Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Non Resident Cow Elk Only

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Non Resident Cow Elk Only

Postby DWBMontana » 01 17, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I am curious, for those of you who hunt as a non resident, would you hunt as a nr if you were only allowed to hunt cow elk? Under this scenario, the cost of a cow tag would be a third of the bull or either sex tag in most states. For example, here in Montana, say you could buy a cow tag for $280, compared to $783 for a bull tag. If Montana only allowed a nr to shoot a cow, would you still come for the experience?
DWBMontana

Re: Non Resident Cow Elk Only

Postby Swede » 01 17, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I don't hunt often as a nonresident, but would rather have the cow tag at that price than a bull or either sex tag. I like being out hunting. If I had to choose between a cow tag or bull tag at the same price, then it would be a more difficult choice, but this is easy.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 01 17, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Only as a very last resort to fill the freezer if I didn’t draw a bull tag. I wouldn’t apply for a cow tag until after the regular draw results. It would also have to be a mountain hunt. I love the mountains and being there is the majority of the enjoyment of a hunt. I wouldn’t buy a cow tag to go drop one on a ranch. I’d sooner go hunt mule deer or caribou.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 01 17, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I apply and get cow tag every year for ML season.Then I by an OTC tag for rifle season.If I was hunting out of sate, I'd probably only opt for a bull tag
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 01 17, 2019 •  [Post 5]

No way. I would go to another state or hunt something else.
Tigger

Postby southernelk » 01 17, 2019 •  [Post 6]

absolutely. I would like to be able to shoot a bull, but coming to hunt is more important to us than the horns. If we are able to choose, we would probably pay the extra to be able to shoot a bull, but if our only option is to shoot a cow, i'm coming to hunt and would be happy to bring home a fat cow.
southernelk

Postby Indian Summer » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 7]

southernelk wrote:absolutely. I would like to be able to shoot a bull, but coming to hunt is more important to us than the horns. If we are able to choose, we would probably pay the extra to be able to shoot a bull, but if our only option is to shoot a cow, i'm coming to hunt and would be happy to bring home a fat cow.

Define hunt? Would you do that if you had to set a camp in the mountains or if it was a ranch hunt with no “mountain time”? Or doesn’t it matter?
Indian Summer

Postby jmez » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I would. I did that last year in WY. I like to hunt elk, even with an any elk tag I'm shooting the first legal elk I have an opportunity to take.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Indian Summer » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 9]

It goes without saying that elk hunters are all at different stages of the game. There was a day when I’d shoot the first legal elk cows included. Then it was any legal bull. I don’t believe it’s just about what you’ve already killed but also about your level of confidence. That is largely based on your faith in your hunting area. I damn sure can’t have a shooting opportunity every day but I can at least lay eyes on a bull 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4 days. After that it’s up to me to make it happen. But I also have faith in myself. For that reason I’d never shoot a cow on an either sex tag until the last day of my hunt. I’m an antler addict and elk tags are too expensive not to at least give it hell trying to bring another set home.
Indian Summer

Postby DWBMontana » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 10]

There was a short lived proposal a few weeks back in Montana to allow bull hunting for the first two weeks of general season and then cow only in several areas due to elk numbers being over objective. Personally, I would like to see the state implement a cow or doe only for both elk and deer for a NR. The quality of both herds is not what it was a generation ago. I know it will not happen, to much $$$ involved. But , if the FWP truly had the best interest of our herd's in mind, it would. I know hunting brings big dollars to Montana, but we would survive and adapt , we are a very tenacious lot.
DWBMontana

Postby Swede » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 11]

I think there is a lot to say for your idea DWBMontana. I would rather have a good sized cow than a spike or rag-horn bull. There is no trophy on a rag-horn. A satellite bull is a marginal trophy in my mind. I don't even care that much about a 260 bull. If I had a 280+ bull then that would be different, but the cow hunt as proposed is $500 cheaper. I like that, as I still get out to hunt, but it is much more affordable.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Swede have you ever held a 260 inch 6 point bull in your hands? That makes the Pooe and Young record book you know which tells you it’s no raghorn. The bull on the right in this picture is exactly 260 3/8 and I can guarantee you and 95% of the people reading this would shoot one like that every year given the opportunity.

When I did outdoor shows guys would point at it all the time and say “I’d be happy with a 300 incher like that” I’d say so you’d book a hunt if you thought I could put you on one like that? They’d say hell yeah and then I’d tell them it’s a 260. Every one of them said that’ll do.

What do you think the one on the left scores?
Attachments
E636B0FF-878D-4CEC-BE0C-CBD3F2FCCFCF.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby CurlyTail » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 13]

I value an out of state cow tag. I would still come and hunt.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Swede » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Short tines and thin beams; I get it. It is a 260 bull. Standing together with a cow near my stand, I would shoot the 260 bull. I would not pay $500 more to get that bull over a good cow. Just me.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 15]

Heck fire, that ain't no fun. Cows don't bugle, beat up innocent alder patches, or come in angry when you scream obscenities at them :lol:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Deanmac » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 16]

My second hunt to Colorado was a ML cow tag, it would have taken 3 points to draw a bull tag in that unit. So yes.
Deanmac

Postby Indian Summer » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 17]

Swede wrote:Short tines and thin beams; I get it. It is a 260 bull. Standing together with a cow near my stand, I would shoot the 260 bull. I would not pay $500 more to get that bull over a good cow. Just me.

What! You’re nuts. What’s are your 3 biggest bulls Swede?
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 18]

Joe, you don't get it. It is my personal value. I am not asking Montana to provide cheaper cow hunts, but it would be more interesting TO ME than a full fare bull hunt, where you have a slim change to get a really large bull. If I chose to go on a hunt like DWBMontana asked about, I would still hunt Oregon in September and go later to Montana if I chose to. DWBMontana asked which we would prefer. I would rather go with a cheaper cow hunt. It does not mean I would have to give up anything I am interested in.

I have never scored my bulls. I killed a much larger than a 260 6X6 satellite bull when I was in the Navy. I do not know what happened to the antlers and I had no camera then. The old house we lived in was torn down while I was away. Dismiss it if you chose. I have never bragged about it, or any other particular elk I have killed. I did not even include my largest bull that I have pictures of in the book. What is the point? I put up pictures occasionally to try to encourage others to hunt and enjoy some of the lifestyle I have known.

Why do some people prefer trout fishing to deep sea fishing where you could get a giant Swordfish? I suppose it is often cost or personal preference.
I think I and the others that would save $500 and pass on a very slim chance at a trophy rack of antlers are perfectly rationale. This is especially true when I can hunt 30 days where I can shoot any elk.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 19]

All I’m saying is if I was standing there looking at a decent 6 point bull and didn’t have a tag because of a $500 difference I wouldn’t be too happy with myself. I don’t know many elk hunters who don’t care about shooting bull elk! I’m not anti cow like Wapiti Talk and Elknut but I’m damn sure a bull hunter. As far as money goes I have time off of work and substantial travel expenses so a little more doesn’t make much of a difference.

I think I always have more than a slim chance of killing a bull and any chance of killing a huge one is better than none! But that’s just me... and a few thousand others. Haha. To each his own though for sure.
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 20]

No one that chooses to shoot a cow should be made to feel inferior to a bull elk hunter. Hunt what you want. Where I have hunted really big bulls are rare. I don't put in for select areas out of State. I do not want to play the game. I too can shoot a bull, but getting a big one (280+) is not likely on any hunt. Some folks would rather come home with nothing than shoot something that is not deemed a trophy. That is there choice. So is taking a cow.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 21]

I’m with you there. I can kill a cow for sure but you won’t hear me use the word easily. It’s still hard work with a dash of luck and to me any elk is a good elk. And a full freezer is better than a empty one! I’ve shot 3 cows over the years and never even considered myself inferior for it. I always knew guys who wished they had shot those cows. I tell new hunters that if they have an either sex elk tag they should shoot the first elk they see bull or cow and be damn happy and proud to.
Indian Summer

Postby southernelk » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 22]

Indian Summer wrote:
southernelk wrote:absolutely. I would like to be able to shoot a bull, but coming to hunt is more important to us than the horns. If we are able to choose, we would probably pay the extra to be able to shoot a bull, but if our only option is to shoot a cow, i'm coming to hunt and would be happy to bring home a fat cow.

Define hunt? Would you do that if you had to set a camp in the mountains or if it was a ranch hunt with no “mountain time”? Or doesn’t it matter?

that is how we hunt boss, camping and hunting on public land. no ranch hunting here. it is all about the hunt for us. we have all killed elk and truly love it. tagging a bull is always nice but hunting out west with friends and family is more important than some horns. give me any tag and I am a happy hunter.
southernelk

Postby Indian Summer » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 23]

I hear that! I love the mountains. Not a day goes by that I don’t dream about my time in the big hills. If the only thing that lived up there were rats I’d be a rat hunter. I killed a nice 6 point bull on a ranch once and felt like I skipped elk hunting that year. Booooring!
Indian Summer

Postby Lsb » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 24]

I've said it before. I'll tell you I'm holding out for a bull in archery season, but to be honest I'd shoot a cow opening morning. Come rifle season, I'm plenty mad enough to shoot a cow. I like hunting elk but like eating them more. I'd give my season calling for others and putting a cow in the freezer with a rifle over killing a bull myself.
Lsb

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 25]

IS, here here..we’ll put. Can’t remember a day going by where I don’t think about the elk mountains. They call to me and are honestly the last thing I think about before sleep calls.... may you all spend many, many seasons up high.
D19AD3CB-C710-4EAA-B042-585F651B1FA9.jpeg
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 01 19, 2019 •  [Post 26]

This year I’m as excited as I’ve ever been. I’m hunting the same area I’ve been in. But I am going to completely quench my thirst to be in the mountains by solo spike camping up high away from it all. When I think about it thoughts flash through my mind about how good the hunting will be. But I go right back to thinking about setting up camp. Exactly where my tent will sit. Daily life in the tent thinking about my route and strategy for the next day. Being totally undistracted or sidetracked and completely focusing on why I’m there. The nice views of the country below me. Even taking the time to find the perfect spot to cache gear for the following season. Making a great spot in the mountains my home. I don’t need to pack in but I’ve confirmed that it’s worth it so I get to add the real back country experience to my hunt. I’ll sit there eating my Mountain House for dinner and smile thinking about the less fortunate who are sitting down to home cooked meals. Haha
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 01 19, 2019 •  [Post 27]

Those are the reasons hunt two 9 day elk seasons as long as I can. I get 18 days hunting and about 25 days in the field.
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 19, 2019 •  [Post 28]

I S, You remind me of that old Ray Stevens song about the Shriners convention. (How you gonna get that big ole Harley up there)! As for caching gear for the next season, Just remember, it's finders/ keepers... especially if the FS finds it.

Now back to the purpose of this thread!! For the most part, the moment of truth is when that first legal elk (cow or bull) shows up in front of the hunter. That is when most guys make the decision to drop the hammer or not!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Indian Summer » 01 19, 2019 •  [Post 29]

I’m very wise to finders keepers. I’ usually the finder but I don’t disturb what doesn’t belong to me. Often that’s not the case so my gear is so well hidden I’m lucky I can find it the next year! When I was an outfitter everything was by the book. It wasn’t worth risking my license. But I watched civilians get away with murder and even when the FS knew about it they didn’t care. These days I enjoy a bit more freedom although there’s definitely risk. The reward on the other hand is being in such good country that shooting a cow early in the hunt just isn’t necessary.

Like I said above I think that decision is largely based on your confidence in your area. I definitely know places where it’s wise to shoot the first legal bull you can and after 3 days I wouldn’t let a cow walk either.
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 01 19, 2019 •  [Post 30]

[quote="Indian Summer" I definitely know places where it’s wise to shoot the first legal bull you can and after 3 days I wouldn’t let a cow walk either.[/quote]

That is definitely Colorado. That one elk you see might very well be the only one you see
saddlesore

Postby Scott69 » 01 20, 2019 •  [Post 31]

I just applied in Wyoming only for type 6 tags for me and my 12 year old.Hes happy if he gets to elk hunt.I did it to hunt the unit I want to spend my elk points on next year,scout it and bring home meat at half the price.I couldn't make up my mind on a unit for my points so I'm going this route.We have 50/50 odds at drawing.For the 2 of us to apply,cost was $425 for 2 tags.If were successful in the draw, we will have a fun time and hopefully make sure I don't need to buy any beef at the store for another year
I do plan to enter NM for a bull elk tag, but odds are low in drawing 2 years in a row.The hunting there is fantastic though
Scott69

Postby Indian Summer » 01 20, 2019 •  [Post 32]

Now there’s a great plan! I think that’s actually a better idea than burning your points on a general license when you know nothing about the area. Plus you should have a really good chance of killing some elk which is a good way to keep a young hunter interested in elk hunting. You should check the leftover license list too. Interestingly one unit I get cow tags for has about 35.% draw odds but later in the year as a leftover tag odds are 100%. Good luck to you!
Indian Summer

Postby Scott69 » 01 22, 2019 •  [Post 33]

Yeah, I have way too many points to go general and not quite enough to ever get top units.Theres alot of good middle of the road units that offer me the chance to hunt them on reduced priced tags, and determine if they offer a great type 1 hunt in future.After I use up my points I'll only hunt general tags unless they get above 3 points.
But I have no problem hunting for just cows if it's at half the cost of a bull tag.I really like the meat and it's far better for me then store bought.The 2 of us can do the Wyoming trip for roughly $1200 including tag fees.If successful, I'd have close to 300 lbs of meat in the freezer.At $4 lb I'd be hard pressed to find ground meat at that cost.Plus, I get some quality time with my son.You don't get that at a grocery store
Scott69

Postby jmez » 01 22, 2019 •  [Post 34]

I have no problem hunting cows if it is the same price as a bull tag. I intentionally got a special cow tag in WY last year and it is still the cheapest 14 day vacation I'll ever take.

Not an antler addict and never will be. No problem with those that are, that is until they start to want to dictate what I should enjoy to improve their opportunity, aka QDM crowd.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Windlaker » 01 22, 2019 •  [Post 35]

Very new to the site. Live in Wisconsin.

I've been "Out West" hunting for about 8 years now...South Dakota Archery. Been kicking around an Elk hunt for a few years.

My cousin has an uncle that lives in WY. He's hunted Elk one time, shot a Bull. Told me it took him 2 PPs before he got his license.

I'm buying my 1st WY PP this year.

In the mean time, I'm thinking about a cow hunt. My reasoning...

I'm 59 years old. In decent shape, but not "Mountain Shape"...yet. I want to find out "if I can do it" with a cheaper tag, before I spend close to a Grand (license & PPs) on a Bull tag.
Windlaker

Postby six » 01 22, 2019 •  [Post 36]

x2
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby snowbank » 03 02, 2019 •  [Post 37]

Granted I am a resident but I have opted for a cow only tag for the last 2 years. i have killed 9 bulls over 300. The curiosity is over at this point. cows eat better.

When I first started the local hunters wouldn't even hunt where the big bulls hung out for the same reason. Now I understand.
snowbank

Postby Lefty » 03 08, 2019 •  [Post 38]

m going back top the original question, Sort of.
Would I hunt cows for the experience. Absolutely. Thats why I hunt, hike, and camp,
Years back Wyoming had an antelope doe tags. OTC $40 for the first $20.00 for the second. Those were our family hunts.
Would I pay $100 for a resident only cow tag,...,. sure would
The hunt experience and family time are first in my book. Then it depends on the game and how far into the season I may be hunting horns and meat can they may trade places as far a priority.

Maybe another question how much antler should that Montana tag buy on a week 10 day hunt. Any bull? A raghorn, an mature bull? only a 6x6 or greater?

I have a neighbor who only will shoot book animals. He hunts for the experience! Now that may seem in conflict with the (book only statement but its not. this year alone he tried to get his father to take a 300 bull , He passed on hours of shooting opportunity on that bull. He did the same on a huge bear for his boys. And now as his boys are old enough to hunt the boys put the meat in the freezer. He said he plans to put horns and skulls in the shop instead of the living room.

Realistically Im hesitant on the price of some tags and hunts. Would I love to hunt sheep or goats. You bet. But not for the cost to our family budget.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 03 18, 2019 •  [Post 39]

Came across an Outfitter at the International Sportsmans Expo, he has cow hunts for $2300 include a little cabin with a nice shower/bathroom house across the court yard. 4 nights 5 days, guaranteed( stay or come back if you dont get your free roaming elk
He sells all the hunts each year they are available. more of a management/depredation hunt.Personally it is more of a shoot , will you be shooting the elk in the alfalfa or the pasture :?
For some that could be an incredible experience and hunt. for some not really our thing. Elk coming out of the mountains and feeding on the green provided by the isolated ranch in the middle of know where.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Steve G » 03 19, 2019 •  [Post 40]

I'd still hunt the cow elk but elsewhere. If as the OP posted the state didn't allow NRs to take bulls, I'd feel like they were giving me the finger.
Steve G

Postby elkstalker » 03 21, 2019 •  [Post 41]

I have no problem shooting a cow in certain circumstances, but I also love chasing bulls. One instance I wouldn't mind buying an out of state cow tag (even though I live in MT), would be the opportunity to hunt with a good friend(s) in another state. The older I get the more I realize the value of spending a week in camp with old friends.
elkstalker