Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How do you practice for "the shot"?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How do you practice for "the shot"?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 19, 2019 •  [Post 1]

How do you folks practice for your archery elk hunts? That's all it's really about right........to prepare yourself to draw without thinking and place an arrow into the vitals of a big game animal...yes? I assume a bunch of you (like I do for the most part) practice with targets in the backyard, targets in the woods behind your property, on an indoor range, or on 3D shoots, and attempt to place several arrows in a tight group at 20, 30, 40, 50+ yards, unknown ranges?, etc., using sound shooting techniques. Honestly, I've only had to hold at full draw for more than a handful of seconds a few times for the animals I've shot. Do you practice drawing, floating the pin on the objective, and touching off the arrow within several seconds? Practice holding longer periods? Just curious. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: How do you practice for "the shot"?

Postby Lefty » 02 19, 2019 •  [Post 2]

My target is in the back yard and my bow hung in the shop

I use to use lots of mental visualization,..unfortunately that isnt the only way to practice :o
I have shared for years using technique kind of stolen from Ted Nugent Draw, anchor, aim, release. I used those two methods before I had shoulder surgery because it was too painful to shoot much at all.
Im quite flexible for a stiff old guy,.. but do practice shooting sitting kneeling and standing and twisting from comfortable positions. This year I plan to shoot from an elevated stand and a groundblind

... I do avoid shooting much on windy days.I tend to shoot mostly from 17 yards,.. saves on arrows,then walking back to known distances out to 55 yards

But the most fun is when my daughter comes over and we all shoot
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby otcWill » 02 19, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I do backyard, 3d, and shoot after workouts, but the single best practice IMO is shooting animals with your bow. The only thing that truly makes you "better" in the moment of truth is practice. The more hunting you do, the better you'll become. So, in short, I kill a bunch of things with my bow each year.
otcWill

Postby Swede » 02 19, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I practice in my yard at 30-40 yards 95% of the time. I want to draw easily and be able to hold at full draw. I do not have any fancy routines. I start in April or early May and shoot every other day. In the Fall and Winter I just exercise by drawing my bow regularly. I do not want to lose strength, then have to build it back again.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 19, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I like cold shot challenges. I always make special note of my first shot. I want that to be consistently perfect. As a trad bow shooter, I fall apart if I'm not sticking to a shot process religiously. A perfect shot involves following that process, and talking through the steps in my head as I go.

"Draw. 1, 2, 3" (counting my anchor points)

"transfer" (pulling shoulder blades down and in as tight as they'll go, while exhaling to 60-70% lung capacity)

"aim"

"expand" (pulling with my elbow and pushing one bowhand finger, till the fingernail slips off the tape on my riser and the shot is away)

*I also will occasionally test my max effective range with a pie plate, wearing a weighted pack, binoculars, etc. and from a field position. I want 20-20 arrows in that plate. (I know, a plate is really big. So are elk. And I shoot a recurve for goodness sake! On a good day right now, I'll be 20/20 at 17 yards, and 17/20 in the pie plate at 20 yards. I want to be comfortable on elk out to 25 yards, so there's some work to do.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby lamrith » 02 23, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I have done a combination of things.

Cold bore shots as mentioned by others I think are very important.

I also will have everything setup at the house (love having property) and then go on a few mile hike with heavy backpack around home. Last 1/4mi or so I will pick up the pace markedly to really get heart pumping. When I return home I go straight to the bow and take a few shots, only pausing long enough to put release on. Great simulation for setling down and shooting thru high pulse rate/fatigue.

Last one believe it or not is varmint/small game hunting. I have had damage around the house in the past from Starlings. SO when they are in town I use them as live prey practice, they are small twitchy buggers and a real challenge to hit with a bow. You will not get closer than 25yrds if you are lucky and they are smaller than your hand.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Elkhntr08 » 02 23, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Archery is easy. I’ve got targets scattered around the house, throw on the pack and walk around taking random shots. Have done the same thing on a 3D course a couple times, but they tend to look at you a little funny.
Elkhntr08

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 24, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Tried doing a cold shot after a set of burpees this evening... :shock: That didn't go how I planned! :lol:
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 24, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:Tried doing a cold shot after a set of burpees this evening... :shock: That didn't go how I planned! :lol:

That’s quality training right there ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ