Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

A bit about elk sounds!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

A bit about elk sounds!

Postby Lefty » 03 28, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Ive heard elk make some very strange sounds. Again Im comparing to goose calling. .
Sometimes bad or the wrong sound doesn't seem to matter to elk , or geese. Well to a point anyway.
Ive had the opportunity to mess with a few elk. My daughter messed up on a cow. I made the most freaky sounds tossing in some decent sounds too. And she barely card and seldom reacted. I made gurgles and "bear sounds and woffing and blared the loudest scratchy bugles I could muster and she kept feeding under 80 yards away.

I tried to mimic the extremely loud crys of a calf. Even at 25 feet it didnt care the sounds I was making towards it. I even guy by with a crazy amount of movement.

A a few years back I reported on the spike bull that roared at me. And all the sounds I made back at that bull, 22-45 yards away.

then this year during muzzleloader season some cows knew thy didnt like me 100 yards away ( after missing the shot :oops: ) I made screeching and squealing even turkey clucks . Maybe the loud sagebrush wasnt something to be afraid of. The tolerance was incredible,.. the reaction other than interest was little, what the heck? even a few barks and nervous grunts had little effect after some time
what kind of missteps or sounds have you gotten by with, or reactions from sounds .

Put in your two-bits
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: A bit about elk sounds!

Postby Swede » 03 28, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I don't know, but once I was trying to adjust a diaphragm to make a decent sound. It was no use as every sound out of the old call was horrible. It still brought in a large bull within about 20 feet. It snuck in from behind and saw me before I saw it.
I was in my stand listening to a breeding sequence about 80 yards away. Now that was a collection of some of the craziest sounds I have ever heard in the woods.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics