Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bulls and Bears

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bulls and Bears

Postby Swede » 03 27, 2019 •  [Post 1]

My advise on the stock market is to just be careful, but this thread is not about the stock market.
Last September I was watching one bear after another come into an elk gut pile that remained very close to my tree stand. I was not ready to go home, so I went out to watch over the gut pile. I had no elk tag left and had no bear tag either. I took my bow only because I thought it might come in handy. Maybe a coyote would show itself. I really did not much care. I did not want a bear, but like I said I was not ready to go home either.
One morning I had several (7-8) different bears show up, then came a herd of elk. It was fun to just watch what happened. The herd came within 40-50 yards of the bear, then stopped. The herd wanted to continue to move down to the water hole, but that awful bear would not leave. The herd bull stayed back and barked for about 15 minutes, then the herd finally detoured around the bear and left. The bear did not move until it was fully ready in its own mind to leave.
I cow called from my stand to see if I could coax the elk down my way, but they would have nothing to do with it. The cow calls had no affect good or bad. I was too close to the bear. No amount of reassurance would bring them any closer.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Bulls and Bears

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 28, 2019 •  [Post 2]

https://www.foxnews.com/science/remarka ... goes-viral
Great photo once you get past the commercial!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics