Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Biggest Bull

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Biggest Bull

Postby Swede » 01 24, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Reading Chuckler's post where he was telling about how they got a 370 P&Y bull caused me to try thinking again. I do not believe I have seen one that large. My best guess for the largest bull I have seen in the woods is a 340-350 P&Y.

What is your estimate for the largest bull you have ever seen while out hunting, or just roaming through elk country?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Biggest Bull

Postby Tigger » 01 24, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Including national parks or not? I am assuming not. Probably about 320 hunting and I don't recall seeing anything huge when not hunting but I have seen some nice ones. My buddy hit the shoulder blade of the 320 and it was like that bull was wearing Kevlar. No penetration. I passed up a 50 yard broadside standing still shot at it because I knew one of us would get a better shot. His shot was 40. Nothing huge for me, that is for sure. But this year I am making plans on harvesting a 371 just to beat Chuckler!
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 01 24, 2019 •  [Post 3]

The biggest bulls I’ve seen are in Pennsylvania in the 400 inch range. Out west I’ve seen a few 350-370 bulls in Wyoming.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Old school » 01 24, 2019 •  [Post 4]

320ish and he was a long way away.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Elkhunttoo » 01 24, 2019 •  [Post 5]

The biggest bull I've seen hunting was 375. We were unable to take him on that hunt but later that day killed a 340 bull. The only reason I know the other score 375 was because the next spring we found his antlers. (Guessed 40 inch spread). Over the last 15 years the group I hunt with has found a lot of horns and we spend a lot of time measuring and guessing. I guarantee you that very few hunters are great at field scoring bulls. I have personally ran a tape over hundreds of horns and am still surprised on some of them. Not saying anyone on here is wrong on there scoring. I just know for me personally when I run into an "average joe" hunter on the hills and he tells me he saw a 350 bull I immediately drop 30-50 inches off. Heck, I have a good friend that loves to hunt that killed a bull a few years ago that he and his dad measured at over 280. I ran a tape over him one night at his house when I had time and scored him at 235 ;) ... I didn't have the heart to tell my friend :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 01 24, 2019 •  [Post 6]

My scope was messed up and I missed a 357, killed 20 minutes up the hill from me.
Made a bad shot on a 360, the ranch hand killed it Or as the rancher told me "My Mexican killed him, cant even speak English"
I posted the pic of these guys before , I choked the 5x5 that year.
the wolves killed and ate everything on the bigger bull two years later the 2nd day of the season :(
Ive stalked a number and watched a few out of a blind in the 350-360 plus
Attachments
bullscopy re (Small) (Custom).jpg
bullscopy re (Small) (Custom).jpg (47.07 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 01 24, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Lefty wrote: "My Mexican killed him, cant even speak English"

"cant even speak English" was that a reference to the rancher or the Mexican? :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ishy » 01 26, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I have been blessed with lots of time in great elk country. Started hunting spikes in Utah LE units, worked in the Tetons, guided in Central Idaho but I think the biggest was just scouting locally in a really low elk density OTC area. It was after dark driving home and he crossed in front of us. My buddy isn't a trophy guy, but he instantly said, "I think we just saw a 400 bull." Hunted that area for the next 5 years and never saw him again. I'm not a video first guy, but have started carrying a small video camera that fits in my pocket and has a 40x optical zoom to be able to have proof of some of the amazing stuff we see. I'm pretty confident two of these bulls from this years hunt will go 350. The ones at 3:15 and 4:50 mark. The one at 4:50 I was pretty disappointed in the video. That was one of the coolest scenes I have witnessed in the woods with him silhouetted on the ridge above us 70 yards away and the video didn't come close to capturing it. Even when he is heading out the video is still terrible, but you get a little better idea of the class of bull he is. That is one time I really wish I had spent some more money on a real camera.
https://youtu.be/pvSUVorvK6E
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Elkhunttoo » 01 26, 2019 •  [Post 9]

ishy wrote:I have been blessed with lots of time in great elk country. Started hunting spikes in Utah LE units, worked in the Tetons, guided in Central Idaho but I think the biggest was just scouting locally in a really low elk density OTC area. It was after dark driving home and he crossed in front of us. My buddy isn't a trophy guy, but he instantly said, "I think we just saw a 400 bull." Hunted that area for the next 5 years and never saw him again. I'm not a video first guy, but have started carrying a small video camera that fits in my pocket and has a 40x optical zoom to be able to have proof of some of the amazing stuff we see. I'm pretty confident two of these bulls from this years hunt will go 350. The ones at 3:15 and 4:50 mark. The one at 4:50 I was pretty disappointed in the video. That was one of the coolest scenes I have witnessed in the woods with him silhouetted on the ridge above us 70 yards away and the video didn't come close to capturing it. Even when he is heading out the video is still terrible, but you get a little better idea of the class of bull he is. That is one time I really wish I had spent some more money on a real camera.
https://youtu.be/pvSUVorvK6E

Nice!!! Utah has a lot of big bulls!! Really hard to tell but I would say you are in the right class... the last bull is a good bull too, hard to say from looking at a little screen on my phone but I would guess him around 320-330
Elkhunttoo

Postby Roosiebull » 01 26, 2019 •  [Post 10]

One roosevelt that scored just over 330" and I am not certain on accuracy, but this past season in the weneha, we saw a handful of bulls that were north of 350" I think 2 were in that 370" range, but tough to tell exactly.

We were working one bull I didn't see, but my buddy did and almost shot that was a huge clean 6 with huge tops. I really wanted to see that bull, especially all of the time invested and how close he was several times.... that is a crazy place!
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 01 26, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:
Lefty wrote: "My Mexican killed him, cant even speak English"

"cant even speak English" was that a reference to the rancher or the Mexican? :lol:

The Mexican Swede.
I spotted something white off in the distance in the desert I drove closer and it looked like a truck , closer it was a new ranch truck with its hood up.
"You Dennis?" Knowing he and I were the only two to generally to be anywhere out there. He saw dust in the distance and popped his hood, Only knowing of me, he knew I would come check out the truck. Sort of like the law of the sea,.. only in the desert
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Bare Flat » 01 28, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Largest bull I’ve seen was pushing 380. I was only a few yards from him and couldn’t see him. I made move to walk up around some trees and we locked eyes at about 11ish yards. He whirled and was taking out pecker poles to get outta there.
Bare Flat

Postby Joe Schmo » 02 05, 2019 •  [Post 13]

430, spike only archery area for me. Dan Agnew shoot him the day after I blew him out of a canyon...he worked really hard writing checks to all the guys he had scouting for him. I never got my check.
Joe Schmo

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 06, 2019 •  [Post 14]

My avatar bull is the biggest I've seen on the hoof. A paltry 330" gross, but at least I stuck an arrow in him! :mrgreen:
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C