Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Passing IT on...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Passing IT on...

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 20, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Besides interactions on hunting forums (like our best in the business platform WapitiTalk :)..) do you share your learned elk hunting knowledge (obtained from years of being in the mix experience) freely with younger/newer hunters? Are you reluctant to do so for any reason? Just asking.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Passing IT on...

Postby Swede » 04 20, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I am willing to share anything I know except for my tree stand locations. They are not super secret, put I like the idea of being able to go back and use them without finding someone else is there ahead of me.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 20, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Sound wisdom sir.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkduds » 04 20, 2019 •  [Post 4]

It is far more fulfilling to me to help a youngster or newb succeed, than for me to notch another tag :!: If I had to stop hunting and just help greenhorns, I could live w that. The # of kids who grow up hunting is shrinking fast. If only a few calves reach adulthood, that elk herd is doomed. If there are too few new hunters to carry the torch, the tradition and adventure of elk hunting will be lost.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Indian Summer » 04 21, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I love sharing knowledge on locating elk and tactics to hunt them. I enjoy teaching in general to those who are interested.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 04 21, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I certainly understand and agree with where Elkduds and I.S. are on this.
You just never know how someone will take hunting advise and use it to their benefit. Stringunner who shows up on this forum some is a perfect example. One day I met him near my camp. He introduced himself and asked if I was John Erickson. I told him that is what my mom called me. To make a long story short, he said he had read the tree stand book and found it very helpful. What has amazed me is that he is having more success in the unit we were hunting than I was. I attribute it to the fact that now he is doing more scouting during the summer than I am able to do. He also has his cameras out and checks them frequently. A little information and dedication to the hunt has paid him very well.
I know I did not get Stringunner started hunting, but gave him a boost at a good time. We can all do that if we want to help.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 04 22, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I have given a few seminars on elk hunting and hunting out west in general. I just enjoy talking elk!
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Tigger wrote:I have given a few seminars on elk hunting and hunting out west in general. I just enjoy talking elk!

Hunting elk is a lengthy subject. But just hunting out west in the big mountains is something I could talk about for quite awhile. Camping in the hills, finding water, navigating wild country efficiently, all the little tricks learned to make it a joy to be up there. It’s not for everyone and if you don’t have your ducks in a row it can be a tough journey through paradise.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ishy » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Been my most rewarding days in the woods. Well worth the effort.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby lilshootergirl » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 10]

I don't know everything, but invited a young man to hunt with me in 2020, nice kid, 24 yrs old that's never hunted
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby Roosiebull » 04 25, 2019 •  [Post 11]

I don't mind sharing any knowledge I have with anyone, new or not. I will give a lot more detail to newer hunters, and even share some general areas with them, knowing how steep of a learning curve it can be. I also share the advice of respecting other hunters and why in those conversations.

I don't have anything I consider a secret. I have a few nooks and crannies I hunt that I won't share, because the only reason they are good spots is the lack of pressure. there isn't much that is a secret about elk hunting that I know, I have got by being relentless, and staying optimistic. the techniques that probably help me these days aren't really secrets, just things we learn to feel out over the years.... when to be aggressive, how aggressive to be, and when to back out.... the things you have to learn on your own.

one thing I love about rifle deer hunting is the ability to teach folks, and see them have success, and explain my ideas while on scene.... that's harder to do chasing elk with archery gear, because everything seems to be on scene improvise, usually with no time to explain what we are doing right now.

I have seen a lot of "first" animals harvested, and "first" fish caught. those are some cool memories that stick with me like my "firsts"

I have been burned in the past being too detailed with people on areas, but I have also learned to feel those situations out and have a feel for how much info I can give to certain folks. I haven't let that spoil my attitude of helping people out... I have been helped a lot (this trad archery experience is a good example) it's only fair for me to pass on what I know to those who don't.... we need to keep this fire burning with as many people as we can.

I love helping people out.

my boss recently had a medical issue, so I have not been diving for a couple months, so I have been charter fishing while my boss is healing up, which is what I grew up doing. I forgot how satisfying it is having a different boat load of fishermen on the boat each day, and teaching them all how to fish during the trip, and seeing people catch a bunch of fish. I don't think I had the appreciation for that aspect when I was younger, but sure been enjoying that.... pretty cool way to spend your day, and an even cooler way to make money.
Roosiebull