Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2019 plans?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2019 plans?

Postby Bare Flat » 01 28, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Does everyone have this years hunting plans lined out yet? My plans are still up In the air until I see where my career choice lands me. Regardless, it’s gonna be exciting since my 12 year old daughter will be archery hunting this year for the first time.
Bare Flat

Re: 2019 plans?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 28, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Hey, welcome (err, welcome back) to the forum mister!

My 2019 plan is starting to fall into place. It'll probably be two weeks in the Spud State for archery elk (early/mid SEP), one week in the Evergreen State for smoke pole elk (early OCT), and, a hodgepodge of days in WA for the wily black tail. That is if I don't draw any special permits; if that happens, my plans will be adjusted accordingly.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Bare Flat » 01 28, 2019 •  [Post 3]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Hey, welcome (err, welcome back) to the forum mister!

My 2019 plan is starting to fall into place. It'll probably be two weeks in the Spud State for archery elk (early/mid SEP), one week in the Evergreen State for smoke pole elk (early OCT), and, a hodgepodge of days in WA for the wily black tail. That is if I don't draw any special permits; if that happens, my plans will be adjusted accordingly.

Thank you very much!

I’m in an apprenticeship and I’ve only got a few months left. I’ll stay with the same company, but where I end up and what shift is the question. I’ve got some buddies that want me to use my elk points to get us a NE Oregon rifle elk hunt, but I’ve got 2 kids that want to archery hunt elk. I’ll probably listen to my kids, but it’s a tough call since one of my good friends just moved to NE Oregon.
Bare Flat

Postby Swede » 01 28, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Welcome to the forum Bare Flat. I plan to hunt NE Oregon also. I think you are better off archery hunting as you can hunt every year in much of that part of the State, for whatever elk you want. You can use your points for a special hunt once in awhile.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Bare Flat » 01 28, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:Welcome to the forum Bare Flat. I plan to hunt NE Oregon also. I think you are better off archery hunting as you can hunt every year in much of that part of the State, for whatever elk you want. You can use your points for a special hunt once in awhile.

Thanks Swede! I was actually here under a different name in the past, but it’s been awhile.

I tend to agree with you on that. My kids have also been around archery elk hunting so I think they’ll be more comfortable with it.
Bare Flat

Postby wawhitey » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 6]

If i have arch or muzzy elk off this year ill be too busy hunting whitetail at that time. So i bought a rifle elk tag, as that season doesnt overlap deer, and put in for antlerless. Doubt if i will have modern firearm elk off, but if i do ill take the first legal elk possible. Any bull unit, maybe ill draw antlerless tag too, to make it any elk. Fill up the freezer so i can hold off until the bitter end if need be to get one of the big whitetail bucks im after.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby elkstalker » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Living back in Montana after 8 years in Idaho has got me wondering, do I hunt my old familiar spots? New spots? I've also got a couple of kids that will be ready to hunt big game this year, one can hunt deer and the other can hunt deer and elk, so that will take up quite a bit of my time. I've no plans for a 5+ day hunt yet, although I can't rule it out. Probably lots of weekend hunts and maybe a couple long weekends, there is decent elk hunting about 45 minutes away in every direction. I'll just narrow it down as the season approaches and see what happens.
elkstalker

Postby Lefty » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 8]

A few things I may do different.
My daughters boyfriend wants to hunt his families and friends property in (SW?)Colorado He also asked about flip flopping between the desert where I hunted and the mountains.
He got hooked archery hunting the two days he hunted with us.
He wants to learn how to call well , which would mean I could be the shooter once in a while
Archery elk, maybe deer too, Maybe draw for October antelope. Duck hunt and goose hunt when there are geese. Chase a few coyotes ,.. and Ice fish more.
I do want to make a couple cast and blast hunts.

elkstalker wrote:Living back in Montana after 8 years in Idaho has got me wondering, do I hunt my old familiar spots? New spots? I've also got a couple of kids that will be ready to hunt big game this year, one can hunt deer and the other can hunt deer and elk, so that will take up quite a bit of my time. I've no plans for a 5+ day hunt yet, although I can't rule it out. Probably lots of weekend hunts and maybe a couple long weekends, there is decent elk hunting about 45 minutes away in every direction. I'll just narrow it down as the season approaches and see what happens.

The whole kids thing will completely change your plans :D
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 9]

A familiar site to me this year and every year! Always learning my area a little bit better. If you think about it once you’ve hunted a spot for 8 or 10 years you’ve been there longer than any elk in the area.
Attachments
5AE9E188-7B01-44FB-A36D-1C688A227E3C.jpeg
D8BAA0FB-9102-4EE2-862A-63B799301861.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Chuckler » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 10]

I plan to bring home elk for dinner in 2019. :D
Chuckler

Postby Bare Flat » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Chuckler wrote:I plan to bring home elk for dinner in 2019. :D

That’s always the plan!! :lol:
Bare Flat

Postby Indian Summer » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Bare Flat wrote:
Chuckler wrote:I plan to bring home elk for dinner in 2019. :D

That’s always the plan!! :lol:

Yeah... that and antlers for the wall!
Attachments
C1CFD7C2-B6EC-4C95-8D2D-7FDC6EA25DD3.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Bare Flat » 02 05, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Well today I got a membership to the local bow club. I’m gonna get my kids shooting as much as possible before season. I’d love to take them archery elk hunting this year. We’re for sure archery deer hunting here in Oregon, but I’d love to chase elk with them. Especially my daughter.
Bare Flat