Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Decisions Decisions....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Decisions Decisions....

Postby Indian Summer » 02 02, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I’m curious. We all share a common goal: To kill elk. For the majority that means bull elk. We all know it’s not easy. We spend the year planning, making decisions along the way in hopes that we will be successful in having a successful hunt.

So tell me.... what factors play a role in your decision making? Do you lean toward the cheapest hunt, cheapest or easiest to get license, shortest drive.... familiar country even though you haven’t killed anything there. Once you get where you are going how to you decide on your daily game plans? Whatever it takes? Up hours before light and at it until dark? Or not wiling to kill yourself in the process of trying to kill elk?

Is convenience important or do you make your decisions based on what you think is going to help you kill your bull this year and in the future? Is a little more money, a few more hours of driving, and more sweat worth it to you?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Decisions Decisions....

Postby Swede » 02 02, 2019 •  [Post 2]

There are several factors that are important to me. If I am not very familiar with an area I will scout it on-line and with maps. Then I want to spend several days looking over the area. I have no interest in just going blindly into an area. I will gain insight as the hunt progresses and I have several years of experience.
#1 for me is knowing the hunting area and having confidence it will produce.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 02, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I sort of fell into both areas I hunt elk.
The desert I discovered big bulls while antelope hunting with my daughter.
The other was near where I rifle hunted elk in Montana 27 years ago,.
Started out bear hunting and ATV, ing but seeing so many bull elk while looking for bears.
Map work was part of the plan,.. Few roads in desolate country was important to me
Our family budget has always been part of the decision .
I started elk hunting with a compound archery equipment because I had a bad shoulder. I hunted the desert because of a bad hip. I could walk all day long at the time , but 100 yards of side-hill would lay me up for weeks.
Our family finances limited where I would and could hunt . In part that is why I waterfowl hunted as much as I use too in Utah. I could hunt in the morning and be home for breakfast. When Our daughters were young we spent a lot of time right after school sitting on a river back or in the marsh hunting and homework.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 02 02, 2019 •  [Post 4]

My decisions are fairly straight forward.

I hunt only a few areas and when I get there and set up camp it feels like home. I know them as well as I know my back pasture.

15 days in the back country ,9 of them hunting, gets the knots out of my rope( for city boys ,that is kinks in my brain). In 44 years hunting in Colorado,I have not missed one elk season.In the last ten years ,I have been able to hunt two separate seasons. Ten years in New Mexico,I think I missed five seasons, only because I couldn't draw a tag every year . That is why I moved to Colorado. That was probably the biggest decisions I have ever made concerning elk hunting.
saddlesore

Postby Indian Summer » 02 03, 2019 •  [Post 5]

So saddlesore that’s a big deal! You packed up and moved your entire life because you couldn’t draw a tag where you lived.

For me there’s no limit to what I’ll do to get on bulls. Short of insanity anyway. I’d pay $1500 for my tag, drive 40 hours alone and hike uphill 2000 feet living on dehydrated meals if I am fairly certain there are 6 point bulls at the end of the rainbow. To pay $500 less, drive 10 hours less, or get more sleep because I have an easy hike is absolutely NOT worth sacrificing any amount of opportunity to kill a nice bull.

When it’s all said and done I can make up that $500 over a few months, the drive is forgotten, and come winter who wouldn’t wish they were still hiking up the side of an elk infested mountain! There is no question in my mind that a 20 hour drive home with empty coolers and an unpunched tag is not nearly as easy as a 40 hour ride with packed coolers and a big old rack in the rear view mirror.

The thing that sparked me to make this thread was that at this time of year I am talking to hunters about diy hunt plans. There are mainly two kinds of potential clients.

There are those who have never hunted elk. Lots of times the guy who calls me is ready to buy a plan today. But it’s common for him to have a partner or two that doesn’t think it’s worth it and so many of those conversations end with “I appreciate your time but we’re going to give Colorado a try”

By FAR the majority of the calls I get are from guys 2-3 years ahead of those first timers. Those calls begin with “We have hunted Colorado for 3 years now. We’ve seen some elk but haven’t killed one yet. Way too many people.” Those calls end with “Ok email the contract and we’ll get a check in the mail next week.”

The similarity is the word Colorado. I hear that word a couple hundred times a year. I see it in threads on this website “Me and some buddies are planning our first elk hunt to Colorado. Does anyone have information on GMU # blah blah blah”

The difference in the calls is only a couple things. The guys with some experience have already undergone a reality check and know that elk aren’t deer. They have developed a love for hunting in the mountains but they have also gotten to the point where they need to kill elk! So they realize that a plan is a one time expense for something that is a priceless missing link to their elk hunting succes. Simply put they know the value.

The beginners don’t realize what it’s worth. They think they’ll have a decent chance to find and kill elk. They think the internet has so much to offer that the more time on it the better the odds get. And at this point they are thinking that it’s exciting to go hunt elk and explore a new world and killing elk would be a bonus. That is very true. I’ve been there. We’ve all been there. But that won’t last. Some newbies will get their butts kicked and there dreams shattered. They won’t come back. The others will become obsessed with killing an elk. So inevitably a year or 2 later I see familiar email addresses with messages that start with... “We spoke last year and.....” Those calls end the same as the ones that came the year before from the experienced hunters. “Send the contract!” They have realized the value.

I’ve asked guys why the chose to hunt where they did. Over the years the answers haven’t changed. It’s closer than the other places. We don’t understand the license system in Wyoming and Montana. Licenses are otc. Licenses are cheaper. Also... my buddy hunted a spot there last year so he knows it a little. I ask did he kill an elk? “Well no but.....”

Swede will now reply and call my post an infomercial. But these are facts. It’s February Swede so I’m obviously not hoping to sell Wyoming hunt plans. The license deadline has come and gone. I’m just rolling around all of the conversations that I’ve had recently. Maybe a few will chime in and say that’s how my elk hunting career began. There are guys like Saddlesore who have found great places to hunt in between all the others but they’ve been at it for decades and live where they hunt. There are dedicated hardcore guys from Colorado like OTC Will who are a part of the 10% who kill their elk consistently. But they are just that... The 10% and he also lives where he hunts. Swede also lives where he hunts and rarely goes out of state so the perspective and circumstances are very different. Especially if the first cow you see is worth the cost of your tag, your drive, and your time off of work. I dream of being a retired elk hunter!!!

I guess my point is what do we want? To invest our money and more importantly our time into a successful hunt meaning dead elk. Or a good deal on a good time but no elk to bring home? Think about that next time you make each and every decision in your hunt planning. Is a good deal on a pair of boots really a good idea? Probably not they literally stand between you and the mountain. Is an economy sleeping bag going to cut it... you can always add a log on the fire. No because you will be out cold after exhausting yourself and by the time you wake up to realize you’re freezing the fire will also be out cold. No you don’t need to buy Sitka or Kuiu clothing. Especially if they don’t suit your style of hunting. A tree stand hunter doesn’t benefit from clothes that are meant for mobile hunters. Are cheap binoculars going to serve your purpose? I don’t know. Maybe. That depends on your style of hunting and how much you will actually use them. That’s for you to decide. But some decisions really should be looked at as a time to invest in the best you can afford. Even if it means working or saving a little more to get what you need. That’s how you end up joining the 10% of consistent elk hunters.
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 02 03, 2019 •  [Post 6]

With me,my first tag is a cow tag,the 2nd season is a bull tag. So I get the pleasure of eating a good tasting cow,and then the pleasure of hunting harder to find bulls.

I pretty much busted my butt in my early elk hunting career as Joe relates to. I carried a sleeping bag and a pauncho to make a lean to out of, and camped/ slept where I was that night. If no elk were on one mountain,I dropped to the valley floor and went up the next mountain.If I was working out of town,I would fly home Friday night and drive 200 miles in the middle of the night ,hunt a day and a half,bring meat back, put it in the cooler until the next weekend to butcher, and catch another redeye Sunday night. After doing it a lot,you find out a lot of that is not necessary.

Now though after killing a lot of elk ( I won't say how many because most won't believe it),I don't hunt as hard, just smarter and slower. The elk still come , but there is more enjoyment in the total hunt. Once you learn the tactics, a lot of the minutia falls away. There are not a lot of big decisions to worry about.

If a nonresident comes to Colorado and can't find elk and kill one after three years, they are doing something wrong. Colorado manages elk herds for quantity ,not quality so the chance for killing a 300+ bull ,granted is limited. In my years of hunting, I have met several that come and kill elk the1st year,strictly DYI. The big difference in those that don't is skill and lack of determination/patience, not lack of elk.
saddlesore

Postby Indian Summer » 02 03, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I’ll back pedal a little bit. As Lefty mentioned in another thread CO has the highest number of elk of any state. My reply was something like they have more elk but more habitat. If Montana has half as many elk in half as much country the density is the same. So those numbers mean nothing really. But the number of hunters per square mile does matter. My point in this thread is that people aren’t choosing the place they hunt based on that stuff or even on success rates or quality of bulls. They are basing it on cost and convenience. If you had a solid location to hunt in Colorado or any state proven by the track record of your partners then you would be making a wise choice. Idaho and Montana have great hunting but if you go the wrong area... those decimated by wolves, the hunting will be terrible. The reason I mentioned Colorado is because as I said... that’s how at least 8 out of 10 of my phone calls begin.
Indian Summer

Postby Lsb » 02 03, 2019 •  [Post 8]

This statement got me banned from another site but sorry IS, too many words, didn't read it.
Lsb

Postby hammer3332 » 02 12, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer,

I am an individual that would fall under the “first timer caller” category, and I really appreciate your post. I live in the Midwest and whitetail hunting has been my experience like many others that come west to chase elk. A few years ago my eyes were opened up to elk hunting Colorado as I tagged along with a buddy during a 3rd season rifle hunt and we hunted hard for 6 days and never got in to Elk. I loved every minute of it because it was an adventure. Maybe I am still too naive and haven’t pushed myself to the breaking point yet, but I am planning on making time to do a DIY archery hunt this fall. It’s posts like these that ground me and keep my expectations in check. It’s easy to watch stuff online and be motivated and think success can come to me. Statistics don’t lie :lol: Anyway appreciate guys like you and saddlesore for the wisdom and grounding.
hammer3332

Postby Indian Summer » 02 12, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Welcome aboard Hammer. You’ve come to the right place to learn. Feel free to type questions until you can’t feel your fingers!

I love teaching guys to hunt elk.
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 02 12, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Being a Colorado resisdent, I know my hunting area well and have a good sucecss ratio, but I tell anyone on contemplating a DYI hunt with an OTC tag that they need to expect a nice camping trip hiking around the woods with thousands of other hunters. I advise the DYI hunter wanting to hunt with an OTC tag ,to look at other states. For 2020 CPW is closing a lot of SW Colorado hunt units from OTC archery to draw a only.That is going to push a lot of those hunters to other OTC units crowding them more. CPW quotes the reasoning on input from hunters that it is too crowded and too few elk.Knowing CPW's greed for more license money,you know it must be bad if they are willing to sacrifice those sales.Look to the future for more units going draw only and license fees going up to makeup for less sales

Although Colorado has a lot of public land, having 280,000 + elk in the western half of Colorado more than compares with elk numbers and public land in Wyoming or Montana
saddlesore

Postby robloft » 02 13, 2020 •  [Post 12]

When I decided to go elk hunting I talked to a guy that goes to Colorado with a group of people almost every year. He said they usually kill at least one elk between the 5-7 people that go. Sometimes they kill more and once he said they all killed an elk. I chose to go to Montana instead because from what I read online about Colorado being crowded and the limited season length. I talked to a few people from Montana before I went and it was recommended that I come later in the season and so I did. I’m from Mississippi and we rarely get snow. Snow had started to stick in most of Montana when I got there. I was in good shape but I wasn’t as prepared as I thought to walk up and down mountains in 6-8 inches of snow. I didn’t get to go hunting last year and it’s not looking too good this year either. I will buy a point in Wyoming and maybe Montana again and see how things look next year. I’ve looked at other states but from why I’ve read online and from talking to people on forums and other places Montana and Wyoming are two of the better states to hunt so I will stick with trying to hunt these two states but I don’t think I’ll wait till November to go elk hunting again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Postby Indian Summer » 02 13, 2020 •  [Post 13]

I love late season, Thanksgiving week, in Montana. BUT that’s because I knew migration routes. I’d hunt as high as I could because there were no other hunters so naturally that’s where the elk were. Lots of them! But I didn’t have to cover much ground to hunt where I wanted to hunt. I can’t imagine not knowing the area and having to search for elk under those conditions.

In Wyoming most gun seasons run from October 15 to the end of the month so things never get as bad. There are even areas that open up in late September if you really want to avoid winter weather.
Indian Summer

Postby 7mmfan » 02 13, 2020 •  [Post 14]

The end goal and motivation is different for everyone, and every group has it's own dynamics. I grew up hunting with my Dad as my main partner. We learned to elk hunt together in our home state of WA chasing spikes and the occasional cow tag. It wasn't until 5 or 6 years ago that I started getting the itch for a better quality hunt and started the research. I made the decision that I wanted to OTC states because I wanted to elk hunt every year, not play the points game. I wanted to have the same kind of hunt we had in WA where we camped in the same place, and hunted ground we were familiar with. Exploring is a lot of fun, but tags are expensive! That was fun for a few years but now I'm finding myself yearning for a deeper back country hunt. Sleeping on the ground where the elk live instead of hiking hours in the dark to get to the edge of where they live and never really penetrating it.

The problem is, my Dad doesn't have that same yearning. He enjoys the full blown truck camp with wall tent, bathrooms, big fires, and other luxuries associated with camps like that. He is in his mid 60's and has come to terms with the fact that he is slowing down and doesn't want to push as far and hard as he used to. He wants to kill elk, and did this last year, but he accepts the fact that his success will be lower and he's ok with that. He just enjoys being in the hills.

So I find myself in a predicament. My main hunting partner doesn't have the same goals I do now. I'm willing to climb that mountain, and then drop down to the bottom and go up the next to find the elk. I'm willing to sleep on the ground and be uncomfortable. I'm not just willing, but WANT to push the limits to go where they live and kill a bull. I know I can do it every year where we hunt, I just need to put the effort in. Dad isn't willing to, and doesn't want to. So do I stay in camp and hunt familiar ground with a few elk in it here and there, and not fulfill my wants, but maintain the partnership with my dad? I don't feel good about that. Do I strike out on my own and leave Dad in camp for a few days to fend for himself? I also don't feel good about that. Decisions decisions...
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Kessler10 » 02 13, 2020 •  [Post 15]

Ok, ill speak up. Knowing IS and SS fairly well this post is fascinating.

I started elk hunting probably 8-9 years ago. I went to Wyoming where my uncle lived and did some cow hunting that was a day trip up and back from his house. Killed a cow my second year with my rifle, close enough to the truck we could drag it to the truck with 3 guys. My uncle and dad used to hunt hard with horses up by Cody, but I missed that window. They took me out on this cow hunt close to where my uncle lived in Wheatlland (Area 7) and I loved it. But something was missing. I wanted more. More of challenge and discover more about the mountain and elk. I also needed to find something in my life at this time to keep me grounded and out of trouble

That lead me to archery hunting to get a true sense and grasp of what an elk does, says and how they act. I wanted close encounters, I wanted to push myself.

So I meant IS and went on an outfitted archery hunt in Montana. I learned a lot and the guide I was with at the end of the trip said "you know you can do this all on your own and have success." I went back up to Montana that year for rifle season and helped a buddy pack out a bull. From that trip on I was set to pack out my own bull someday.

from there I picked Colorado mainly because I had already hunted WY and MT and had a brother in-law and uncle that lived there close to spots I could hunt. I met SS through my research/WT to zero in on a spot for a place to start and hunted CO for the last 4 years. Some of that time was solo and some of the time I brought my dad or cousin. On the very first year I had multiple encounters with big bugling bulls. Once came with in 10-15 yards and my arrow hit a branch, another came with 30 yards but needed "to take one more step". the second year was rough, then the 3rd year I called in a cow for my cousin and I on bulls again, but I didn't draw the permit that year for me to carry my bow in that area. Just took my cousin since he drew. this last year was my 4th year and again was on bulls and saw elk everyday. Let an arrow go at a raghorn bull and my fletching nicked a branch. It was my most successful year in terms of seeing elk and encounters.

I have had a lot of people help me along the way and that is/was so valuable and crucial to get me where I am at now, but in the end it is up to you to go out and do it and push yourself. You can get all the help from online, google, ONx, gohunt and other hunters, but when it comes down to pushing yourself to the next ridge, getting up every morning, going one more day, and making the shot, thats on you/me.

I felt I had a lot of success in CO even though I never tagged a bull. I learned a lot and I will go back. But My circumstances and experiences are different than someone else. So this is in no way me saying a newbie should start out in CO.

I choose to come back to WY this year mainly because I wanted a change. I wanted to explore new ground. I also wanted to try a new state now that I have a better understanding and capability of archery elk hunting. I also had enough points to for sure draw WY General this year, so that makes it a much easier choice. I like to know I am going to 100% draw a tag when I apply. That was no longer the case where I hunt in CO, but was the case this year for WY. So I may bounce back and forth between CO and WY and acquire points each off year so I can have the best odds to for sure draw whatever tag/state I put in for that year. I hate the game of putting in and it being a 50/50 chance. I like to start my planning right when I apply. I know its not always realistic but that is what I try for.

So I think the most important thing to me is that I know I will draw the tag I want that year. Along with having at least some level of understanding of the area before I hunt. I feel confident enough now in my ability to get on elk no matter where I go (within reason). And that in no way is a brag, I worked my as off for years and had a lot of highs and lows to be able to say that with some relative confidence.

This site and several on this site have played a large role in my journey to tag bull, will be a good feeling to share when it happens!
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Postby saddlesore » 02 13, 2020 •  [Post 16]

7mmfan wrote:So I find myself in a predicament. My main hunting partner doesn't have the same goals I do now. I'm willing to climb that mountain, and then drop down to the bottom and go up the next to find the elk. I'm willing to sleep on the ground and be uncomfortable. I'm not just willing, but WANT to push the limits to go where they live and kill a bull. I know I can do it every year where we hunt, I just need to put the effort in. Dad isn't willing to, and doesn't want to. So do I stay in camp and hunt familiar ground with a few elk in it here and there, and not fulfill my wants, but maintain the partnership with my dad? I don't feel good about that. Do I strike out on my own and leave Dad in camp for a few days to fend for himself? I also don't feel good about that. Decisions decisions...

There will come a time in your life when you will give anything to be able to hunt with your Dad. At present, I wish I could have hunted with my son that moved back east You have many years ahead of you to hunt your dreams Only a few to hunt with your father. It would be a non-decision for me
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 02 13, 2020 •  [Post 17]

Timely thread. Well I hope not. Let me explain. I have hunted WY and MT the last 5 years based on licensing. But given the ability to get a license and our group dynamics, we are walking on extremely thin ice this year in WY. If we don't draw, and I doubt we will, I am going to be the guy researching OTC units in CO and ID. I have researched other spots 4 other times, but none of them were OTC. Even though I have done it, it is still a daunting challenge. I have absolutely no idea where to start. I have not tips on units or anything. I guess I will start with the Game and Fish agencies and start filling up notebooks with drawing stats and harvest success rates. Ugg. I really hope it doesn't come to that.
Tigger

Postby Kessler10 » 02 13, 2020 •  [Post 18]

Tigger wrote:Timely thread. Well I hope not. Let me explain. I have hunted WY and MT the last 5 years based on licensing. But given the ability to get a license and our group dynamics, we are walking on extremely thin ice this year in WY. If we don't draw, and I doubt we will, I am going to be the guy researching OTC units in CO and ID. I have researched other spots 4 other times, but none of them were OTC. Even though I have done it, it is still a daunting challenge. I have absolutely no idea where to start. I have not tips on units or anything. I guess I will start with the Game and Fish agencies and start filling up notebooks with drawing stats and harvest success rates. Ugg. I really hope it doesn't come to that.

Tigger, checkout Gohunt.com. It requires a subscription but its a super easy way to research units and you can filter it anyway you want. For example, say you wan to look at only units in CO with 75%+ public land, 15%+ success rate, and 300 inch bull potential. It will give you all those units then gives you description of each unit such as past draw results over last 5 years, harvest rates over last 5 years, access points, terrain etc. And you can view all this info basically on one screen. It give you information that would have taken days/weeks to compile. Its not cheap, but its worth the cost by the time you save and accuracy of the data.
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Postby Tigger » 02 13, 2020 •  [Post 19]

Thanks. I am on Gohunt. It is great tool, but I usually start with game and fish agencies. Maybe I should switch and start there. chicken...egg? I usually like to understand how the state conducts their drawing first...preference points, random, etc. I also like to look at the raw data from the draw results. Gohunt kinda misses on a few things related to draw odds (ie MT general draw odds).
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 02 13, 2020 •  [Post 20]

saddlesore wrote:
7mmfan wrote:So I find myself in a predicament. My main hunting partner doesn't have the same goals I do now. I'm willing to climb that mountain, and then drop down to the bottom and go up the next to find the elk. I'm willing to sleep on the ground and be uncomfortable. I'm not just willing, but WANT to push the limits to go where they live and kill a bull. I know I can do it every year where we hunt, I just need to put the effort in. Dad isn't willing to, and doesn't want to. So do I stay in camp and hunt familiar ground with a few elk in it here and there, and not fulfill my wants, but maintain the partnership with my dad? I don't feel good about that. Do I strike out on my own and leave Dad in camp for a few days to fend for himself? I also don't feel good about that. Decisions decisions...

There will come a time in your life when you will give anything to be able to hunt with your Dad. At present, I wish I could have hunted with my son that moved back east You have many years ahead of you to hunt your dreams Only a few to hunt with your father. It would be a non-decision for me

In general SS, you are right. I had planned on sitting this year out from our usual out of state hunt, for various reasons. But as the realization sets in that I only have so many hunting seasons left with my father, the more I feel I need to go. Not just want to go, but need to. I owe it to myself, my Dad, and my son to keep that tradition alive.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby robloft » 02 13, 2020 •  [Post 21]

Indian Summer wrote:I love late season, Thanksgiving week, in Montana. BUT that’s because I knew migration routes. I’d hunt as high as I could because there were no other hunters so naturally that’s where the elk were. Lots of them! But I didn’t have to cover much ground to hunt where I wanted to hunt. I can’t imagine not knowing the area and having to search for elk under those conditions.

In Wyoming most gun seasons run from October 15 to the end of the month so things never get as bad. There are even areas that open up in late September if you really want to avoid winter weather.

It was beautiful and I saw elk... on private land right by the roads I was driving on to get where I was hunting. But I didn’t care for the snow. Or the 4 degree high. It was fun and I’m excited for when I can go back. Hopefully next time I’ll have found someone to go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Postby Marble » 03 18, 2020 •  [Post 22]

My decision making is always geared towards what will help me kill my quarry.

I'm not afraid of the SUCK.

I will have no regrets after season, as in choosing not to check a drainage cause it looks like it will suck.

Whatever it takes...
Marble

Postby Lefty » 03 19, 2020 •  [Post 23]

Indian Summer wrote:I guess my point is what do we want?

Saddle Sore and Indian Summer have had some great responses.

For me success isnt always the kill. But the rest of the story

In my early years as a trapper I killed about anything I wanted and in all sorts places. So in many regards killing a deer or bear or elk isn't my only idea of a successful hunt, Nor is killing the huge buck or bull
I do like putting meat in the freezer. But an individual hunt hide horns and feathers are important

And Sometimes I dont know what the purpose is. Other than the experience of what happens

My first year as a non commercial trapper we had moved to Washington state. Checking out some maps I decided on where to hunt. Opening morning this incredible little basket head 7x9 blacktail hung around me for nearly an hour under 75 yards. Maybe the only deer I ever regretted not pulling the trigger. But I was able to discover and hunt some incredible country .

I pass on lots of small bucks, cows , calves,small bulls early season . Im not a trophy hunter, But I pass on those deer because Ill hunt tomorrow , or on Tuesday.
I find a strange sense of satisfaction. Having experiences most outdoors man don't , wont or shouldn't, or dont even know they've had.

I get a thrill out of taking out an animal there is a bit of adventure ,

So much of my hunting and trapping isnt(wasnt) driven just by the take. Some times its the thrill given and shared with others. dozens of people Ive taken goose hunting, took their first goose, their first limit , their first in-yo-face goose, first band, first double or triple on birds, 4 shot limit

One of my biggest thilles , with a friend and exceptional trap and skeet shooter, duck caller and hunter, missing 27 consecutive shots at geese :lol: all on geese under 20 yards ( he was leading the geese)

Early on my trapping was for the sport and money. As time past my goals were different. One fellow I took trapping he wanted to catch a mix of animals on a piece of property and only had one night We set a dozen different traps . The next morning "we' had of those 12 traps 1 beaver, 1 red fox, one grey fox , 2 raccoon and a muskrat. Ive seen that fellow once 27 years ago. This year on his 98 birthday he called and talked to me and said that was on of his greatest outdoor adventures and described that day , much of what I forgot
My point is I find a lot of satisfaction in others thrill or joy

This year one our neatest moments was a cow elk that literally pushed Andrews broad head around and stepping between his legs as he sat, or was it the bull he and my daughter totally messed up on at 20 yards or was it the bull moose that displayed yards away

What Ive done with all three of my daughters hunting is brag worthy game wise to most,.(me too) . but more important to me was the experience and adventure most never have

I quite enjoy WAWhitey posts; and his pursuits, While different than manys experiences, they are unique buy most hunters standards. That my kick in the pants too
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H