Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Game Plan 2019 - Episode #1

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Game Plan 2019 - Episode #1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 22, 2019 •  [Post 1]

22 September, early morning on a side hill in (insert elk state). You've worked in close to a bull with cows...within 80 yards. You've dogged these buggers for 1/4 to 1/2 a mile uphill in some pretty steep terrain, off to one side, as the thermals are coming down mid-morning, in an attempt to remain undetected by the multiple noses in the group. The bull had responded to your locater bugle a few times earlier with menacing challenge bugles and grunts warning you to stay away. For the last 25 minutes, you've kept your mouth shut (not a peep on your diaphragm) as you've determined he (the bull) or the lead cow is moving the herd up the side hill away from you and to the bedding area. The big guy has stopped a few times and knocked the snot out of some innocent trees. Let's say it's 0840. As you move fast when it's open, walk on elk trails, and crawl in the thick stuff to get a bit closer, you detect movement above you... to the right... in the direction of where you think the bull and cows may be slowing to bed. It's a cow and she has locked eyes on your movement. You freeze, knowing she has seen your movement, but you're in cover so she really is not too sure what you are. The cow chirps a muffled “bark” at you no more than 30 yards away, turns and looks over her right shoulder uphill in the direction of the herd, and then looks back at you. You're pinned down for the most part. What should you do? Geez, I've never been here before.

I know it's tough to answer without being there and knowing all the variables but again, it's just a scenario to offer suggestions and share ideas. Back on topic.... You're close to the herd with a bull/cows and a cow (perhaps a sentry) has kind of pinned you down. What should you do with the information provided to maximize your chances of bringing an elk home for dinner? Stick n' string season; bull tag only area.

elk9.jpg
elk9.jpg (12.98 KiB) Viewed 5266 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Game Plan 2019 - Episode #1

Postby Swede » 01 22, 2019 •  [Post 2]

As long as she is there and can see my location, I am staying quiet and not moving. When she moves on I am slipping out of there and trying another approach. The winds are going to shift soon, so time is of the essence. When I can back off a ways, I would try a few cow calls then quickly mover forward and give a strong raspy bugle with grunts if the elk are still near.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 01 22, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I’m busting out my Elknut Playbook for some professional advice!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 01 22, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Oh here it is on page 60. :o "Loco Bull Yelp"??? What is dat Loco Bull Yelp? I read about that somewhere. Oh here it is on page 18. Hummm?? I wonder how dat works. :? Dang; the elk are gone and it is getting late. I better get back to camp. :evil:
Swede

Postby Swede » 01 23, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I have read the Playbook several times and consider still the best resource for learning to call and chase elk. I would encourage anyone trying to call and work in on elk to know several plays before they head out hunting. In a close up situation, like episode 1, you need to have a go-to play.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 01 23, 2019 •  [Post 6]

The bull in my avatar didn't read the playbook. I did. I won.

So, I would quick call Paul (Elknut) on the phone and have a whispered conference while the cow was staring at me. If Paul didn't pick up the call, after leaving a detailed message, I would move like a statue until she gave up. Then I would plan a different approach. Unless the bull was really close, then as soon as the cow left I might throw an animated cow call away from me and give a lip bawl right at the big boy. But we learned last year, don't ever over-power the real herd bull. I would come in a little undersized so he felt like he had to fight and it would most likely be an easy fight for him to win.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 01 23, 2019 •  [Post 7]

The cows got me,.. I think Swede has the right idea.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lsb » 01 24, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I think I'd play dead until she was not focused on me. Hopefully just out of sight but still close. Then I'd get ready and call to her. She's closer to me than he is to her maybe he'll come in to gather her up and run me off. I don't know what to call the bugle but I know how I'd do it, in my mind it's a cheesy come on line like "how you doing hot stuff".
Lsb

Postby Chuckler » 01 24, 2019 •  [Post 9]

This is a great scenario! We actually killed a 370 bull this year in a similar situation. If only one cow has you pegged, no big deal. You are already in the red zone, now it is time to hook the bull. If she genuinely has you pegged, you aren't going to fool her. Make the bull think you are in close and trying to pull away one of his cows. If the cow busts, so be it. The rest of the herd doesn't know why she busted. It's your job to give the herd bull a reason for why she busted. If you do it right, he will come charging back in to defend his cows. Here is what I would do:

Bull-calling-cow bugle or a lip bawl.
Mix in distressed cow calls.
When the herd bull bugles back, cut him in half with a challenge.

I have had this work a couple of times on herd bulls. It is the most rewarding and exciting scenario you can have with a bull in my opinion.
Chuckler

Postby Swede » 01 24, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Chuckler; you or your partner got a 370 bull! wow. I don't remember seeing it on the WT meat pole. We need a picture here for sure.
To be honest, I do not know if I have ever seen a 370 bull. A few years ago there was a rumor that there was a 400 bull in the area where I was hunting. I was very skeptical, but I heard the rumor from a couple of sources so I was not sure what to make of it. Early in the season I saw Stringunner coming out of the woods with the head of a nice bull. It scored about 325. I do not remember the exact amount, but I am 99.9% sure he had the "400" class bull.
Swede

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 24, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Chuckler, nice job! You just described The Threat Sequence to a tee! (grin) Yes you bet it can work, it worked over 25 years ago & still today in the right situation!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Chuckler » 01 24, 2019 •  [Post 12]

This is the bull we called in during this scenario. My dad was the shooter, I was the caller. We have learned a lot from Elknut and a few other exceptional hunters.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (21.78 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
Chuckler

Postby Swede » 01 24, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Great bull. Congratulations. Maybe 2019 is my year for one like that.
Swede

Postby Chuckler » 01 24, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Thanks Swede. I do want to make one clarification, he is not 370 pope and young officially. In my previous post I should have said 370 class bull. We taped him ourselves three separate times and we are not professionals at it by any stretch. You can see in the photo he broke off two of his brow tines. If they were intact, I estimated him to be at 377 if symmetrical. With them broken, I put him at 356. My dad did not care to have him officially scored.
Chuckler

Postby Elkhunttoo » 01 24, 2019 •  [Post 15]

Congrats man!! That is a true beast
Elkhunttoo

Postby Tigger » 01 25, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Okay, now knowing that he "only" scored 356, then I am amending my plans for this year down to 357! :lol:

In my opinion, one should reference the size by what it would have been prior to breaking the tines. He grew it, therefore should be given credit for it. I understand the official score must be based on what is there and for the record book that is fine. But for day to day discussion, take the credit!
Tigger

Postby ishy » 01 26, 2019 •  [Post 17]

Great bull chuckler whatever it scores! So I have thought for years I was the only one doing it, but I have barked back at elk and added chuckles after. Dirk on Elk101 and Born and Raised videos does a similar sequence. I like to use it right on top of the bark, but may wait for the cow to at least not be staring at me before using it. I haven't taken the elk I've used it on, but have felt it gave me a chance with elk within an earshot as it has called everything down. They usually hang around forever and don't bust out like after most barks when I have used it. The last bull I took was within easy hearing distance of about 20 minutes of a cow and I barking and chuckling back and forth before I called him in 1/4 mile farther and an hour later.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L