Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What do you think I am I looking at?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What do you think I am I looking at?

Postby Fozziebear2000 » 04 10, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Last weekend, I scouted a secluded north slope that bottoms out at a lake, on the wet side in WA. In a mature second growth type forest, the brush and ground cover was thin under a thick forest canopy. For a half mile or so there were a lot of digging marks in the deep conifer needle duff covering the forest floor. There were also a fair amount of elk droppings of varying age; some firm, black and shiny (maybe a couple weeks old) and some soft/sticky/stinky but not slick/wet or mucousy (20-30 hrs old?). Trails were apparent but intermittent.

Might I be correct in thinking this is a feeding area? I saw one living mushroom cap about the size of a thumbnail. If so, do you think the elk were coming in each week or so to paw around for mushrooms?

If not feeding, was I looking at a travel zone, a bedding area, or, what?

What do you think of my aging questimates of the elk droppings I describe? The weather had been mild with only moderate rain, for a week or more before I was there.

Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fozziebear2000

Re: What do you think I am I looking at?

Postby Swede » 04 11, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Your aging estimates are good as far as I know. I am no expert on that. Years ago an old hunter explained to me that the only way to really know the age of deer and elk turds is to taste them. He said that as he spit out several and said, "these are about two hours old." RJ and Lefty are the real experts in this area.
For my purposes, if the feces is real fresh, (green and pasty) and that is what I look for, then I know the elk are close. In warm dry weather they dry out within a couple of hours. There is western Washington this time of year they can stay moist a long time, but they still change from greenish to slimy brown, to black in a day. If it is less fresh (Black and still pasty inside) they were through the area recently, but have most likely moved some. If the feces is dried up and lost color they are a history lesson about the elk that were once there. I suppose you saw some feces that looked like they have diarrhea. That comes from eating a lot for Spring grass.
Elk usually don't go under tall dark timber to feed, but I think you found an exception with the mushrooms. Normally there is no food under the thick timber. The weather is finally starting to warm up and it is a little warmer under the tree canopy, so mushrooms are popping up. Elk really love them. Deer and elk will stand under the timber during a rain storm and to keep cool on hot days. I like to still hunt a couple of hundred feet inside the timber near an fresh clear-cut during the day.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 04 11, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote:,,,,,,,, elk turds is to taste them. He said that as he spit out several and said, "these are about two hours old." RJ and Lefty are the real experts in this area. .

Works best with a mouthful.

Im not a connoisseur of fine elk crap, butt !!!

I generally categorize by maybe today. Maybe yesterday, This week? This month? this winter?
Ive never gotten real accurate. But if they are warm they are fresh :lol: Recent temperature, humidity ( dry side wet side) shaded, south slope but even th type of feed or watering.
When I first hunted the desert for antlope I though some dropping were from deer> Just not right at all for antelope too big for rabbit. Desert rodents that drop pellets have a natural system that withholds water in forming pellets.
Just observational. I believe desert elk (and deer)do something similar, dropping small drier pellets at times when not drinking larger amounts or eating dry grasses. And to a lesser extent at times wintering elk too.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby awbowhunter » 04 12, 2019 •  [Post 4]

In regards to Swedes post. I've got a buddy that used to guide. Says he liked to carry a bag of milk duds in his pocket...( See where this is going ). He would stop with clients and bend over a pile of elk poop. Come up with a hand full of milk duds and pop a mouthful...chew up swallow and say.....that's fresh......lol
Elk poop looks very much like a milk duds[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
awbowhunter

Postby awbowhunter » 04 12, 2019 •  [Post 5]

awbowhunter wrote:In regards to Swedes post. I've got a buddy that used to guide. Says he liked to carry a bag of milk duds in his pocket...( See where this is going ). He would stop with clients and bend over a pile of elk poop. Come up with a hand full of milk duds and pop a mouthful...chew up swallow and say.....that's fresh......lol
Elk poop looks very much like a milk duds :)

awbowhunter

Postby Fozziebear2000 » 04 14, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Gee thanks, fellars. I don’t think I will start eating the evidence. But my fingers can smell a little gamey after squeezing fresh sign, I notice that while eatin’ trail mix.

Fozziebear2000

Postby Lefty » 04 14, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Fozziebear2000 wrote:Gee thanks, fellars. I don’t think I will start eating the evidence. But my fingers can smell a little gamey after squeezing fresh sign,

I started using my boots,.. makes trail mix taste better
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fozziebear2000 » 04 14, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Roger that. Good advice :chuckle.

Fozziebear2000