Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Real Mobility

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Real Mobility

Postby Swede » 02 18, 2019 •  [Post 1]

It is easy to go to different elk hunting locations on a daily basis. We can even change our location on the spur of the moment. but how often do we pack up camp and move everything associated with our hunt. For me, with several tree stands and maybe some game cameras, it is a full two day or even a three day chore. Even then it is like going to a new house where everything is disorganized until I have time to get around to doing more. Because of the size of the chore, I rarely pack up and move when the hunting is poor.
I suppose I would move more if I had some light weight tent, a cooler and two cardboard boxes of supplies, but it is not that easy.
Do you move and how easy is it to pack up and relocate?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Real Mobility

Postby Elkduds » 02 18, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Swede, this is one reason I switched from a wall tent to a Kodiak canvas tent. Easier and faster to pitch and strike. I always have gear enough to spike camp, rarely use it. Since I most often hunt new areas it pays to stay portable. For solo hunts in mild weather, this set up looks interesting:

trucktent.jpg
trucktent.jpg (12.65 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 18, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Good thoughts! I generally setup camp & homestead it. But there has been a time or two I've considered moving during middle of Sept. One thing I haven't done is hunt right out of camp, I generally will drive away from it mornings or evenings.

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby otcWill » 02 18, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I sleep in the bed of my truck about 50 days a year. I'm am literally always packed and ready to go. Start the truck and I'm gone. Things are always changing day to day and year to year. To be successful on mature bulls in heavily pressured OTC units I need to be ready and willing to scrap my current plans and seek greener pastures.
otcWill

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 18, 2019 •  [Post 5]

otcWill wrote:I sleep in the bed of my truck about 50 days a year. I'm am literally always packed and ready to go. Start the truck and I'm gone. Things are always changing day to day and year to year. To be successful on mature bulls in heavily pressured OTC units I need to be ready and willing to scrap my current plans and seek greener pastures.

I am the same way. My wife and I sleep in the pickup. The area we have been hunting has a couple of different access roads. I love to be able 2 just have everything with use and be where I want to be. This at times can come by the way of less comfort that is for sure. But I love being able to move when I want and no packing up. I have only elk hunted the unit we hunt now for 6 years and feel like the last 2 years I have gained a ton of knowledge of the area (still tons to learn as always) and I have learned a few areas the elk push into. I feel like I gained most of this knowledge by staying mobile. It cost me some days that I was hiking and doing little hunting but it has paid off.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 02 18, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Yikes I almost never spent two night in a row in the same place. Maybe I never have. :?:
Two of my campsite regions are too rough for for guys to get into with a RV or bumper pull trailer. so the leer cap and or a tent .
I was packing up and moving never hitting the same chunk of realestate two hikes in a row.
If tenting I can set up camp in 22 minutes and break down in 21 minutes, If sleeping in the Leer shell it is maybe hooking the trailer ,.. less than a minute and gone.
Next year will be different. were picking up a 14 toy hauler,.With a shower and heat. and will move if Im not on elk.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkstalker » 02 19, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Last year I spent 15 nights in my suburban, fold the back seat down, sleeping pad, start the truck up in the morning to warm up if it's cold. I run a small camp with a camp chef stove, table, and a couple of plastic totes with my gear and food. This last year I pulled a trailer with my ATV because the forest service roads were horrible and didn't want to beat up the suburban.

I've also got a pop up camper that I bring when I'm hunting an area with no ATV access, I actually prefer this setup if I'm going to stay put for a while, but for running and gunning or just staying a night or two I'll sleep in the suburban.
elkstalker