Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Signs Of A Greenhorn

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Signs Of A Greenhorn

Postby Swede » 03 06, 2019 •  [Post 1]

What are some signs you have seen while out, that the fellow you just met elk hunting was a total greenhorn?

Here is one to get things started: I got to talk to a hunter on the road wearing fancy camo clothes. He had a necklace full of fancy cow calls. They were the wood based ones and there must have been 8 of them on the string. In addition he also had a Power Bugle. Everything he had looked like it could go into a Cabelas commercial.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Signs Of A Greenhorn

Postby Lefty » 03 06, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I dont meet many greenhorns; mostly because I don’t inhabit the same places greenhorns tend to show up.
Now I still consider myself somewhat Geen to elk but not green to hunting and elkcountry.

I’ve mentioned this family before . Nice people.given lots of tips on the area and how to hunt such a unique area.
Elk hunting was going to be their thing,
They had the money to purchase all the right equipment.
But it sure looked funny ,-all of them wearing matching Sitka Top to bottom.

Maybe to me the biggest glowing sign of many greenhorns lack the understanding of ethics or local ethics.
Enthusiasm to make a kill overtakes woodland courtesy

Simple example this year. We were in position at first light: a bull is working its way towards me, the bull is 80 yards in front of my daughter and 60 yards in front of her boyfriend whi is inline with me and the bull .
The boyfriends first elk encounter ; the bull is coming , we’re are all in position,
A young fellow literally bumps the boyfriend as he runs past , really bizarr
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 03 06, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I can name several but I’ll start first thing in the morning... it’s cold out right. So there he is wearing 5 layers of clothes, maybe even a blaze orange 1 piece suit from Pa deer season, and a pair of giant rubber felt pack boots. 300 yards up the trail he’s sitting on a rock, Ozark Trails pack laying on the ground, peeling off layers with steam billowing off of his sweat soaked hair.

Clients used to say “Is that all you are wearing today?” as they stood there looking like the Michelin tire man. 5 minutes later I’d be saying hurry up and jam that stuff in your pack and let’s roll before we both freeze. Greenhorns have a fear of being under dressed.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 03 06, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Indian Summer wrote:,,,,,,,,, Greenhorns have a fear of being under dressed.

I’ve found most greenhorns do not dress for a full days hunts for the conditions.
Starting with footwear

The only guys illhunt in late season cold weather goose hunts are construction workers
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 03 06, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Two words: Rocky boots. :lol:

War is hell... dress for it!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Elkhunttoo » 03 06, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Wife and I walked up on a couple of younger (19-24ish)guys a few years back. They were super friendly and told us they had just called a bull in but he had winded them.... there cologne was so so strong :D

I can laugh and make fun of rookies but it is also fun to have new hunters in camp that really want to hunt
Elkhunttoo

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 07, 2019 •  [Post 7]

When hunting out of a spike camp, x miles off the road, only to be really loud at camp thinking you are away from all the game. (this was me at one time and now I notice it more than ever)
Walking in and out on well established trails and not venturing off of them very far. Thinking miles on a trail will lead to elk.
Hunting hard all day.

Indian Summer wrote:I can name several but I’ll start first thing in the morning... it’s cold out right. So there he is wearing 5 layers of clothes, maybe even a blaze orange 1 piece suit from Pa deer season, and a pair of giant rubber felt pack boots. 300 yards up the trail he’s sitting on a rock, Ozark Trails pack laying on the ground, peeling off layers with steam billowing off of his sweat soaked hair.

Clients used to say “Is that all you are wearing today?” as they stood there looking like the Michelin tire man. 5 minutes later I’d be saying hurry up and jam that stuff in your pack and let’s roll before we both freeze. Greenhorns have a fear of being under dressed.

This is funny. Hits home for me considering I still get it wrong. I can set out with a plan where I need to be warm for the morning. Soon it will take a turn where I need to hustle to the ridge line and I am dripping in sweat. Only to slow way down and start hunting right after. This is a tricky one.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Swede » 03 07, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Dressing right for all day in a tree stand is just as difficult. You can be too warm going to the stand and within a half hour be cold. You can be cold in the morning and evening and hot in the afternoon. I have had to take off several layers of clothes during the day only to put them all back on in the evening and take them off again for the hike out. The only thing I can't do is put on clothes I never brought with me.
Hopefully some newbie will read these posts and avoid some mistakes many of us have made. I have made plenty of mistakes and still do, but I was blessed to have a father/mentor that was a logger- outdoorsman.

Hunting from the ridge tops and hiking the easy routes is a common one. Indian Summer has pointed this out on several occasions, but it is still worth mentioning.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 03 07, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Pheasant hunting late season in MN is a lesson in how to dress. After doing it a million times, I still can get it wrong. My general rule of thumb is if you are comfortable while you are getting your gun out and the dogs ready, you are overdressed. If you are cold, that is about perfect. But 16" of snow can add even more heat production. I know I could have hunted at 0 degrees in a tee shirt just before New Years Day this year due to all the snow!

How about making the same ...and I mean the EXACT same....call all the time. Same cadence, etc. Like a tape recorder. Sad part was.....it was a guide!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 03 07, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Tigger wrote:How about making the same ...and I mean the EXACT same....call all the time. Same cadence, etc. Like a tape recorder.

That is a good tip Tigger. I guess most of us have made that mistake. It took me a long time to slow down, look around and really start to see the critters. What I realized was by stopping and looking frequently, and giving out a cow sound every once in a while, critters were coming to me and not just slipping away. Too many hunters walk like they are going somewhere instead of hunting.
Swede

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 07, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:
Tigger wrote:How about making the same ...and I mean the EXACT same....call all the time. Same cadence, etc. Like a tape recorder.

That is a good tip Tigger. I guess most of us have made that mistake. It took me a long time to slow down, look around and really start to see the critters. What I realized was by stopping and looking frequently, and giving out a cow sound every once in a while, critters were coming to me and not just slipping away. Too many hunters walk like they are going somewhere instead of hunting.

two good ones here and ill add another. the calling location is a big one too. You can sound great, but if I know the terrain and it sounds like its near a trail ill have my doubts. Especially when it sounds like the above.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Swede » 03 07, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Poor set-ups cost me a ton of elk. Rookie Mistake. I had elk hang up on me for years and it took Elknut to put me wise to that. I don't care how good your calling is; if your set-up is wrong; you are going back to camp with just a memory of another close encounter. A good set-up is one where the elk exposes himself within your effective shooting range before he can look into your calling spot.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 03 07, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Swede wrote:Poor set-ups cost me a ton of elk. Rookie Mistake.,,,,,,,,Elknut to put me wise to that. ,,,,,,, A good set-up is one where the elk exposes himself within your effective shooting range before he can look into your calling spot.

I dont think that is just a Rookie mistake! Of the few guys Ive seen calling I dont think Ive seen a single calling location that the callers location was easily seen.
Paul told me the same thing While I was setting up in thicker cover quite often I just make sure it is thick or Im over a ridge or thee shooter is maybe a bit further 40-60 yards out
Lefty

Postby Swede » 03 11, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Here is another evidence of a green horn. Thankfully I have yet to see it in the woods. A caller Checking his I-phone to figure out what sound to make.
Swede

Postby jmez » 03 13, 2019 •  [Post 15]

The fit of their backpack.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez