Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Surviving a Backcountry Lightning Storm....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Surviving a Backcountry Lightning Storm....

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I’ve read that lightning causes 55 to 60 deaths and 400 injuries each year in the United States, and, I'm certain that not all close calls and injuries are reported. I have a hunting buddy that is a summer/fall storm magnet! I'm not kidding, it seems like each time I hunt with him we get hit with a really bad storm that makes me wonder if he is a human lightning rod, jinxed, or what. OK, the basic tips and tricks to not get BBQ'ed during a lightning storm in the woods are generally considered as follows:

1. Get off the ridges and hilltops if at all possible.
2. Avoid standing near the tallest trees.
3. Avoid open ground.
4. Lie on the ground (preferably in a low area, i.e., a depression) for the best lightning protections.
5. Continue following the above measures for at least 30 minutes after the storm has passed.

Additionally, I've read that something in the neighborhood of 24,000 lightning strike fires are sparked each year. That brings a whole new angle to being caught back in the elk woods during a bad late summer/fall storm. Does one follow all the procedures listed above during a popcorn fart dry summer lightning storm, or, is it time to get the boots a moving immediately and get the heck out of there?

I have had more than my fair share of backcountry storm stories but would like to hear some of yours. Please, share a bad storm experience you had in the elk woods and how you made it through without becoming something to put on a hamburger bun.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Surviving a Backcountry Lightning Storm....

Postby Lefty » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I enjoy watching a good lightning storm. One of the closest things to a real date that I took my not yet wife to go watch in Minnesota 30years back was a fantastic storm. .
I also have a very health dose of respect. ,.. maybe more like :o a fear. I had lightning strike the power lines directly above us once beaver trapping. And had lightning hit a tree 25 yards in front of up,. even had shrads of bark hit us from the "explosion .
A few years back I Climbed mt Borah . Reached the top and could see a storm coming,.Part of the group that I became a part of , At the top I told the guide I was outa there,.. He asked if I was sure,.. I spent 7 hours climbing and three minutes at the top.
I was sure.
We headed off the ridge,. snow sleet and lightning. The I got stuck in a crevice on Chicken-out-Ridge.

A buddy was pouring concrete, lighting strike hit the pump truck boom, 7 went to the hospital , One guy was hospitalized for anther day.

On one elk hunt the winds had picked up. I had set up the Springbar, and the tent in the pic. . Sunday morning I had plans to drive to town for church but woke with the last migraine headache Ive ever had. I texted my wife where I was camped,.. Mid afternoon a thunderstorm rolled in, the winds backed off. And I slept comfortably until the next morning Lightning all over and a bit of rain. but I slept. The tent was in the lowest area around , maybe 30 feet lower than where th pic was taken. Not ideal, but I was so sick

I really do quite enjoy a good thunderstorm

2011-09-23 09-11-05.JPG
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I have been out in lightning storms many times. Once I had been working alone all night on a small wildfire. Just after daybreak I sat down as I heard the thunder in the distance. It kept getting closer and closer. I sat and waited and as it approached I could see the flashes of lightning. Soon a bolt of lightning hit the ground about 100 yards in front of me. The next strike was behind where the storm sell had passed over.
On another occasion I was sitting in my tree stand as the lightning storm approached. I watched it and determined it would pass by a couple of hundred yards to the north at the closest point. In my mind I sat their singing out "Til the Storm Passes By." It is a great hymn of faith. Verse 1 is as follows.
"In the dark of the midnight have I oft hid my face, while the storm howls above me and there is no hiding place. Mid the crash of the thunder, precious Lord hear my cry; Keep me safe til the storm passes by----Til the storm passes over, til the thunder sounds no more, Til the clouds roll forever from the sky---Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand. Keep me safe til the storm passes by."
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Worst one I was ever in was when my wife and I were scouting for a mountain goat hunt. The storm blew thru quickly and and it the lightening was striking below us. You could smell the ozone. Another time was on Pikes Peak during a sheep hunt in late August when our monsoon season provides a storm very afternoon. I got caught too far back and above tree line. My mule and I did race to get lower. It was pretty close to a "Man From Snowy River" decent. Another time on a ML elk hunt in the Flat Tops Wilderness in Colorado. A storm moved in quickly, again we were right at tree line.When we got back to the mules, they were frantic and hardly controllable.We did a semi controlled runaway for about two miles down the mountain. Luckily the mules turned into camp instead of heading another 6 miles to the trucks.

Now days being a little more knowledgeable, I watch the weather. Black clouds moving in, I beat hasty retreat to low lands. I don't hunt in the rain. If I get caught out in it unexpectedly and camp is too far away, I find a low spot with maybe a pine tree with low hanging branches. I take the lash tarp from the packs and crawl under it until the storm passes.The mules get paunchos thrown over them that I keep in the panniers.

I think a wind storm where one of those micro burst comes thru and trees are falling all around you is more frightening
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Vince, it is good to see you are back.

saddlesore wrote:I think a wind storm where one of those micro burst comes thru and trees are falling all around you is more frightening

Good advise. I too would rather deal with a lightning storm than strong wind. Not only will falling trees kill you, but a limb or top can do it too. When the wind gets excessive; get out of the timber.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 25, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:Vince, it is good to see you are back.
saddlesore wrote:I think a wind storm where one of those micro burst comes thru and trees are falling all around you is more frightening

Good advise. I too would rather deal with a lightning storm than strong wind. Not only will falling trees kill you, but a limb or top can do it too. When the wind gets excessive; get out of the timber.

Storms and wind can be very bad news,,, My closest hunting buddy stepped out of the tent and a tree blew down on the tent with dad inside Tent was burning, stove and tree on dad.
Duc-taped dad to a table, another in the camp ran to the nearest house and called life flight. Broken back, ribs shoulder, punctured lung, burns. By chance a paramedic coming up to hunt retaped dad an put the table idea wise. or dd would have been dead before life fight got there. A long recovery. Im trying to get them to hunt Idaho or Wyoming together again.
Lefty

Postby Fridaythe13th » 04 25, 2019 •  [Post 7]

[quote="WapitiTalk1"]

4. Lie on the ground (preferably in a low area, i.e., a depression) for the best lightning protections.

Are you sure on number 4. I was told not to lie on the ground this person told me to stand with you feet together and Crouch down as far as you can. The reason why so many cow, horses or whatever animal get hit buy lightning so easily is because they have 4 points of cantact with the ground.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Lefty » 04 25, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Fridaythe13th wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:4. Lie on the ground (preferably in a low area, i.e., a depression) for the best lightning protections.
Are you sure on number 4. I was told not to lie on the ground this person told me to stand with you feet together and Crouch down as far as you can. The reason why so many cow, horses or whatever animal get hit buy lightning so easily is because they have 4 points of cantact with the ground.

Easiest conductor .
Had a friend see a couple gals get hit on their horses near St Cloud Mn , Killed the girls and horses; a big mess
Lefty

Postby MtnOak » 05 07, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I’m not sure what’s worse being caught out hunting in a lightning storm or being asleep in a tent when one hits at night.
MtnOak

Postby MtnOak » 05 08, 2019 •  [Post 10]

I been up in the air over buying a good wall tent or just get a camper but man I would hate to pull a camper 1300 miles but I know when I got it out there it would be nice and I wouldn't be near as worried during thunderstorms, 2 years ago I went through some pretty bad lightning storms at night I mean bad...…….bad enough I got out of the tent and slept in the truck, then 2 nights later while camped a couple miles in I was pretty sure I was gonna get lit up from another tuff storm through the night...……...I hate that crap!
MtnOak

Postby Swede » 05 08, 2019 •  [Post 11]

MtnOak: If you would prefer a good tent except for your concern about lightening, why not just climb into your truck for the short duration occasional lightning storm? I just go back to sleep in the tent, but when I was working in the forest I would on rare occasion wait the storm out in the truck.
Over the years I have had two trailers, two campers and a three tents. My wife likes the trailers, but for me a tent is best. I really like the 12X14 wall tent I got from the Wall Tent Shop.
Swede

Postby MtnOak » 05 08, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Swede to be honest with you I will prolly end up with both before it’s over, my neck of the woods is a camping Mecca with Kentucky lake and Barkley lake near by but most around here don’t have any use for a tent because of the humidity and ticks we have to put up with, I’d love a good wall tent and bet I’d sleep good in one but western hunting is prolly all I’d use it for, I’ve slept in my truck the last 2 years just because they’ve been solo trips but had to bivy in my 2 man tent couple years ago and didn’t spend over 3 nights in the truck, storms have really got me scratching my head right now, I been wishy washy the last couple years trying to figure out what I want to do shelter wise for a base camp.
MtnOak

Postby Swede » 05 08, 2019 •  [Post 13]

I certainly understand your situation MtnOak. Camping in the east is different than in the western mountains. Camping with family is different than camping by yourself or with another hunter. When I had family, I preferred something with hard sides like a camper or trailer. There are advantages and disadvantages to all of these things.
Swede