afternoon, The elk also moved into the those same pastures . The elk were there. The wolves were there , but so is a huge grizzlie that dens less than a mile away.

Shooter are you rifle hunting? Just my experience during rifle seasons and limited success( but better than the average) As a former Minnesota boy I hunted elk like still hunting white-tails, a method that worked well for me on Washington blacktails too. Early morning be on travel ways and glass as yo move the opposite side hill glassing south and east facing ) the rest of the day move quiet through thicker cover. With elk move faster cover more ground.
My wife and I traveled through where you elk hunt ( I think so anyway) thrid week of July Near the fire tower. We saw plenty of fresh sign at that time. More open than Im use too.We drove 090 and 091
I would start by doing map work. Start up higher away from the roads and walk down to a road Or do a road to road hike . Walk ridges in steep but not so deep canyons walking down hill to cover ground. There is some incredible elk property up there But it appears to me you would need to start the hunt back in (the night before) and walk out.
Lefty

Postby Chuckler » 01 25, 2019 •  [Post 36]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:Brains, fresh elk sign, and a killer attitude will take you a long way.

You have to be around elk to kill elk, then you have to be smart enough to understand what the fresh sign means, and it really helps to have the mentality of a starving wolf. :lol:

Research is good, but can't beat observant trail miles. It's one thing to cover 10 miles, it's another to assimilate the sign you're seeing and adapt your gameplan.

I think Trumkin's on it. I marked 2,3,6,7,8. In short: physical and mental toughness combined with knowing elk. I still have much to learn!
Chuckler

Postby Roosiebull » 01 27, 2019 •  [Post 37]

Every box is another tool, I checked the last one, because they all come into play, all have merit... adaptation is a big one to me... when things aren't working, you need to adapt to make them work.

A lot has to go right to kill an elk (even more factors come into play with short range weapons) you can get lucky, but not consistently... things have to go right, or close calls will be the best you can expect.

I have never really been able to pinpoint the really important things... it seems the really important things are unique to each hunt, so you won't know what they are until they are in front of you... that is why I feel like adaptation plays such a big role.

Success is a collaboration of a bunch of little things going right
Roosiebull

Postby elkstalker » 01 28, 2019 •  [Post 38]

I marked a few, research before and during the season is key for me, knowing the terrain and how the elk use it have always helped me to be successful. Persistence is huge, if you can't hang with the elk and overcome whatever the hunt throws at you, it's going to be real tough to kill elk consistently. Knowing their habits helps you (hopefully :lol: ) stay one step ahead once you find them.
elkstalker

Postby Scott69 » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 39]

Not on your poll, but I think the understanding of elk habits and habitat combined with map reading is really key to success.I guess that could fall under hunting in best possible location.But there's A LOT of guys I'm sure that just listen on this site and would like to know what makes an area the BEST possible location.I know way way too many guys think it's just distance from their trucks
I rarely hunt the same units.To me challenging myself to find elk in new areas is part of the chess match.Knowledge of elk habits,their habitat,map reading and physical conditioning to get to those places are VERY HIGH on my list.Not to say I don't have spots where I can still smell my camps wood smoke so distance doesn't mean a ton to me.Understanding how most hunters will hunt an area is also HUGE imo.Of course persistence should be a no brainier but I'll take it a step further.Going cold into a new area, I'll have 3-6 areas marked on my map.I hunt them super hard and usually will push out the elk ,kill one or wise them up by end of day 3.Staying persistent there would be wasting my time.So my persistence is in hunting really hard all day,knowing when to pull the plug on a spot and doing it again in another X on my map.
Knowing your hunt area is probably the biggest reason for success for most guys on here.Thats just not the way I like to challenge myself.I love seeing the differing topography of the west and each state and their people.Ive only gone home on 2 elk trips in my hunting that resulted in no shot opportunity.Didnt say I wasn't up to my ears in elk,weather played the major factor in both.That brings up another BIG factor in success of a NR with 5-10 days to hunt.
Sorry this was so long winded, but I just thought "what makes a spot the best elk spot" in terms of this poll.
Scott69

Postby Scott69 » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 40]

Also, as a trapper, I learned long ago the difference between macro and micro locations.I gain my macro knowledge by asking questions on here and other forums.My micro locations come from the above high priorties to me.So I guess in my style of hunting research is very key.Didnt see many others chose that
Scott69

Postby lilshootergirl » 01 31, 2019 •  [Post 41]

I'm back! Had major surgery on my neck! Lefty, I get what your saying, I believe those elk were pushed on lower elevations, wish I would have done those areas! Wolves,wow so much sign. I'd like to see the 2018 success rate will be! I'm pretty sure the local refile hunters know where to go now the wolves are pushing them,btw I'm a refile hunter. Moving to other area if no elk would have helped me a lot! Lesson learned! Mobile is the thing . 2020 is a ways out but ill have lots of time to research and scout the areas that hold elk, if elk hunting was easy everyone would do it! I need to perfect my skills!
lilshootergirl

Postby Lefty » 02 01, 2019 •  [Post 42]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:
Lefty wrote:We have wolves again.

Did they ever move out? I’ve said it before, wolves change everything.....

The packs were terminated
The fed trapper took them
Lefty

Postby lilshootergirl » 03 25, 2019 •  [Post 43]

In 2020 I'd like to do an out of state hunt, but I need a area I can scout, and that has elk. escounting hasn't worked for me! Got to know the area tho, I really thought there was a good amount of elk in the 2 areas I hunted?? I need a month. To camp out in a area I'm going to hunt in prior to it opening so I have a chance to move! I think my problem I dont have a good. Back Up plan? Or I. Might have to cough money for a guided hunt, but I'm not giving up! Still healing up from neck surgery, but still walking lots of miles perday so I don't loose many stamina,, Hopefully ill be drawn here, this year, did hear there lower the amount of ppl that there drawing?Hoping. You can advise me on a better unit that has over the counter tags, I'd love to hear about it! I'M Not. Giving. UP!!
lilshootergirl

Postby Swede » 03 25, 2019 •  [Post 44]

Shooter, I am pleased you are back from your neck surgery and planning on a 2020 hunt. I assume you are still planning on a rifle hunt. Oregon has some good units, but you need 3-5 points to draw one. I think all of the NE units are good. The Cascades are poor, but you can go ok on the coast, but you really need to know where to hunt there, and I don't.
Swede

Postby lilshootergirl » 04 05, 2019 •  [Post 45]

Swede, just look up unit 21, 2017 was 24.7 percent success 2018 is 16.5 success!! I know there are more things I. Need to learn! Still don't know why there's so little elk in that area, I went 5.3 miles away from trails & roads?
lilshootergirl

Postby Swede » 04 05, 2019 •  [Post 46]

Both years you show are very acceptable, but we do not want to focus on that now. I do not know that area at all. Maybe the elk are all on a ranch or two or the elk are in a tangled jungle that is very difficult to access. I am starting to wonder if you are scouting in the Summer and hunting them after they have been moved due to pressure? Heavily roaded areas are very susceptible to that problem. I have been dealing with that for years and moved to a place where they have more natural use patterns. The area I am hunting now is not as good for the first three days of the season as the location I left, but it does not deteriorate much as the season progresses. I can still depend on them showing up if I wait.
It seems that hunters can fall short due to inadequate planning or poor execution. The hunter that knows where to find elk will eventually get lucky and get one even if their execution is less than perfect. If you cannot find the elk, then no matter how good you are, you will not get one.
Shooter if you are hunting in a heavily roaded area, get out your contour map and circle the elk areas where you would not go if someone tied up the largest bull in the State of Idaho and gave you the GPS coordinates for it. Now you know where you should go. That bull is in there hiding.
Swede

Postby lilshootergirl » 04 16, 2019 •  [Post 47]

How do you know a area will be decent? Do you think f&g has correct %? I've struck out a lot but learned a bunch! Thanks to you guys, so 2020 I've talk to my brother he's talking about being flying in a unit, since we don't have any Nags to pack us. How would you go about picking a area? A state? I also heard from some guys that went to Wyoming, and goes every year, it was a shit show! Most of the elk are on private land, so I'm thinking hunting the borders? I've watched every show of randy Newberg, I learned a lot about everything, thermals, where bulls go, cows, how to hunt public land. I thought with that information I had it all figured out, I guess if hunting was easy everyone would hunt! I understand there's a lot of pressure on them, its where to be when the pressure starts, but by 3rd season there gone. Another thing I'd like to do( but not by myself) is pack in for a couple nights, not sure that's smart being alone. I think about this everyday, I guess I'm left to hire a drops camp! I'm into that totally if my guide likes to teach, also they don't have room for one women, I looked into it. Well more research for 2020! Thanks again!
lilshootergirl

Postby Swede » 04 16, 2019 •  [Post 48]

I pick an area based mostly on scouting. I get a start by looking at G.E., maps and reviewing F&G stats, but for me it still comes back to scouting.
One thing I have found is that once I get my first elk in an area it is much easier to get more. I know a spot to hunt and just keep building on that knowledge.
I think F&G stats are reasonable accurate, but they really don't tell you very much. Where in the unit were hunters getting elk? Were they mostly on ranches? Were the outfitters that were 8 miles back getting them or were the elk just scattered all over? The stats never tell you that.
The old adage is that 10% of the hunters get 90% of the elk is reasonably accurate for most areas. Where were those 10% hunting and what were they doing? I guess the point is that don't get overly concerned about F&G accuracy.
Find out exactly where you need to spend your time on your hunt. Often it takes about 4 years to get it all together. Sometimes we can get ahead of the curve. Sometimes I have found I got a false sense of having arrived after one success only to find out it was a fluke.
Swede

Postby lilshootergirl » 04 16, 2019 •  [Post 49]

I love idaho, been in 2 different areas but not sure if I should go back? Or try another state where I can antelope hunt too? Seriously looking at Wyoming, love the sage areas! Ill put in for points only this year hopefully next ill get drawn, my brothers been there, and promises to do a rifle hunt with me! Thanks for the input, not giving up, there's a Hank out there for me!
lilshootergirl

Postby Swede » 04 16, 2019 •  [Post 50]

lilshootergirl wrote: not giving up, there's a Hank out there for me!

Those Hanks are about the most useless thing a woman could possibly get. Just keep on hunting and best wishes. I know some good areas in Oregon, but you need several points to get drawn. By the time you get a second Oregon elk tag you could have learned an area in Idaho and do better.
Swede

Postby MtnOak » 05 08, 2019 •  [Post 51]

I'm not sure what percent I fall into but I got lucky and put down a bull on my first trip but the last 3 has been a goose egg...but....I can find em the problem has been when I get some sort of opportunity (kinda) it's been too thick when I can get on them, I cant get a text book open shot on a bull, I did muff up an open shot on a cow last year (still don't know how) truth is I feel lucky driving 20 hours, and being able to find elk and staying with them, I cant really say what i'm doing wrong other than it's just too thick where i'm at but I hate to move knowing they're there but I may have to and relearn a new place...……...man I hate doing that.
MtnOak

Postby Swede » 05 08, 2019 •  [Post 52]

MtnOak: We never know what we were doing wrong until we find out how to do it right. That may include moving somewhere else or changing tactics.
Swede