Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Shoot or No Shot 2019 - Episode #4

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shoot or No Shot 2019 - Episode #4

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 22, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Hunt Pressure Status: Minimal
Hunt: Partner Hunt
Tag: Archery; 3 PT or better bull

Allrighty then! You and your buddy are having an epic year. Your buddy dropped a really nice 5 point on the second day of the season and it’s currently down at the wild game processor chilling till your hunt is over. On this fine day in the elk woods, you’re working up a large NE facing side hill that contains all the classic elk habitat (benches, plenty of water including several seeps with wallows, and some known bedding areas).. and..... you’re pretty sure it contains elk. As you head up the sidehill, wind in your snouts, before daylight….. you hear a big boy singing his song and it sounds like he’s moving from right to left. Up, up the hillside you go like a couple of roosters with an itch keeping track of the singer best you can from his vocalization. Yep, sounds like he’s moving from feed to bed somewhere higher on the hill. Move quickly, listen, move quickly, listen…… and BAM… you hear Bullwinkle coming from right to left, seemingly coming towards you and the edge of the bench you just set up on…
OK, back to the moment in the image. From right to left, here come the gals….. one, two, three, five cows moving with a purpose across the semi open bench and “SCREAMMMMM” comes from behind them and you see the battle worn antlers coming behind the cows. Shooter is set up and draws his bow as soon as the bull clears the brush and steps into the opening (shooter is 35 yards from the bull). Caller is back down the hill a bit, probably 50 yards from where the bull stands now. The cows and the bull are unaware of the hunters up to this point. And………… DANG IT, your buddy, the caller blasts out a loud nervous bark/grunt, stopping the bull in his tracks! Your buddy shoulda waited a bit longer to toot his horn but oh well, it is what it is and as the shooter in this situation….. your “shoot or no shot” moment is at hand. Shoot or no shot here?
Bigboy1  Mark Up.jpg

If you're shooting, save the picture to your desktop and open in MS Paint, then place a spot, X, or whatever on the critter before you save it back to a jpg or png and add the marked up pic with your post.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Shoot or No Shot 2019 - Episode #4

Postby Swede » 04 22, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Since I am at full draw, I will shoot. It would take too long to draw, sight the bow on the bull and then shoot, but it hardly makes a difference if I let down slowly or if I squeeze the trigger. As Elvis sang "it's now or never my elk won't wait."

Bigboy1%20%20Mark%20Up.jpg
Bigboy1%20%20Mark%20Up.jpg (98.1 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 04 22, 2019 •  [Post 3]

If I’m looking correctly , with archery I’m waiting for a better shot

With a rifle: 8 inches forward and 3 down from Swedes if I’m not waiting for a better rifle shot tooth
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 4]

WapitiTalk1 must have stumped folks on this on as only two of us has ventured an opinion. Of coarse Lefty is all wrong. :D He does not realize that the bull would have already seen him if he was not against a bush or something. That disguise along with the bull having his focus on the caller will give you tat split second to get an arrow into him.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:,,,,, Of coarse Lefty is all wrong. :D ,,,,.
Of course Swede is taking the shot, he is up in a tree in the callers position :D Hes not waiting on the shooter!!!

Let that bull finish peeing,....That bull is so in lust his tongue is hanging out. He may see us but doesn't care. You're not a hot cow,...., He is licking his lips and turning towards the ladies with plans of real action behind the trees and bushes.
Lefty

Postby lilshootergirl » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Shoot 3" below his dark hair below his throat! Corey Jacobson did a nice shot with his bow, rifle the same
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 7]

lilshootergirl wrote:Shoot 3" below his dark hair below his throat! Corey Jacobson did a nice shot with his bow, rifle the same

LSG, do a pic with a spot for me so I can see what you’re talking about.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 8]

There's no shot there. 35 yards is way too far for a frontal shot, which is what the shooter would have in that situation. As shooter, I'm waiting quietly. He's got cows ahead... the wind is fine all around... A shot will develop.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Lefty » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:There's no shot there. 35 yards is way too far for a frontal shot, which is what the shooter would have in that situation. As shooter, I'm waiting quietly. He's got cows ahead... the wind is fine all around... A shot will develop.

Well there is but I think you need to be close and shooting a faster and heavy arrow than what Im shooting.

But I completely agree A shot will develop.
Lefty

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Something to remember here, and I'm drawing from my own experience. Elk are straight up suckers for that nervous grunt!

I remember spooking a cow, at 10 yards, and after she ran to 60, calling her back to 40 with that popping grunt. She couldn't see the elk, but she knew it HAD to be there. If the first one doesn't stop them in the right spot, and you don't let them see you, often they'll lock up a second or third time.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Roosiebull » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 11]

i'm not shooting (way too far with my recurve :lol: )

even with my compound, that's getting close to the max range I like to shoot, and don't like the angle (me shooting one in the shoulder last year will be fresh in my mind) he is a stud, I know adrenaline will be flowing, and it's not the "layup" shot i'm looking for
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Roosie, it is good to read your nonsense again. Of coarse your recurve can handle 35 yards. You just need to practice more. :D
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Swede wrote:Roosie, it is good to read your nonsense again. Of coarse your recurve can handle 35 yards. You just need to practice more. :D

I have never been good at showcasing the effective range of ANY weapon :D
Roosiebull