Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Early bugling bulls?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Early bugling bulls?

Postby Jfvince1 » 01 27, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I'm planning an archery hunt in Colorado gmu 55/551 for September 2019. We are planning on 2 weeks, we are flexible on the dates. I want to get on them early before they are pressured and before black powder season fires up but I also would like to hunt while they're bugling good. Should we go the first 2 weeks and just hunt travel patterns and hopefully hear bugling by the 2nd week or should we wait until the 2nd and 3rd weeks or maybe 3rd and 4th weeks? I was kind of wanting to be there starting opening week but don't want to miss the prime time bugling We would appreciate any input you guys have on our best chance (timeframe) for success.
Jfvince1

Re: Early bugling bulls?

Postby Swede » 01 27, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I cannot speak to anything that is unique to Colorado, but I prefer the first two weeks of archery season. I don't hear the bugling then that I do later on, but I think the advantage of getting on elk that have not been harassed is enough of an advantage to offset the advantage of the rut. Calling is different early in the season, but they will come if you are patient. There are several calls that work pre-rut. If you are not set on just calling, then ambush hunting and spot and stalk are better early archery season.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 01 28, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Peak rut is about 20-25 of September here in Colorado. I think if you hunt early,you have to kind of take what comes along. Peak rut affords a better chance of taking a better bull when they are more actively defending their harem. I hunt muzzle loader and usually there is very little bugling during that season. Cooler crisp mornings seem to bring it out more later in September.

Worrying about muzzle loader hunters is a false premise. The actual number of them in any one unit is very small when compared to the number of archers now days. Gun fire doesn't effect elk all that much. You will have your stalk or hunt blown a lot more times by every Tom, Dick, and Harry, tooting on bulges or squeezing Hoochie Mama calls whether they be archers or muzzle loader hunters.. From what I observe,I see archers and muzzle loader hunters in the same camps hunting side by side and see no difference in success rate .

It is the ability of the hunter that makes him/her successful, not the tool they use.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 01 28, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:I cannot speak to anything that is unique to Colorado, but I prefer the first two weeks of archery season. I don't hear the bugling then that I do later on, but I think the advantage of getting on elk that have not been harassed is enough of an advantage to offset the advantage of the rut. Calling is different early in the season, but they will come if you are patient. There are several calls that work pre-rut. If you are not set on just calling, then ambush hunting and spot and stalk are better early archery season.

I agree. First 2 weeks are prime time to me, and I have had lots of good calling action right off the bat (granted not Colorado)

Unpressured elk are more fun to hunt in all aspects to me
Roosiebull

Postby Kessler10 » 01 28, 2019 •  [Post 5]

If you can find fresh sign and find where they have been watering and feeding you can get elk to talk at any time in Sept is my experience. Early season I look for water and feed as that is what is most important as they ramp up for the rut.

early season bulls are establishing their rut areas (scrapping trees, putting out their scent, rolling in wallows). if you can identity these areas you can get bulls to respond and get them in close. they are coming to your call more to show off and see what other bulls or cows are going to be around in the coming weeks as the rut comes on. opposed to coming in to fight.

Last year I witnessed a bull covered in mud bugling to a heard of cows about 1,000 feet above him. He was in an open meadow and the cows were walking a trail up high. He was showing off and letting them know he is getting ready for the rut. and to remember him. this was the first week of Sept. After the cows went out of sight I cow called this bull in close.

i also bugled back and forth with a bull for about 20 mins at about 430PM in the afternoon. He came over the ridge to peak down at me and he was with 2 cows. This was also the first week of Sept.

But no doubt as the days went on and temps dropped the vocalization increased.

On the second day of the season last year (which was August 25 in Colorado) I heard a couple different bulls crack off and respond to my location bugle just before dark.

In my opinion its more important to know the area opposed to the timing in Sept you hunt (early versus late). Your tactics will differ from early Sept to late Sept, but if played right you should be able to get bulls to talk and reveal their location. If you have a good idea of a wallow area, bedding area, and or transition area you can coax bulls your way if your persistent and/or patient depending on the scenario. Thankfully I have gotten to know an area with the help of a fellow WT member that has been the main contributor to some great encounters I have had!

I do like the idea that early Sept provides you the opportunity to get in on elk that have yet to be pressured. there is no doubt pros and cons when looking to hunt earlier versus later. do your homework on early season tactics versus late season tactics and know the area your hunting. Pair that with perseverance and you will come away with a good experience. Whether than means a full freezer or just enjoying some cool encounters.
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler