Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Most Common Mistake

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Most Common Mistake

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 1]

What do you believe is the most common mistake made by rifle hunters and also the most common one made by bow hunters? Maybe they are the same mistake.

I think moving too fast is the biggest mistake rifle hunters make.
I think moving and being caught by the elk is the biggest mistake bow hunters make. I have moved at the wrong time even high up in a tree and been busted. It is awful as far as ruining your chances for that elk.
For you guys that have watched Lefty, you can probably name several huge mistakes, but please limit it to only a few. After all Lefty is sensitive. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Most Common Mistake

Postby Indian Summer » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 2]

That’s going to depend on how and where you hunt. Any easy answer for me when it comes to hunting the mountains: People want the elk to come to them. They don’t want to drop waaaaay down to the benches where elk hang out. They see all the sign up top and think that’s the place to kill elk.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby lilshootergirl » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Not paying attention to wind, it's seems it switches so fast, also I tend to move to fast going to a spot. I have spooked a few deer doing just that! Also I tend not to glass a area before I head to a spot, bet that's my biggest, I bet there bedded down, so I feel I'm over looking those 1st 200 yards or less!
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby 7mmfan » 04 30, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I pretty much only rifle hunt anymore, and for me the biggest mistake I made consistently was moving to fast and not really looking at what was going on around me. I realized this one day when I walked past a big buck bedded down right next to the trail I was on. I was 40 yards past him when I realized I had left my binos on a stump back a couple hundred yards and turned around to go get them. I noticed the buck on my way back.

One that doesn't get talked about much, but has bitten me enough to make a rule is when approaching a glassing spot, don't just pull your binos up and look at the opposite ridge, or ground that is 300, 400 yards out. Take a second to look at the ground in your immediate vicinity. Many many times I've been looking through my binos at ground I could not possibly shoot at and had deer or elk bail from inside 50 yards, I just never looked at the ground that close.

Other mistakes:

- Skylining, see it all the time.
- When working around a hill, watching the fall line for animals, not just the ground that is revealing itself out there a couple hundred yards away.
- Not hunting where the animals are. As Indian Summer said, no one WANTS to lose 2000-' of elevation with the prospect of packing an animal back up that 2000', but what else are you going to do with the next 3 days? You could spend it packing meat, or you could spend it looking for elk somewhere else.
- Spending to much time behind the glass when animals aren't out. If the goal is to find an animal, and they aren't moving, go find them. It's called hunting, not glassing.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 30, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Good stuff above, agree with all.

I will add that not learning a particular group of elks patterns can be a huge negative. Ya, I understand that things change sometimes but for the most part IME, a group of elk will pretty much bed and feed in the same "general" areas and given that, their travel patterns will be pretty static from day to day. Yup, they'll change it up to keep you on your toes, or, if hit hard/busted a time or two. For the most part, when I head into the elk woods... I have a pretty good notion of when and where the elk will be at a particular time that day and do my best to get close to them for a meaningful conversation ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 04 30, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Boss; Swedes bulling me :lol:

Maybe just to add to the list. But there are a lot of lazy hunters out their, "and old, fat and ready for a nap doesn't necessary mean lazy." Too many guys love their trucks or ATV's too much. After taking a week off of work,.. spending hundred or thousands of dollars and some are still not physically or mentally prepared. Some times just a bit more effort is all it takes:

7mm mentioned skylining While blowing a bugle at dusk or dawn standing on an open ridge makes a better picture it doesn't do any good calling to elk,.. The bugle gets their attention , and there is some guy with a bugle on the ridge.
Many hunters lack simple stealth when needed or required. Visiting or caring on a conversation inside elk country :?: My hearing isnt that great,.. but Ive heard others all to often, announcing their arrival.

The first bull I bugle in was in the corner of an ATV trail and foot trail, off the meadow that elk had used all night. I snuck in to that calling location. I didn't drive my ATV to it. Others that hunted the area didnt consider those elk we just inside the thick stuff.
Entering an area with elk and letting elk know you are there. :o

Im certainly no expert on elk. But rifle elk hunters seem to like places with a good view, not necessarily where the elk are

Relying on the wind. I hunt as clean as practical. I do not "write off elk the elk close to the trail, or camp by announcing myself or stinking the place up
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkstalker » 05 02, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I agree moving to fast and being unaware of your surroundings is a huge mistake that I and many others have commonly made. I have a good friend that we nick named "the ghost" because when he is hunting he is totally silent. He moves slower than most of us, but when he has encounters with elk he usually gets within range and has lots of opportunities!
elkstalker

Postby Roosiebull » 05 03, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Good stuff folks! Some good ones mentioned.

I will say one that applies to both is the scouting efforts.... lots of people scout the popular areas, and a little peak into the future will show you aren’t going to have that spot to yourself, and the patterns you figured out are going to change immediately... day 2 you are back to scratch and behind the power curve.

Another one is missing! Probably the most common mistake made by most :mrgreen:
Roosiebull

Postby Fozziebear2000 » 05 03, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Not being able to do nothing while a shot opportunity develops. Sometimes all the effort has finally paid off and it’s best to sit tight and let good things happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fozziebear2000

Postby Camelcluch » 05 04, 2019 •  [Post 10]

For me it’s moving too soon and over thinking. Both go hand and hand as I over think it causes me to move. The result usually is me moving out of the best set up and into a missed opportunity. I need to control my ADD and let things happen.
Camelcluch

Postby MtnOak » 05 05, 2019 •  [Post 11]

I stomped right into a bedding area last year, caught me off guard so bad I nearly drew my pistol bowhunting, didn't get to see how many elk were in that group it was so thick but i'll say it sounded like a loaded Mack truck crashing across the mountain when they moved.

I would like to add being too confident and rushing the shot knocked me out of what I thought was gonna be an easy kill last year, I think I had a big grin on my face drawing my bow back that is until I watched my arrow wiff right over her back...……...smh I still can't believe it.
MtnOak

Postby Swede » 05 05, 2019 •  [Post 12]

That too is elk hunting MtnOak. :D Welcome to the forum.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics