Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Unwritten Rules to Elk Camp

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Unwritten Rules to Elk Camp

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 10, 2019 •  [Post 1]

This very topic is in the new Bugle Magazine. PJ Delhomme offered seven really good “unwritten rules” of elk camp. I’d like to start our own version of this subject. We can really offer basic rules for any big game camp if you have a thought on the topic. Let’s get it rolling ;)

4D6577DD-3D00-4A0A-95A9-753B29FDEBCF.jpeg
4D6577DD-3D00-4A0A-95A9-753B29FDEBCF.jpeg (133.08 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: The Unwritten Rules to Elk Camp

Postby Elkduds » 04 10, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Its hunting, not Black Rock. I won't camp near you, you don't camp near me.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 04 10, 2019 •  [Post 3]

2. Friends don't let friends eat Stagg's Two Bean Chili.
3. Practical jokes and pranks are not an acceptable way to endear yourself to hunting companions.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby scubohuntr » 04 11, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Come to camp prepared to hunt hard. Even if you don't complain, if you are not able to get after it every day your campmates will feel bad, and probably sacrifice some of their hunting time to try to help you out. This is likely the only time they have to hunt, so it is really inconsiderate to do anything (avoidable) that cuts into their enjoyment of the hunt. Assume you are going to be hiking hard from before dawn to after dark. Uphill. It's possible you won't be working as hard as you expect, but it is more likely you will work harder than you ever imagined you could. If you're not up for it, hunt solo or play golf.

Come to camp prepared to do something other than hunting, if conditions require it. I saved up vacation one year to do a solo archery mule deer hunt. I got to the spot I had found on the topo map (long before Google Earth) and set up camp, ready to hit it early the next morning. About midnight, it started to rain. By morning, it was settled in to that steady half-inch-per-hour rain that sometimes hits the Great Plains. If you've ever hunted North Dakota's badlands, you know that hunting in the rain is strongly contraindicated. Ten steps in, each boot weighs more than you do. The hills are like climbing glass covered with half an inch of Vaseline. I had brought along a stack of paperbacks for just such an emergency, and lots of extra Maglite batteries. Of my five-day trip, I was stuck in the tent for four and a half. On another trip, my brothers and I spent an excessively windy day building an atl-atl and figuring out how to use it. These trips can get really bad if you don't have a plan B.

Know how the camp hunts. Does everyone hunt alone, only meeting up after dark at camp? Does everyone hunt from a tree stand? Do they walk out from a spike camp, or drive to trailheads? Do they split up into caller/shooter teams? What are the rules for who takes the shot?

Coordinate with your hunting companions. Assign hunting areas (and backups) ahead of time, and stay in your assigned area. If it doesn't seem like a good area, go ahead and move, but make sure you are not crossing a buddy's area or his backup area. After all, he may have had to move when the Flying Wallendas moved in on him after sunrise. If the agreement is to meet up at noon at the trailhead after the morning's hunt, that means noon. Not 2:30.

Don't show up with extra people. This shouldn't even need to be said, but your invitation to hunt with me does not come with a "plus one". After the season, you can bring up the possibility of inviting a buddy next year. But you had better have been the ultimate camp companion this year.

Potluck rules. Bring along a little more food than you can eat yourself, in serving sizes big enough for the whole camp, and have a plan to cook more than your share. Bring three times as much water as you expect to need, unless you are backpacking in. And unless you know your campmates really, really well, stick to safe foods. No pickled herring, chicken feet, or blood sausage. Ask about food allergies and mention any you may have. Be willing to eat outside your comfort zone. When you cook something for the camp, you expect everyone else to eat it and hope they like it, right? Same goes for everyone else. The guy that cooked worked hard on tonight's supper, the least you can do is eat what he cooked and find something nice to say about it. Bring lots and lots of trail snacks.

Be positive. Even after four days of seeing nothing at all, work at being enthusiastic. You don't need to be heeler-puppy crazy, but don't mope or sulk. Yeah, climbing that ridge is going to be hard work, but that's what you are here for. There may be elk up there. You know they're not where you hunted yesterday.

Have decent gear and know how to use it. If nothing else, have well-broken-in boots, plenty of good socks, and enough clothing. Thoroughly sight in your rifle or bow, and have enough ammo or arrows along. Bring a camp chair, eating utensils and your own TP.

Be realistic about your limitations. If you are not comfortable finding your way around, say so. Don't volunteer to hunt the dark timber over the ridge six miles away. Nobody is expecting you to be Bear Grylls. Nothing eats up hunting time like search and rescue.
scubohuntr

Postby Elkhntr08 » 04 11, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Pull your own weight, if you can’t cook, do the dishes or cut wood. Came close to leaving a “good” friend in Canada over this very thing. He missed breakfast one morning because I had to do the dishes he left the night before.
Wait your turn. If it’s my day to shoot, don’t try to out maneuver me. That will get you left.
Elkhntr08

Postby jmorr » 04 12, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Great responses guys.
Unless everyone is tagged out, hunt the entire agreed upon duration, no matter the conditions. I only get to do this once a year, and I dream about it the rest. Last year I was the only one to get out of the sleeping bag on the last day due to hot smoky winds and I was getting radio'd halfway through my hunt about packing up and leaving a day early. Not cool...
jmorr

Postby Lefty » 04 12, 2019 •  [Post 7]

My camp my rules!

My buddy Dave , my wife, granddaughter daughters and her boyfriend. My wife runs the camp when she is along otherwise dad rules.

Ive been a guest.
in a few camps. I was always listening for thing s that needed finishing. and never made a deal out of anything that needed to be done. Ive been offered to attend other camps when adjoining camps saw what I was doing.
Off to spent the night in the woods,.. I dont think Ill have servise there fellas,.. so good night
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 04 12, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I don’t care what you do in the evening. I’m usually the last one up because my obsessive mind has me staring at topo maps until I’m cross eyed. But in the morning everyone in camp needs to motivate each other to crawl out of the sleeping bags and get moving. To make it easier I stack the wood stove around 2 or 3 so the tent is nice and warm when it’s time to get dressed.

Never leave early! Don’t even mention leaving early! Don’t even think it!!!!

I love elk country and I’m never in a hurry to head east. There are new spots to explore. If your body is done with the hills the rivers are full of trout.

I never worry about guys sharing the work because I only line up solid partners. Tom and I could be brothers. I’m all over getting camp set up and he’s a wood splitting machine. All good in the chores department. Same with my other partner Jon. Partners are supposed to make elk hunting better and these guys certainly do.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I really don't have a lot of rules. I don't want you to interfere with my hunt unless you need help with something important, i.e. you have shot something. I take my own equipment and can live independently. Get back to camp fairly soon after dark. I start to worry if you don't get back soon after you normally do, or when you should arrive. Have fun.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 12, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Really liking this thread! Lotsa good thoughts guys, keep em coming.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ