Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Three Weapon Big Game Hunters?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Three Weapon Big Game Hunters?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 19, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Just curious, who is able to get after em with 3 separate weapons? God willing and the creeks don’t rise, I’ll be hunting wapiti with a bow in ID, Wapiti with a smokepole in WA, and deer with rifle in WA, maybe ID. You cats?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Three Weapon Big Game Hunters?

Postby Swede » 04 19, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Ya! Elk with a bow, deer with a rifle and bears with my slingshot. I will use another weapon on the bears if they get under my tree stand.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkduds » 04 19, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Either ML or archery in Sept depending on the draw, rifle later.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 19, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:Ya! Elk with a bow, deer with a rifle and bears with my slingshot. I will use another weapon on the bears if they get under my tree stand.

Yaaaa, I know about how you have foiled bears under your tree stand before utilizing alternate methods :lol: I want hear more about your slingshot tactics on bears :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 04 19, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I have been known to carry a slingshot for grouse, varmints, and cattle. I have not had an opportunity on bears yet, but could have last season when they got busy around the gut pile left from my elk. Actually it was interesting that the bears came in one at a time, but in short succession. The bears seemed to know when it was their turn. The largest bear came in last. I guess he was letting the smaller ones expose themselves first. When he determined it was really safe he lumbered in and made a pig of himself.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhntr08 » 04 20, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Elk with a bow in September, then a rifle if I don’t get it done early. I’m liking Wyoming.
Deer with a bow and muzzleloader.
Elkhntr08

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 20, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Shotgun with cracker shells when they get in my hay stack! ;)
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 04 22, 2019 •  [Post 8]

elk with my bow, deer with a shotgun (its the law), and rifle for antelope (hopefully). That was what I did last year.
Tigger

Postby ishy » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Love living in Idaho for this, but usually in enough trouble after archery season that I don't spend much time for rifle. Then my wife who thinks I hunt to much lovingly bought me a muzzleloader opening another month for me to hunt...go figure.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 10]

ishy wrote:Love living in Idaho for this, but usually in enough trouble after archery season that I don't spend much time for rifle. Then my wife who thinks I hunt to much lovingly bought me a muzzleloader opening another month for me to hunt...go figure.

Sweet! What kind of ML did she get ya Bryan?
WapitiTalk1

Postby ishy » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 11]

CVA wolf
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby 2Hounds » 05 31, 2019 •  [Post 12]

I hunt with all 3 last year was the first time I used a muzzleloader to kill my elk. I have hunted deer muzzleloader a few times too.It was fun using a different weapon I do more bow hunting for elk but have taken a good number with my rifle too. In Idaho it’s kinda crazy to not use all weapons since it gives you 4 months to hunt if you need it and actually have that much time. I prefer to be done during archery though :lol:
2Hounds

Postby Lefty » 05 31, 2019 •  [Post 13]

My calendar plan
Archery elk in Septemeber
Shotgun on some small game however I may take a day or two to fish and hunt cranes
October -Jan is goose season with shotgun but also rifle deer and elk if we didnt take one earlier.
Rifle Antelope in October if we draw
November muzzle loader elk
Sept and October any weapon bear
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Game Planner Maps » 06 19, 2019 •  [Post 14]

No elk tag for me this year. But, I drew a colorado muzzle loader antelope tag, Utah rifle deer, and I'm always in for otc archery deer and a Javelina tag here in AZ.
The Ultimate Map Resource for the DIY Public Land Hunter
www.GAMEPLANNERMAPS.com
Whats Your Game Plan?
Game Planner Maps
Game Planner Maps

Postby robloft » 06 28, 2019 •  [Post 15]

I’ve haven’t been much for archery in the past ten years. It’s always so hot here in Mississippi but I think I’m gonna try and get back into it his year. Reading all the posts on the internet about elk hunting the rut has me wanting to try it. I have muzzle loader hunted but I prefer rifle hunting. I’ve only elk hunted with a rifle. I won’t be able to head out west this year but I am gonna try to have things lined up for next year but I’m not sure what state I’m gonna try for. I will be buying points for Montana and Wyoming. For those of you who do hunt with all three how do you allocate your practice time? Do you shoot all year or just get tuned back up before season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 28, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Rob, I would say that shooting proficiency (my opinion) for hunting season, as far as practice converting to effectiveness during various weapons/hunting seasons, probably goes like this. Archery, takes the most practice; Smoke pole second; and rifle third. But yes sir, year around practice with all will undoubtedly pay positive dividends in the grand scheme of the big picture. Besides, it soothes your soul knowing you can be effective with any weapon you deploy.
WapitiTalk1