Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

This is why I hunt.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

This is why I hunt.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 1]

BearPaw started this thread over on his forum (Hunting Washington) and I thought we'd run it here 8-)

"We all have our reasons why we hunt but I'm not sure we always understand why other people hunt? I thought it might be interesting to hear from everyone regarding why they like to hunt?"

Please, share "why you hunt".
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: This is why I hunt.

Postby saddlesore » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 2]

There is long post on 24 hour camp fire about the exact same thing, under Elk Hunting, Why Hunt Elk.

Some might want to read a few of those comments.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Chuckler » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I love to hunt because it speaks to the heart of a man. Hunting offers a place to go be a wild man and have an adventure. Hunting the backcountry can't be tamed. The woods are the place I grew up watching other men. Through hunting, I watched male role models demonstrate good ethics, respecting life even as they put meat on the table, work ethic, and being tough against the elements. It is where the majority of my best memories take place. Good, fair chase hunting is a huge source of refreshment for me. The wild, where I like to hunt, demonstrates a picture of who my maker is. On a slightly less deep note, we come in a prepackaged society. It's nice to provide meat for my family by harvesting and processing it for myself.
Chuckler

Postby Swede » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Dad took me with him when I was 7 or 8 years old. I did not carry a gun or anything else. I just went along. At about 9 or 10 he gave me a 22 rim-fire and I carried that. I was not going to get to shoot it, but he wanted me to get familiar with carrying a gun and thinking hunting. He would remind me frequently to point the gun away from him and to watch the muzzle. "Keep it out of the dirt" and things like that. At 12 years of age I got to carry a borrowed legal deer rifle and at 13 I got my first real big game rifle of my own. It was a 6.5 Swede Mauser. I still have it.
Now to that question about why. I guess that is about as easy as asking why a hunting dog hunts. It is in their blood, and just like the dog, I look forward to hunting every year. And just like that dog, I am proud to bring back any critter. I don't care much if the elk or deer is a P&Y trophy or a "baldy". I am pleased with what I get. After an especially long hunt, within two weeks I am ready to go again. I am missing the chase. I am not really sure why. It is just in the blood.
When I consider Lefty's old dog, I feel sorry for her. Probably I am thinking about my own fate a little.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Part 1: Dan Crockett is an author who filled the last spot in the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation’s Bugle magazine with an article called Good Hunting. The subject was more often than not why men hunt. It was always my favorite and I would read it first.

Why we hunt is a very complex subject. I believe there are multiple reasons for each of us and those reasons vary for every individual.

For me anyway I believe it is a deeply ingrained natural instinct. An animal instinct. I am such a hunter by nature that I actually feel slightly out of place in the grocery store. They seem like such a product of modern man to me and to me modern man or city folks as I often refer to them as are so out of touch with reality and their natural instincts that it boggles my mind. I feel sorry for them! I wonder what they will do if the world as they know it crashes. I think I’d be considered wealthy. Haha

My dad did not hunt. I had no mentor or teacher. I didn’t develop an interest in hunting at a certain age. It was always there. I’d sooner watch Daniel Boone or Grizzly Adams than any children’s show when I was young. I grew up outdoors all day every day in the woods and creeks. I have always been completely comfortable outdoors. I was a Cub Scout then a Boy Scout and very proficient at camping fishing and building fires at an early age. While other kids played with whatever it was they played with I built Lincoln Log homes and always wanted to live in a log home. I look at humans as just another animal that walks this planet. And that is why we hunt.... me anyway.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Elkhntr08 » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 6]

It calms my soul.
Elkhntr08

Postby Indian Summer » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Part 2: I enjoy my alone time. But I also enjoy socializing. To me hunting provides both. This forum is an excellent place to socialize with people who share an interest in one of my biggest passions. The hunt itself is exactly the same but to the next level because I’m with a partner who not only shares that passion but we also have similar values, similar personalities, and enjoy each other’s company. Camp life is priceless to me. I’m an extremely accomplished camper. It gives me a chance to be a McGiver developing ways to make life in the outdoors more convenient using whatever is available. But come morning I get to disappear into the hills and let my animal instincts lead me in the same direction the elk tend to go. That alone time isn’t just for hunting either. It’s a time to think. Decide what does and doesn’t matter in life. Rearrange priorities. It’s also a time to go undisturbed while my instincts and all of the lessons I have learned get put to the ultimate test. Anytime you can outwit an animal like an elk in it’s own element you are definitely putting things to the test. And when you have honed that skill to the point of being consistent in outwitting them while you put your body to an extreme physical test and your mind to the ultimate mental challenge.... you are defining who you are to yourself and I think that carries over nicely into other aspects of your life be it your job, relationships, or setting and achieving goals in general. In other words.... hunting is life! Bring on fall!!!
Indian Summer

Postby Lsb » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I like abuse
Lsb

Postby Indian Summer » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Lsb wrote:I like abuse

Good to know I’m not the only one. People who don’t like punishing themselves a little will never become long term elk hunters. :lol: Pushing through that is what makes a dead bull such a huge accomplishment.
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Then there’s this!
Attachments
9D84FAD2-E2CE-43F8-A87C-FB203B498645.jpeg
9D84FAD2-E2CE-43F8-A87C-FB203B498645.jpeg (117.88 KiB) Viewed 5099 times
Indian Summer

Postby Lsb » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Indian Summer wrote:Then there’s this!

There is that. Not to jack the thread but have you cut, or had your butcher cut flatirons out of your elk? You're missing out if you don't.
Lsb

Postby BrentLaBere » 02 05, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Lsb wrote:
Indian Summer wrote:Then there’s this!

There is that. Not to jack the thread but have you cut, or had your butcher cut flatirons out of your elk? You're missing out if you don't.

I agree with this. Those flat irons are nice.

The food is important to me. Ive learned to really like cooking at experimenting with different techniques and wild game.
Ive also learned that I really enjoy the entire process. Planning and researching areas. Learning as much as I can. I cant put my finger on the exact thing I like. I dont know if there is one thing.
The experience, the knowledge that is only earned from it and the adventure.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 05, 2019 •  [Post 13]

LOL, dang there's a whole lot of truth to that statement!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Lefty » 02 05, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Elkhntr08 wrote:It calms my soul.

Maybe my reason also.
I do hikes, drives, canoe and ATV, trips horse rides, for all the same "reason". When I ran a trapline in the winter it was common for me to take off and explore for n hour or two many days
I do like to hunt with family, but I really enjoy being alone too. I took a hike the other day I enjoyed the drive to an isolated part of the desert which didn't have too deep of snow. I took my old dog to part of the desert that is remote and only foot traffic. I found a lot of pleasure in finding a wetland fen that isnt on a map,.. a small pot hole 50 foot in diameter surround with bull rush and saltgrass and 6-7 tall Idaho sage: just an incredible place.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 02 05, 2019 •  [Post 15]

There is some "brain theory" behind the physical and mental aspects. Is it muscles getting sore or experiencing a runners high, adrenaline rush maybe the feel of cool or cold wind , heat of the sun, a good sweat or some other form of a rush
The whole attention deficit disorder (ADD) can be part of it. Current social science suggest than only 13% of boys have ADHD. Some of us just control it better. but many boy/men want or need that feeling there just hasnt been much research. Of the guy on this form I bet a high percentage of 60% qualify for ADHD diagnosis. ( a medical term for boy growing up)
ADHD by the Numbers: Facts, Statistics,
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a neurodevelopmental disorder that most often occurs in children, but can also be diagnosed in adulthood. Symptoms of ADHD include:
..... having trouble concentrating or focusing
.....having difficulty staying organized
..... being forgetful about completing tasks
..... having difficulty sitting still
Did you spend time daydreaming about being in the wood or staring out the window in Jr High, your locker was disorganized mess. Unfortunately the goody-too-shoes put many of us in that category , when in reality the goody-too-shoes are freaks :lol:
If you learned better by working, enjoyed your voc classes in school and didn't go in to finance, banking/office work you very likely have some degree of ADHD , enjoy abuse, self employed or physical job, maybe left handed (:lol: ) love hard work the aspect of the experience but not always the reward ( work hard he money doesnt matter ).

Boy I may have side tracked a bit
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Kessler10 » 02 05, 2019 •  [Post 16]

1st and foremost.......I love the outdoors and I love providing meat for my family and friends.

To experience extraordinary things go to extraordinary places. You have no idea what your capable of doing until you test yourself and push yourself to the limit. I love pushing my limit and see what I can do. Having this passion for back country elk hunting has helped me in other areas of my life.

I also enjoy the challenge doing something not a lot of other people can do, or have the balls to do.
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Postby Tigger » 02 05, 2019 •  [Post 17]

Kessler10 wrote:1st and foremost.......I love the outdoors and I love providing meat for my family and friends.

To experience extraordinary things go to extraordinary places. You have no idea what your capable of doing until you test yourself and push yourself to the limit. I love pushing my limit and see what I can do. Having this passion for back country elk hunting has helped me in other areas of my life.

I also enjoy the challenge doing something not a lot of other people can do, or have the balls to do.

I love that last line. I don't hunt for other people's reaction, but it does make me chuckle when their eyes get big when I tell them the stories!
Tigger