Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Or Fishing?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Or Fishing?

Postby Swede » 03 12, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I just heard that my cousin, whom I often hunt with misses fishing in September, and will probably not go with me this year. I was thinking he can fish all year long, but there is a good run of salmon that show up in the Straits of Juan De Fuca in September. I suppose this is a stupid question to ask on an elk forum, but if you had to entirely give up elk hunting or all fishing, which would it be.
I have had a fishing license for years and have not gone out once. I do not even have a decent fishing pole anymore. I gave my last one to my son.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Hunting Or Fishing?

Postby ishy » 03 12, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I'm friends with a fishing guide that is usually out of the woods by September 11th to go fish. He is getting paid, but I just couldn't do it. Fishing is fun, but there aren't many things in life that can compare to chasing bugling bulls. While I'm able I will be chasing, when I'm not able I will probably still be in camp helping as best I could before I would pick fishing.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Indian Summer » 03 12, 2019 •  [Post 3]

There are other salmon runs! Plus you can fish when you can no longer hunt. Not to mention you can buy salmon filets but not elk filets. Go chase elk man!!! :roll:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 12, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Salmon, Steelhead, even Lakers, Kamloop, Muskeys, big water butts, pigasaurus Pike through a hole in the ice are quite the lure for us outdoorsman/women. When I was a wee pup, I was a fishing fool but once I got my first taste of an angry, punch drunk in love, mud caked, snot nosed, red eyed, I’m her to either “date” you or grind you into the ground bull wapiti, my mind was set for life. Anybody who shirks a September elk hunt for a cane pole and bobber just hasn’t really been there :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 03 13, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I was a fishing fool until I could march out with a rifle. The trapping bug got big and took over hunting too. Then moving west with more game seasons fishing is nearly off the radar. I also discovered trapping was much harder to do than any outdoor activity. And lack of good fur in Washington gave way to duck hunting place was always minutes away Trapping did take too much time from my wife and kids.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby LarryBud » 03 13, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Each in their own season. I love to fish ( walleye is my game of choice ).

A couple of weeks hunting in September? That's an easy choice. I may have come late to the elk game but I got in while I still had some tread on the tires and I won't miss a season from here on out.
LarryBud

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 03 14, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Living in Montana I always believed I could focus on two of three things successfully come fall. I would pick one area to ignore out of:
1. mule deer
2. elk
3. brown trout

and I chased the other two full bore. I'd still hunt mule deer in November if I hadn't filled the freezer, but it was always a meat hunt if I'd spent my dedicated time chasing elk and trout.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby pointysticks » 03 14, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I recently got reacquainted with fishing. I bought a salmon rod and a salt water rig and have been chasing surf perch at the beach since December. Relatively light line. And chest waders. It’s crazy good fun and a great read on to get away from the TV and yard work.

The fish are decent to eat as well.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby elkstalker » 03 15, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Tough choice, it's a good thing I don't have to make it :lol: I do love elk hunting, but honestly I also love deer and antelope hunting, duck and goose hunting, upland bird hunting, fly fishing, warm water fishing, and ice fishing. The mountains and outdoor living are a lifestyle for me, that's why I live where I do. But for the sake of the question Swede, I may very well give up elk hunting with the knowledge that I can still hunt other big game to get my mountain fix and fill the freezer.
elkstalker