Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Drive By Shooting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Drive By Shooting

Postby Swede » 02 15, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Even if you had to spot and stalk or call after spotting them from your motor vehicle, have you ever got an elk on a drive by shooting as I like to call it? I have seen elk when driving but have never been able to get after one and shoot it. A few times when I saw them close to the road, I drove past and out of sight then pulled over, got my bow and tried to sneak back. They are always gone. When I try to follow them and call, they stay both silent and gone.
Has anyone had any better success at this than I have had?

Note: What I am asking about is not the illegal practice of "Hunt or harass any wildlife from a motor propelled vehicle" as defined in regulations. I am asking about traveling to or from a destination and you happen to see an elk and go after it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Drive By Shooting

Postby Indian Summer » 02 15, 2019 •  [Post 2]

No but one time I sat down with a cup of coffee and spotted a her with a small bull in it across the Bitterroot River. I went into town and took care of some errands and when I got back Inout on waders, crossed the river, hiked up the hill and quartered him out. No drive bys though.

Oh wait... I pulled up to a fire tower once and there were about 40 elk in my parking spot. It was still dark out. I backed up and waited 30 minutes for the sun to come up. Then I snuck up to the crest of the hill with my niece and there they were. She shot her first elk 150 feet from the truck.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 02 16, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Not in a vehicle , but I have shot a few riding by on my mule, getting off and killing one. One time when I had three elk tags, (Two for 3rd season, 1 for 4th), me and my hunting pard ran into herd of elk . I got off, and while holding the reins, shot a bull and a cow two while he was tying up his mule, and then he shot one. That was a long day. Turns out we didn't fill the tag for the 4th season as we almost got snowed in. We had to leave.

Another time,I jumped off, pulled my rifle and shot a cow.She needed a finishing shot, so I ran about 50 yards and was about to pop her when the mule I had been riding ran over me, burying me in the snow. After dusting myself off and clearing the scope, I got the job done. The mule would follow me any where, but I stopped too quick

I'll take those easy ones every once in awhile
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 16, 2019 •  [Post 4]

When my wife was young their Hamilton drove up to a saddle and made camp
The next morning her dad shot a buck and a bull with in minutes right from the tent.

My daughters was pulling into a spot she parks her truck to chase deer. A doe was in the parking spot. She killed it gutted , brought it home , hung it and pulled the hide off before I came home

We also killed our moose road hunting otherwise I’m in the woods
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 02 16, 2019 •  [Post 5]

In deer season we used to Drive around and stop at clear-cut units that were 5-6 years old. That was a good way to get a buck in the early morning. It did not work often enough, but was great when it did. I remember getting one buck I spotted while riding with my dad. I am sure there were some others, but I forget. I just know I have never got an elk that easy. I shot three (two from my tree stand and one with a rifle) that ran to where I could drive up, and with help, load them whole.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 02 16, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:I just know I have never got an elk that easy

Compare it to a moose , then aklelk are easy

Actuality my elk with some effort you could get to then with a horse, atv, snowmobile or truck, maybe because I’ve packed ot deer elk became accessible :shock:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby six » 02 16, 2019 •  [Post 7]

We were headed to town for showers mid week a few years ago in Colorado when an oilfield truck pulled in behind us. The driver started honking the horn. We pulled over to let him pass thinking there was an emergency. The driver pulled up along side us and we started talking. He asked if we were elk hunting. We told him we were and he told us he had just saw a nice bull less than a mile back on one of the oil well roads. We knew the road he was speaking of so we got out and headed back on foot. We proceeded to call the bull into 7 yards. My brother-in-law who had never seen an elk on the hoof before drew back and the arrow fell off the string. I watched my brother-in-law at full draw with an elk 20 feet away broadside. The elk finally caught our wind and was gone. We went back to almost the same spot that night and killed the bull.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Swede » 02 16, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Lefty wrote:Compare it to a moose , then aklelk are easy

I assume you are referring to the pack out. I have had some relatively easy pack outs. I suppose elk would be relatively easy when compared to a moose.
Swede