Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Additional CO license requiremnt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Additional CO license requiremnt

Postby saddlesore » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 1]

If you plan on putting in for a Colorado elk license on April 2, be aware:

A qualifying hunting license, valid between April 1, 2019 and March 31, 2020, must be purchased in order to apply for any 2019 big game license. A qualifying license includes: 1) an annual resident or nonresident small game hunting licenses; 2) an annual resident or nonresident spring turkey license; or 3) resident small game/fishing combination license (only available to residents). Small Game NR license is $80

Qualifying licenses for the 2019 big game drawing will be available for purchase on March 1, 2019.

Plus application fee for NR is now $9 instead of $3

So make sure you buy these before you apply
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Additional CO license requiremnt

Postby Old school » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 2]

When I finally cash in my 13 PP for elk in Colorado I’ll be done with their points game forever!!!

I started back 13 years ago with the dream of hunting 61. With point creep, I’ll now never catch it. I hope to catch another unit within a couple years.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Fridaythe13th » 01 09, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I agree "Old School" I have 11 PP for mule deer I need to burn, i burnt up elk PP last year. Good by Colorado. What well it cost for a point for a nonresident mule deer tag?
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby saddlesore » 01 09, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Fridaythe13th wrote:I agree "Old School" I have 11 PP for mule deer I need to burn, i burnt up elk PP last year. Good by Colorado. What well it cost for a point for a nonresident mule deer tag?

As far as I can determine the $100 Preference points cost is only for sheep goat and moose. Elk ?????? Don't know
saddlesore

Postby Old school » 01 09, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I’ve got 11 PP for mule deer as well. Need to burn them and then be done with that as well

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Deanmac » 01 10, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Now I read this post several times, but still not real clear on what that means to a NR.
I have hunted Colorado three times:
First 2015, over the counter tag purchased at Walmart, 2nd gun season.
second 2016, applied for a ML cow tag, my first choice
third 2017, 1st gun season, bull only, my first choice
Last year I just applied for a point.

My question if I apply for a tag this year with my point, do I need to pay for the tag upfront like in 2016 & 2017 or way I read the post I must buy a small game Lic $80 before I can even apply?

So will the $80 go toward the tag cost or will that just add expense to the elk tag?

Over the counter tags, will that require purchase of additional LIC?

Montana is sure looking better!
Deanmac

Postby saddlesore » 01 10, 2019 •  [Post 7]

You do not have to pay for the tag up front, but your application fee will be $9.In addition,you must buy a small game tag before you can apply.
If you go OTC,there is no requirement to buy a small game tag or an application fee. I don't know what the fee is to buy an elk Prefermce point
saddlesore

Postby Deanmac » 01 10, 2019 •  [Post 8]

saddlesore wrote:You do not have to pay for the tag up front, but your application fee will be $9.In addition,you must buy a small game tag before you can apply.
If you go OTC,there is no requirement to buy a small game tag or an application fee. I don't know what the fee is to buy an elk Prefermce point

Thanks for the reply, I think the elk point cost was $10 last year, so if my math is correct, to buy a point this year will be $99. IMO, the over the counter tags will really explode, so many more people hunting those hunts.
I talked to a friend today and he went online and saw what was stated above.
Deanmac

Postby saddlesore » 01 11, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I am not sure. I can't find anything yet about buying an elk PP. My guess is if you don't buy the small game tag, it will kick your application out. Other paragraphs list buying a point for sheep,goat and moose and that is $100 now for NR.

I assume,you buy the SG tag,your habitat tag and pay the$9 application fee. But that is conjecture on my part. Will probbaly have to wait until the big game brochure comes out in February to be sure.
If I find out sooner, I will post here
saddlesore

Postby baja600 » 01 14, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Thanks for the heads up Saddlesore...I hadn't seen the new changes, but just found everything you said on the CPW site
baja600

Postby Scott69 » 01 22, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Has anyone found out if a license purchase is required for points only?Doubt I'll keep applying there if that's the case.Im at zero again there so it's an easy decision.New Mexico and Arizona already make me buy licenses I can't use.BUT imo, they offer a higher quality experience
Scott69

Postby saddlesore » 01 22, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Scott69 wrote:Has anyone found out if a license purchase is required for points only?Doubt I'll keep applying there if that's the case.Im at zero again there so it's an easy decision.New Mexico and Arizona already make me buy licenses I can't use.BUT imo, they offer a higher quality experience

I think you will have to wait until the brochure comes out in Feb. or call CPW
saddlesore

Postby Scott69 » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Thank you.Drives me a little crazy though being as it's already clear what's needed to enter the draw vs buying an OTC tag.Guess their still trying to figure it out based on internet chatter
Scott69

Postby saddlesore » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Here is what it says on the website. No mention of only buying a tag.It specifically says to apply for one.

A qualifying hunting license, valid between April 1, 2019 and March 31, 2020, must be purchased in order to apply for any 2019 big game license
saddlesore

Postby Fridaythe13th » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 15]

I'm sure they thought of this. But can I buy my small game license and preferance point on April 1st 2019 and March 15 2020 apply for point. So that mean I get 2 pereferance point on 1 small game license?????
Fridaythe13th

Postby Elkduds » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Fridaythe13th wrote:I'm sure they thought of this. But can I buy my small game license and preferance point on April 1st 2019 and March 15 2020 apply for point. So that mean I get 2 pereferance point on 1 small game license?????

I suspect, in order to apply for the 2020 point they will require a CO license valid from 4/1/20 to 3/31/21.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Fridaythe13th » 01 30, 2019 •  [Post 17]

Elkduds wrote:
Fridaythe13th wrote:I'm sure they thought of this. But can I buy my small game license and preferance point on April 1st 2019 and March 15 2020 apply for point. So that mean I get 2 pereferance point on 1 small game license?????

I suspect, in order to apply for the 2020 point they will require a CO license valid from 4/1/20 to 3/31/21.

I agree, I was told buy a local mn the loophole was 2 preference points for 1 small game license.

What is everyone thoughts well this slow down point creep???
Fridaythe13th

Postby saddlesore » 01 30, 2019 •  [Post 18]

I doubt it wills low down point creep. Form all other forums, I read most will keep putting in.Sad thing though,guys with more discretionary funds usually posts something like " Good it will keep those that can't afford it out and give me more tags" True hunting snobs.
saddlesore

Postby saddlesore » 02 14, 2019 •  [Post 19]

Update. This is in the new 2019 BG brochure. Concerning pref point fees.

2. Changes to Preference Point Fees

In 2019, preference point fees will only be charged for Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep, moose and mountain goat applications. There are no longer preference point fees for elk, deer, pronghorn or bear. Preference point fees for Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep, moose and mountain goat will be $50 for residents and $100 for nonresidents. Youth ages 12-17, residents who are in the military and on active duty outside of Colorado and lifetime license holders are exempt from the preference point fee requirement.
saddlesore

Postby baja600 » 02 14, 2019 •  [Post 20]

baja600

Postby saddlesore » 02 14, 2019 •  [Post 21]

Another thing I noticed. If you put on the application that you want to be included in the "Leftover Draw" you will be charged and additional Application Fee if you participate in that.

So if you don't draw on your 1st choice,that is $7 or $9 ( resident/nonresident). Then if you participate in the Left Over Draw,that is another $7 or $9.
saddlesore