Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New Members Intro Right Here

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New Members Intro Right Here

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 19, 2019 •  [Post 1]

It’s time to start a new, new member intro thread (they get buried as time rolls on). Please, post up a “howdy”, tell us a bit about your hunting interests, and welcome to our humble campfire ;). RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: New Members Intro Right Here

Postby Karl Blanchard » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Hi all. Life long central WA resident here. Some of you may already have to deal with me over on Huntwa but RJ gave me an invite to bug you guys too. I'm a die hard mule deer guy who loves backpack hunting, archery, and my fancy whiz bang rifles.
Karl Blanchard

First Name: Karl
Last Name: Blanchard

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Welcome Karl, glad you swung by our humble hunting campfire. Jump in on the threads whenever you feel the urge ;).
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Welcome to the forum Karl. I lived and worked for years in the Methow (Twisp/Winthrop, Wa) area. There was some great Mule deer hunting there back at that time. I suppose there is some excellent hunting still available there. Anyway join in the hunting conversations here.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Hi everyone, my name is Rory O'Connor, I was also issued one of the coveted invitations from RJ. I'm a Western Washington resident, and spend most of my time chasing animals around with a rifle. Used to hunt the Methow exclusively for Mule Deer, but backed away from it a few years ago when things started spiraling there. I've upped my Elk game over the last couple years and managed to call in 2 bulls, 2 years in a row. RJ was a big help in giving me some pointers that have lead to my success. I'll be back in Idaho this year for the Elk opener with an Elk, Mule Deer, and Wolf tag in my pocket, ready to let some lead fly. I've attached a few pictures of past successes.

201710159518591695001 (2).jpg
201710159518591695001 (2).jpg (234.11 KiB) Viewed 18261 times

2015 buck.jpg
2015 buck.jpg (200.08 KiB) Viewed 18261 times

2014 Buck.jpg
2014 Buck.jpg (327.72 KiB) Viewed 18261 times
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby 7mmfan » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 6]

And here's a couple bulls I've been lucky enough to be part of.

Dad bull 2014.jpg
Dad bull 2014.jpg (307.39 KiB) Viewed 18261 times

dad bull.jpg
dad bull.jpg (209.24 KiB) Viewed 18261 times

20170925_073656.jpg
20170925_073656.jpg (301.12 KiB) Viewed 18261 times
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 7]

There ya are! Welcome to the WT forum mister, glad to have you on board. Great intro and thanks for sharing some pics of your big game harvests!
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Welcome 7mmfan. I hunted the Methow country 1979-1986 when I worked for the Forest Service out of Twisp. I lived near Winthrop.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Thanks for the warm welcome. Swede, my Dad has been spending time in the Methow since the early 70's. My grandpa owned a lot in the Twin Lakes area. We still go to Big Twin every year for the trout opener, leaving Friday morning. We killed a lot of deer up Cub Creek and on Buck Mountain, including my first Washington buck. Sad to see what its become in recent years.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 10]

7mm: My wife and I have not been back in years. I have heard it has changed a lot. We lived next to the Twin Lakes Road about a mile farther east. We had the last home that is off to the left before you drop down through the curves. The house was green with a brown steel roof set in the pines back then. I am sure you have passed it. I actually miss the winters there. We had up to 6 feet of snow that covered fences and the temps dropped to -40F.
Swede

Postby Elkduds » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Welcome to the campfire! Any friend of RJ's is a...a suspected accomplice...a person of interest, at a minimum. Glad you both could join us, don't be shy.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 01, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Elkduds wrote:Welcome to the campfire! Any friend of RJ's is a...a suspected accomplice...a person of interest, at a minimum. Glad you both could join us, don't be shy.

Hey knock it off, 7mmfan happens to have one of best first names on the planet... He can't be all bad ;).
WapitiTalk1

Postby Tigger » 05 02, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Welcome Rory the New! We have now officially met our limit of Rory's. We are limited out.

Great pictures and I look forward to some good stories in the future!
Tigger

Postby Camelcluch » 05 03, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Checking in from Colorado. I am a self admitted gear junky. I live for September and all that is elk. I love hearing/learning new ideas from people all over and try to be positive about any situation. Thanks for having me!
Camelcluch

Postby 7mmfan » 05 03, 2019 •  [Post 15]

Tigger wrote:Welcome Rory the New! We have now officially met our limit of Rory's. We are limited out.

Great pictures and I look forward to some good stories in the future!

Man, if I knew there was a limit, I'd have joined long ago to secure my spot. Glad I squeaked in.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 03, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Welcome Camelcluch. Glad to have you on board!
WapitiTalk1

Postby Totoro » 05 03, 2019 •  [Post 17]

Hello folks, my name is Will hailing from NorCal, Peoples Republic of Cali.

Been chasing blacktail and muleys all over the states, now adding wapiti to the menu.

Look forward to all the help and guidance from all.

Thanks for making a seat at the campfire for me!
Totoro

Postby MtnOak » 05 05, 2019 •  [Post 18]

Hello gang, i'm Russ from western KY, I live in a whitetail heaven here in the bluegrass state and have put down more than I can count, but my heart is in the rocky mountains and has been since the early 90's after my first elk hunt, got married and had kids and didn't get to get back out there for over 20 years, after a close call a few years ago I told my wife I was going back to the mountains every year for the rest of my life that i'm able to walk on this earth and have had the time of my life elk hunting the last 3 years in Colorado and looking forward to many more.
MtnOak

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 05, 2019 •  [Post 19]

Totoro, MtnOak, welcome to our campfire. Glad you decided to swing by. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 05 05, 2019 •  [Post 20]

Welcome to the forum all of you that are new. Just remember if you don't get picked on a little, you must still be a guest. Everyone in the family gets picked on in due time.
Swede

Postby rd7fox » 05 11, 2019 •  [Post 21]

Looks like this is as good a place to start as anywhere to meet some new people and talk elk hunting. I retired and that allowed me to elk hunt the first 2 years. Killed an elk both years and figured it was time to take one in archery season. Spent the next 3 years trying to get a shot without success. haha This is not as easy as I thought.
Anyway, I have spent many days scouting and hunting in Wyoming units 10 and 12. If anyone has some basic information on unit 37 and would like to trade for my experience in 10 or 12, I would be glad to talk with you.

Thanks to any members that might be interested.
rd7fox

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 11, 2019 •  [Post 22]

rd7fox, welcome to our humble campfire. I know zilch about the cowboy state but others here do, I’m sure a few will chime in.
WapitiTalk1

Postby bawana » 05 28, 2019 •  [Post 23]

Newby from East Central Ohio, Heading for SE Idaho the month of September for archery elk. My son moved to Idaho Falls last spring, he'll be my feet on the ground over the summer. I'm semi retired, Ohio State Trooper for 25 years, been retired from that for 16 years, and doing crop insurance adjusting for the last twelve.
bawana

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 28, 2019 •  [Post 24]

Welcome bawana, glad to have you on board.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 05 28, 2019 •  [Post 25]

Welcome to all of you that are new to the WapitiTalk campfire. The folks here are good people and fun to listen to. Just watch out for RJ. He will stir the fire when you are directly downwind, then claim your seat.
Swede

Postby Zack » 05 31, 2019 •  [Post 26]

Hey everyone, my name is Zack. I just recently moved to CO from MO. I've only ever hunted whitetail, but over the last 6 months I've been reading everything I can to hopefully get me out this September for an archery hunt. My friend tipped me off about you guys, and told me what a great forum this is, and I'm looking forward to any insight and help I can get. Thanks a lot!
Zack

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 31, 2019 •  [Post 27]

Welcome to Wapiti Talk Zack, glad to have you on board!
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 05 31, 2019 •  [Post 28]

Welcome all ,.. but I believe we should have a few more introductions.
Im calling out the guys that dont live near the Rockies or Pacific ranges,

Im originally a southern Minnesota boy, who go captured by a hottie from SE Idaho. I also feel in love with the mountains an public lands. Gave up good fishing for all sorts of hunting!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Jtoplinesales » 06 03, 2019 •  [Post 29]

Hey im Jimbo from the sunshine state of Florida. I train race horses for a living but try to get outdoors every chance i can. Ive done a bunch of white tail hunting in Florida and Illinois. Me and a couple buddies try to get out west every other year, been to colorado a few times and montana. We will be back this September trying to get away from the hustle and grind and maybe hear a few elk bugle. I also have a passion for fishing, both flats and offshore. If anyone gets up into the north central Florida area hit me up.
Jtoplinesales

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Gladwell

Postby Swede » 06 03, 2019 •  [Post 30]

Zack and Jim, welcome to WapitiTalk. I think you have come to the right place to talk hunting, especially elk. We have a lot of other things to discuss, like how to make RJ's Big Red into a mud runner. Feel free to join right in.
Swede

Postby bradr3367 » 07 04, 2019 •  [Post 31]

Hey all, Brad here. 52 yr old. Newbie to western hunting, never been out west before. I'm from Iowa, with plenty of experience hunting whitetail, turkey, small game. My son and I are planning an OTC archery hunt in 2020 to either Colorado or Idaho. I've been scouring maps and internet trying to determine a good starting point. Our expectations are very low for our first few hunts. We decided that it would most likely be a 7-10 hiking/scouting trip, and if we see or hear an elk that will be a bonus. We determined that we would be very satisfied if we could shoot a cow elk to fill the freezer. Thanks for all the tips that I've learned thus far from this forum!
bradr3367

Postby Swede » 07 04, 2019 •  [Post 32]

Welcome to the forum bradr.
Choosing where to hunt is a big decision. Which is better a 10% success otc unit in Colorado, a 10% otc unit in Idaho or a 10% success otc unit in Montana? I think it all depends on factors beyond hunting success. I would get familiar with elk hunting in a decent unit where you would like to visit, and put in for some of the easier (3-5 draw point) quality units in places you would also like to hunt. That way after a few seasons you will be ready for some special hunt and just maybe have an elk or two down by then.
Elk hunting does not need to be grueling to be productive, but it is rarely easy.
Swede

Postby Firehunter03 » 07 04, 2019 •  [Post 33]

Hi there,
Daniel from Oklahoma new to the forum. I've been hunting out west in a few different states for several years now. I absolutely love chasing game with my archery equipment, but not opposed to use a gun. I'm a full-time fireman and run a taxidermy shop on my days off. I'll be coming up to Colorado unit 65 the last week of archery elk. I'm trying something new this year and renting out some llhamas to help out with the heavy lifting. Hopefully they will be carrying out a lot of meat. I've never hunted this unit but wanting to see some diffrent country. Anyways hope everyone is having a good summer and happy 4th of July. Hunting season will be here quick. Good luck all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Firehunter03

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 05, 2019 •  [Post 34]

Jimbo, Brad, Daniel.....a big WELCOME to our hunting campfire. Glad to have you on board guys ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 07 05, 2019 •  [Post 35]

Daniel it is good to have you in the WapitiTalk camp. As a fireman, I would think you could throw a 6X6 bull over your shoulders and do a fireman's carry to get it out. Just remember you do not have to give it CPR back in camp. Anyway join in the campfire discussions here, and post on the contests.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 07 05, 2019 •  [Post 36]

Welcome Newbies! Glad you are here. I appreciate the attitude that you do not have high expectations. Archery hunting the mighty wapiti is tough and any elk harvested is a trophy. Having said that, if you do your homework (much of that is taking an active role in this great forum), you need to sprinkle in some confidence. You will be armed with enough knowledge to make it happen. So expectations low...check. Confidence that you will succeed....check!
Tigger

Postby RobinHood » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 37]

Hello, my name is Robin. I was born and raise in Western Washington and remained there until we moved to Montana in 1997. I’m one of the old geezers on the forum; 75 last birthday. I got hooked on shooting a longbow in 1953 while living with my family in England, and have shot all manner of bows ever since. I started seriously elk hunting in about 1965 and have continued learning more about those sometimes very frustrating critters each year. I’m a lifetime member of the Washington State Bowhunters and even served as President during the early eighties. I’m also a member of the Montana State Bowhunters and encourage each of you to consider joining state organizations that help promote/protect hunting in the various states. I’ve been a member of the forum for awhile, but only recently started to really participate and enjoy all the great information and wonderful stories.
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra
RobinHood

Postby Swede » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 38]

Thanks for the great introduction Mr. Robin. We are pleased to have you at our campfire for discussion. I had not picked up a bow when you got started. Your perspective will add a lot to the chatter here. Sometimes I stir the fire a little and let the sparks fly. You can duck or fan it back my way. Enjoy.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 39]

Welcome aboard Robin, really glad to have you here! We’re similar but different...I spent the majority of my youth and young adult live in NW Montana and retired from the Army in Western Washington. I think you got the better deal ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby def90 » 07 09, 2019 •  [Post 40]

Hello! Chad from Boulder Co.. did some grouse and pheasant hunting when I was kid, didn't hunt at all through my 20's, 30's and my early 40's. Picked up archery a few years ago and am now finally getting in to big game. Hunted the Elk season here in Colorado last year as well as had a south east plains whitetail tag, was limited on time due to work and came up empty on both but it was a good learning opportunity. Taking what I learned last year and applying it and going to do what I can to get it done this year. :)
def90

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 09, 2019 •  [Post 41]

Welcome to the forum Chad, glad to have on board bud! RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby LarryBud » 07 11, 2019 •  [Post 42]

Having trouble changing my password. Can someone point me the right direction?

Thanks,

LB
LarryBud

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 12, 2019 •  [Post 43]

LarryBud wrote:Having trouble changing my password. Can someone point me the right direction?

Thanks,

LB

User control panel, profile, edit account settings.
WapitiTalk1

Postby DamOpr » 07 14, 2019 •  [Post 44]

Hey everyone! New to site. Been a life long hunter and fisherman, but passion is hunting! Have hunted whitetails since 86 and ducks and geese before that, but about 5-6 years ago I made the mistake of going out to CO and visiting an old high school buddy in the spring, and he wanted me to come out and elk hunt! BIG mistake!! LOL. Now I can't get enough of it!! It seems like 24-7 that's all I want to do! Killed my first/only bull my 3rd season/trip out, completely solo! Even the pack out!! Whew! A new respect for the animal. Anyway, just wanted to say Hey to all fellow hunters, and I'm always looking for the next adventure. So, IF you need a hunting buddy gimme a shout and maybe we can hook up if all lines up right!...... Thanks for the add!!
DamOpr

Postby Swede » 07 14, 2019 •  [Post 45]

Welcome to the forum Damopr. I have known a few dam operators. They seemed to have a good job and kept the electricity in the lines. Anyway join in the conversations here or invent your own.
Swede

Postby Elk97 » 08 08, 2019 •  [Post 46]

Hi, looks like a great forum. I'm 68, retired, live in NW Washington state and hunt in MT where my sons live. Used to hunt in the Methow Valley in north central WA back in the 70's but quit because it was too crowded after the new highway opened up. Hah! Lived in Okanogan county until the mid eighties then moved to the Wet side. I've been hunting elk in MT for 5-6 years, started rifle hunting (no luck) then started bow hunting two seasons ago. Got a 5X5 last year that my son and I had been following and he called it into me. Shoot my bow year round and really enjoy it even though I don't think I'll ever be a great shot. Wish I'd started 40 years ago but better late than never. I shoot a Mathews No Cam HTR at 60lbs and Axis 5mm with QAD Exodus broadheads, app. 450 gr. I practice my bugling quite a bit year round with the help of Elknut's app. Really excited for this Sept, hope to be able to call in a bull for my son. It would be his first archery elk.
Do a lot of salt water fishing, and crabbing and prawning and I also do a lot of shotgun shooting, mostly five stand, some trap and sporting clays.
Elk97

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 09, 2019 •  [Post 47]

Welcome to our humble hunting campfire Elk97, glad to have you on board mister!
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swobs » 08 13, 2019 •  [Post 48]

Hi All, brand new member and first timer diy backpack otc southern CO. opening week 2019. Last kid off to college, fall sports are all done. I've decided to mourn by spending time alone in Colorado mountains. I've learned a lot from this site already. Thank you all. One question I have is where to set up camp? High? Low? Near water....seems like smart idea. How close to the actual area I plan to hunt? Thanks again, this is one of the better forums I've ever run across.
Swobs

Postby Tigger » 08 14, 2019 •  [Post 49]

Welcome Swobs! Setting up camp near water is always a good idea. I just hate it when you have a long walk to the shower house.....wait....! Just kidding. Yes, set up near water and do NOT set up too close to where you think the elk may be. be at least 1 ridge and preferably 2 ridges from the elk. Thermals sink at night so do not set up over the elk you intend to hunt in the morning. The last consideration I would have is to minimize your effort that it takes to get into elk the next day. You need to define that your own self however.

Indian Summer makes a great point (maybe he will chime in) about backpack hunting. If you do not know the elk are there, you are taking a chance that may cost you days. If the elk are there, it makes great sense. If not, it is a camping trip that takes valuable time away from your hunting trip.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 08 15, 2019 •  [Post 50]

Again, welcome Swobs.
Tigger wrote:Indian Summer makes a great point
When was that?

Just kidding. I.S. has a lot of good points. I may or may not set up near water. Having clean water near is often an asset, but it may come with a price. Water in the low areas is often where it is colder at night. Adjacent meadows may be wet and have a lot of insects. Often it is better to carry water a ways and camp on a bench. I would avoid being on a main game trail. If you are just wandering around looking and calling for an elk, I suppose one spot may be as good as another, but I like to be a few hundred yards down slope from where I anticipate encountering elk. They can still fool you and show up while you are in your sleeping bag.
Swede

Postby Mathew721 » 08 20, 2019 •  [Post 51]

Hi all I’m a 42 year old from Iowa lifelong resident, I have been bow hunting for 15 years or more and started up elk hunting 5-6 years ago. I started off by cow hunting in WY and fell in love when I seen first hand a rut fest going on in a draw unit and I did find the herd bull with cows amazing!!! The last 2 years I have been hunting in Montana with a bull tag. I’ve upped my game with calling and understanding elk vocalizations. Super excited for this season and what’s to come!
Mathew721

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 20, 2019 •  [Post 52]

Welcome to the campfire Mathew721. Glad to have you in board mister.
WapitiTalk1

Postby jrfinley2 » 08 30, 2019 •  [Post 53]

Hello, I'm from SE Ohio and am planning for an Elk hunt in the fall of 2021 with my son. Trying to do all the research we can. Thanks for the add.
jrfinley2

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 30, 2019 •  [Post 54]

Welcome to the forum JR, glad to have you join our campfire.
WapitiTalk1

Postby mertzga » 09 09, 2019 •  [Post 55]

Headed to Idaho in less than 72 hours! Been gleaning wisdom from the forum awhile just getting to intro. I am 41 years old. I hail from Northeast Wisconsin. Third trip west, first to Idaho. Picked a spot on the OnX, bought a tag and wolf tag, we will see what happens. I have two buddies coming to call and pack. If we get that fortunate. Gonna do my best version of the slow play. Praying for safe, successful adventure. Success is the experience. Good fortune and safe travels to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mertzga

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 09, 2019 •  [Post 56]

Welcome to the forum mertzga; best of luck in the spud state!
WapitiTalk1

New member from Alabama

Postby BAArcher » 09 17, 2019 •  [Post 57]

I’m a dedicated bowhunter that is widening his horizons and adding Elk to the list of game to chase. My nephew lives in Montana and has been trying to get me out there for years,.... it’s now time! I am retired military and ready to tackle this adventure.i hope to gain as much knowledge from you experienced elk hunters over the next few months... thanks in advance..

Bruce Archer
BAArcher

Postby Swede » 09 18, 2019 •  [Post 58]

Welcome to the forum Bruce. Most of the crew is out hunting now. I have been paying insufficient attention and missed your post. Anyway it is great to have you here. Feel free to post anytime. With WapitiTalk1 and Indian Summer out you have a good opportunity to ask a question and get the right answer. :lol:
Swede

Postby Tigger » 09 23, 2019 •  [Post 59]

Very fitting name for a bowhunter Bruce! Welcome to the forum.
Tigger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 23, 2019 •  [Post 60]

Yes sir! A big wELKome to all you new members.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Mosdefjeff » 10 11, 2019 •  [Post 61]

Hello all.

Quick intro. Colorado native and avid outdoor enthusiast. Father and husband. From the field to the hills, I love it all. Hoping to glean some quality info from my fellow hunters/huntresses to increase my success in the field
Mosdefjeff

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 11, 2019 •  [Post 62]

Welcome to our elk hunting campfire Jeff. Glad to have you on board!
WapitiTalk1

Postby Tigger » 10 11, 2019 •  [Post 63]

Welcome Jeff! You are looking for quality info? Yep, we got that! Not much of it pertains to elk hunting, but if you want to know the best way to bolt Texas Longhorns to the hood of a classic car or possibly install wood-grain panel stickers to that classic car, this is your place! Just kidding, we have never done that. Yet. (kind of an inside joke, but if you frog around the site, you will find what I am referring to!).

In all seriousness, throw out some elk hunting questions/scenarios and we will be happy to chime in with our opinions. Remember that there are many ways to hunt elk, so what I have found value in is learning as much as you can from a lot of different people and mixing that all up to fit how you want to hunt elk. Once in awhile, even our pet tree stand expert (nut) chimes in with some good advice. Although that is rare!
Tigger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 11, 2019 •  [Post 64]

w(ELK)ome
>>>---WW---->