Shot placement talk!

Postby Lefty » 04 15, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Shot placement talk!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 15, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I watched this and although this cat has obviously been successful, I’m not agreeing with some of what I see for shot placement.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Wyo67 » 04 16, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Same here. Of course, if I had the draw length and ability to get to the kinetic energy he's shooting, I might reconsider some of the shot angles and mechanical broadheads. Interesting broadhead he's shooting, but I still can't bring myself to change from a fixed cut on contact head.
Wyo67

Postby Lefty » 04 16, 2019 •  [Post 4]

While some of those shots I would feel comfortable taking with a rifle such as the bedded mulie and quartering to .
Nothing wrong with the discussion over where the arrow ended up and how the arrow did its job.

Im guessing the moose ( I saw a number of episodes of Eastman) the moose took off with the arrow sinking in back. I know that cutting the diaphragm and getting a piece of lung will kill most animals. But I would never take that shot with a rifle and certainly not with an arrow. Sort of like the femoral artery shot. I know of two hunters whose shot was bad, but the elk bleed out and died in sight. Not something I would count on, ever.
Like I mention in other threads my dad pounded the broadside in the crease shot.
I feel comfortable with a slight angle and straight frontal and with full knowledge that there could be a big mess at the gut. But now perfer the top of the heart with rifle and bow,

Im will not take the extreme quartering away shot.
Ive passed a number of times on possible arrow deflection shots , I just wont do it, I wont risk it. I passed on a 24" 4x4 starting at 22 yards,.. just lite cover in the arrows path. line of sight was clear.
This year I let down on a broadside raghorn big bodied bull at 30. When looking through my peep noticed branches. My guess most hunters would of released.

I have never taken ( passed ) a shot at the extreme quartering away, I wont take walking shots either.

Seems like a lot of televised whitetail hunters allow for a buck to duck from the sound of the bow.Some bucks duck, some dont.
I have two buddies that are extreme whitetail freaks. Im of their position on "ducking the arrow" :roll: They state they just wont take the shot and allow for a "ducking" buck. I m guessing both can still hit a 50 cent piece all day long at 40 yards. But neither shoot at whitetails over 30 yards. They do shoot fast arrows. And have been excellent archers.
Their claim is: " allowing for one situation, and having the other take place. loosing a book animal out of desperation is not an option. They have a lot invested in the big deer they are chasing and will not risk a marginal shots.

And yes what about that hy-breed broadhead?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 04 16, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I found the video really informative. He takes shots I'd never take, i.e. bedded mule deer: ugh.

However, I was struck by the reinforcement of the idea Slim raised last year, that the lungs go way further back than I thought. He caught liver, diaphram, and lung on a shot that I thought was straight guts... It makes for a compelling argument to shoot some of the top end mechanicals/hybrid heads, given the increased area I'd feel confident sticking an arrow. I'm not really confident in a small cut on contact broadhead in the back of the lungs personally. It's why I go up 1/3rd straight from the elbow when I shoot broadside.

As a trad shooter, I can't use a hybrid/mech head. But if I were slinging 500 grain arrows at 250-275 fps, you can bet I'd be tempted to stay far away from the shoulder, and rely on 2.5-3" gashes in both sides of the animal.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C