Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Winter Emphasis

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Winter Emphasis

Postby Swede » 02 11, 2019 •  [Post 1]

We all have routines we manage through the seasons, but is there any areas you are emphasizing this winter that will help prepare you for the next elk season?

I have about everything I need, but have to keep my arm and shoulder strength up. I am concerned if I let things go for even a short time on the calendar, I may have a hard time getting the strength back. I also have been doing quite a bit of online scouting my hunting area. My son has pointed out two large herds of elk he located close by, in an August aerial overview, on Google Earth. BTW: "No" is the answer to your question. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Winter Emphasis

Postby Tigger » 02 11, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Weight training. I have done very little of that in past off seasons, but this year am doing it. It is going pretty well so far.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 02 11, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Ive been remodeling a house,.. tree removal, room demo, exterior demo, concrete demo, up and down ladders, and taking care of my old dog,.. in and out of the truck 10 times per day, plus a few bobcat snares.

putting that behind me will give me time for the rest of the seasons prep. Now with longr days Ill be doing more!! Ill start more hiking and shooting in march. then Bear season. Packing in baits
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 02 11, 2019 •  [Post 4]

As you have probably seen in the gear forum I bought a new lightweight wall tent. I’ve always said wall tents with heat are the way to go. No heat means less comfort, less sleep, and no drying of clothes and gear. I’ll be buying the wood stove next.

I believe that location is the number one factor in killing elk. Meaning you have to be where the elk are. You can get in better shape but you can also just set up shop closer to the elk so you don’t have to prepare for daily marathon hikes to get on them. So that’s what I’ve been doing. Making sure that I’ll be in striking distance of elk I already know are there. I’ll do some time on Google Earth since I’ll be able to push further. But again it’s just expanding on my existing area in a direction I’ve seen lots of bulls come and go.

That’s something I love about hunting big mountains. Expanding my horizons. You are always learning your area better because it’s huge but you are also pushing further. Taking a good plan and making it better. I think that’s better than relocating to a second area altogether. No gambling. I know the elk. I know where other hunters do and don’t go. Thiscway from my base camp I have more options. Plans A, B, C, D etc. etc. Sometimes we try another plan because we need to. But sometimes it’s just funntonhunt fresh country and give other places a break.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 02 11, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Joe.Last year, I bought all new lightweight gear figuring I was going to do the same thing you mentioned. The first trip to 10,000 feet though I found my mind is willing, but body isn't. I am going to keep the tent,cot, chair, and bag for summer use, but sell the wood stove. It is a Kifaru Medium SS box stove and weighs 5.4 #'s. $300 plus shipping. New retail was $330. Never used in the tent. Only fired up once to do the initial break in as MFGR suggests. 9 ft, long,3" stovepipe. Will include the top stovepipe stabilizer rings and guys I made

https://store.kifaru.net/box-stoves-sta ... l-p87.aspx
saddlesore

Postby saddlesore » 02 11, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Not doing much yet. Mostly on the tractor blowing and plowing snow, breaking ice.

Deciding what hunts to put in for this year. There will be less this year due to CO Parks and Wildlife upping the cost for each tag and application fee. Antelope, deer and fishing are out now. Although I always bough ta small game license, that went up too, but I will have to buy one in March in order to apply for a muzzle loader elk tag and will buy an OTC rifle tag for 2nd rifle season.

There is still a lot of snow and cold here, so when the weather breaks,I will be cleaning and repairing tack.Then go thru the trailer brakes. Doing daily chores keeps me busy

I knocked down about 6 trees before the last blizzard hit, so they will have to be pulled out, trimmed, and cut for firewood to give away to the needy
saddlesore

Postby Indian Summer » 02 11, 2019 •  [Post 7]

saddlesore wrote:Joe.Last year, I bought all new lightweight gear figuring I was going to do the same thing you mentioned. The first trip to 10,000 feet though I found my mind is willing, but body isn't. I am going to keep the tent,cot, chair, and bag for summer use, but sell the wood stove. It is a Kifaru Medium SS box stove and weighs 5.4 #'s. $300 plus shipping. New retail was $330. Never used in the tent. Only fired up once to do the initial break in as MFGR suggests. 9 ft, long,3" stovepipe. Will include the top stovepipe stabilizer rings and guys I made

https://store.kifaru.net/box-stoves-sta ... l-p87.aspx

I don’t go lightweight on the stove. I do on the tent because I pack it out. My stove stays on the mountain. It has to be standard size and hold heat all night. It’ll be the steel cylinder stove. Maybe Camp Chef because they have a pretty good price. I’d never sacrifice space or a good heat source for any camp. My spike camp is as solid as any base camp.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 11, 2019 •  [Post 8]

My winter emphasis has been on hammering out the final details of my shot sequence, and upping my strength training so 64 lbs doesn't feel so bad if I have to hold for 10-15 seconds come September. Three years ago I tore apart my shot and set out to rebuild it properly. With a lot of work I'm finally happy about how I'm shooting with my recurve.

A few more weeks of drilling in my final piece of the process and I can start practicing lots of uphill/downhill shooting. I still need to work on adding a nervous grunt to the shot cycle. I go from tennis ball groups to barely on the Rinehart.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Elkduds » 02 12, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Maps. Lots and lots of maps.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Kessler10 » 02 12, 2019 •  [Post 10]

im finally at a spot where I have the all the gear I need, or made tweaks to the gear over the last few years based on trial and error.
So good on gear, which is usually a winter focus for me.

next up is hunt area. I have that dialed in after hunting it the last few years, having help from Vince (SS), and a few scout trips. that is usually another area of focus in the winter for me. Ill still be going over maps and google earth to devise my overall A, B, c, and D plans. What days I want to hunt what spots, what trails and paths will I take from one spot to the other or if spot A or B isnt showing sign etc.

Final thing is physical conditioning. Im doing something different this year. usually I dont start really working out until April/May, for some reason Its hard for me to stay consistent and motivated in the winter, I need to get over that.

this year I want to be in shape going into April and May so I have hired a part time trainer to help me get started. Once the spring weather hits its easy for me to hike outside with my pack and do my workouts outdoors. thats what I really enjoy doing. But in the winter its more challenging for me to stay motivated, b/c I hate gyms. And its to cold to doing outside training/workouts.

My hope is this Sept Ill be more prepared in regard to the above 3 things than I have any other year. Control the things I can control. I can control my effort on the above 3 things. If I have all those things tip top shape, then I just need a little help/luck from wind direction and the hunting gods to bring it all together and get my first bull on the ground.
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler