Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Cody carr

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Cody carr

Postby tbarile » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I’m looking to do an archery elk hunt this fall and came across Cody. I’ve been calling as references and most have been pretty positive but wanted to check all of my bases. Anyone have feedback on Cody or the area he hunts? I’ve heard good things about Cody and his guys but a couple people said the area he hunts in Montana is too Heavily pressured. Any feedback is greatly appreciated
tbarile

Re: Cody carr

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum bud! Can you provide the general area in MT you're looking at hunting? I imagine our very own Indian Summer will chime in on this thread (he's a former outfitting business owner from the Big Sky State). Lastly, I'm not a frequenting member, but, I know that Bowsite has a pretty comprehensive Outfitter Report/Review place on their forum. Good luck in your research and with whatever hunt/outfit you decide upon. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Welcome to the WT campfire. I hope you get the information you are looking for and have a great hunt.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I can definitely chime in. I don’t know Cody personally but his name is certainly familiar. Probably the 2 most popular outfitters in the Trout Creek and Noxon area are Jerry Malson and Wayne Hill. That area was never easy to hunt. It’s thick... everywhere. No meadows at all. You definitely wouldn’t need a spotting scope and could probably even leave the binos at home which is a pretty big statement. It is... or was an all or nothing area. You’d either kill an elk or you wouldn’t see one. No such thing as glassing. The region had bulls with great mass back in the day. Bucks too both mulies and whitetails. I hunted it hard for years and actually killed my first bull up there. But the two worst things that can happen both took their toll. Back to back to back really bad winters and wolves. The deer were the first to go because they can’t handle deep snow and extremely low temps as well as elk. Then the elk populations went downhill because of the winters and mostly because of wolves. My suggestion would be look elsewhere. If you want more up to the minute feedback send a message to Lyn... the owner of Clip-Shot which is one of our sponsors. He lives in the area and is a really nice guy who would answer any questions you might have. While you’re at it check out his product. It’s a must have. If you’re interested I’d be glad to book you with a hard working outfitter in a nice area. Good luck!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I had no idea that was the area you were looking at. I hunted it a few years ago. PM me if you want my .02. We did it DIY. But we saw the guides out there. And yes get a Clip Shot from Lyn. You will not regret it. You won’t find a nicer guy. Best pizza I ever had was in Trout Creek.
Tigger

Postby Old school » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I hunted years ago with Wayne Hill there in Trout Creek. He’s a die hard elk guide/killer. He had quite a few guides and we were on elk every day. 7 out of 8 of us killed bulls that week. Now he has a skeleton crew compared to back then thanks to the wolves... They still kill some bulls but it’s nowhere near what it used to be. It is nasty thick and nasty up and down stuff up there.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Indian Summer » 01 30, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Old school wrote:I hunted years ago with Wayne Hill there in Trout Creek. He’s a die hard elk guide/killer. He had quite a few guides and we were on elk every day. 7 out of 8 of us killed bulls that week. Now he has a skeleton crew compared to back then thanks to the wolves... They still kill some bulls but it’s nowhere near what it used to be. It is nasty thick and nasty up and down stuff up there.

-Mitch

I could be wrong but if your group did that well did he have you across the line hunting Idaho? He always did the majority of his bow hunting over there and did best on that side. He’s quite the character isn’t he! About as rough mannered as they come. His son Ray and wife Annette, bless her soul, used to wait with wide eyes to see what kind of mood he’d be in. I can’t believe how well he runs the hills considering he smokes at least 2 packs a day. These days one subject of conversation up there are the grizzlies. They seem to have gotten meaner than Wayne! Haha :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Old school » 01 30, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Joe - you are right, Wayne had us over in Idaho. Chain smoker with only 1 lung who could outwalk/outclimb anyone in the camp. I called Annette last year and she said they hold sold the Idaho portion of their operation to someone else so they didn’t hunt over there anymore they just have Montana now. Wayne was a pretty rough character for sure! I still keep in touch with the young guy who guided me. He lives in Wyoming now. One of these days I’ll go rifle hunt elk up there in 4a just for old times sake...

-Mitch
Old school

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 30, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I grew up and cut my elk hunting teeth there. Not for the faint of heart, and, I abandoned hunting there around 8? years ago. It’s not a fraction what it was before the wolf introduction....I’m not kidding. If someone has desired to hunt the Big Sky State, go south.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ