Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Fastest kill shot rifle and archery

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Fastest kill shot rifle and archery

Postby Lefty » 05 07, 2019 •  [Post 1]

WapitiTalk1 wrote: ">" placement is a heart slicing shot which is a good thing. ]

Ok guys we see the shot placement, shot no shot posts.
But what are your experiences on the sh0t that drops them in their tracks or on the spot?
I shot two bull elk with a rirle frontal shots taking out the top of the heart. Both elk OI put a 2nd as soon as they wee broadside, One bull it was his last step, the other turned the spine to mush yer the bull traveled another 100 yards.
Ive seen antelope run 120 yards with a heart shot.
My middle daughter put her arrow through the top of the heart slicing arteries, yet the bull made it 58 yards.
My youngest daughter put two 175 gn shots top of the heart on her moose. While it was running dead it made it 160 yards
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Fastest kill shot rifle and archery

Postby 7mmfan » 05 07, 2019 •  [Post 2]

If I'm hunting with a rifle, as I do most of the time, I love the "quartering too" frontal shots. You put a 160 gr bullet going 3000 fps through the brisket, heart, lung, and out the other side, the damage is catastrophic. I've never had an animal go more than a few staggering feet from the place of the shot.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 05 07, 2019 •  [Post 3]

The only thing that will make them drop on the spot is a nervous system hit, spine. Both shoulders will knock them down and they will die, but it might take a few minutes and a lot of wasted meat.

Animals not hit in the spine, , like lung, double lung, liver, one shoulder, etc will take about 10 seconds to die until blood stops reaching the brain. Every animal uses those ten seconds differently.
saddlesore

Postby Elkduds » 05 07, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Agree w SS, CNS is the only instant killer, spine or brain. Neither is a good target: easy to miss/wound, spine shot wastes backstraps. I much prefer lungs/heart shots, preferably broadside through both lungs.

The bull I killed was running @ the end of a line of 3 cows. They ran past me @ 30 yards, only visible through a narrow gap in the oakbrush. I snapped an offhand shot when the bull's head was visible in my scope in the narrow shooting gap. When I recovered from the recoil no elk were in sight, I heard some running off through the oakbrush. There was an intense spell of uncertainty, likely failure on my part to kill the only bull I had seen, on the 4th day of a 5 day season, w a tag that took 7 years to draw. So I chambered another round, pocketed the brass from the shot. The running elk were gone, no sound of movement as I walked toward the small opening. When I stepped into the gap, there was the bull, stone dead on his belly w his legs crossed under him, exactly where he had been running when I fired. He had bled from the mouth and nose but I could find no bullet wound anywhere on him. I cut his throat to bleed him out, and sawed off his skull plate. Brain was intact. It was warm so I field dressed and skinned him in a hurry, no organ damage, lots of blood in the chest. Got the ivories, no wounds on the head, no holes or blood on the carcass.

That was 18 years ago. I had the hide tanned, not a hole anywhere. To this day I don't know whether I hit him or the sound killed him :shock:

What do you think happened?

No anal discomfort in the aftermath, so I doubt aliens were involved.

I have never, and will never, take a shot like that again @ big game.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 05 07, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Elkduds for sure you hit the bull. I do not know where, but the sound did not kill him and you did not scare the blood to come out either. My guess would be that you hit him in the back of his head, but I do not know.

I never killed an elk with an arrow faster than a spine hit. The spine hit does nothing but stop them instantly so you can place another arrow in the vitals. I killed a bull with my 338 Win Mag. It was a frontal shot that cartwheeled him. He was dead when he hit the ground. That bull did not wiggle or move a bit after landing with his butt towards me.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 07, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Shot a bull one year (arrow) at 20 yards that dropped dead within literally seconds, no more than 25 yards from where he busted from/stood. Lightly clipped his oil pump and that’s all it took. Shot a cow one year (old pump 30:06) in her bed, in the neck (probably 75 yards) and she dropped her head and expired in place. Shot a nice WT buck bounding away from me (.06 again if I remember right), about 100 yards, as he jumped over a snowy log, back of neck. Dropped in place. Buddy and I shot two MD bucks just down in a clear cut, 100ish yards below where we walked on a gated/walk in road. A 3x3 buck stood up and he went down immediately when I tripped the trigger on my dirty thirty Winchester. Second buck stood up yards from the other (nicer buck) and buddy Gary dropped him in place with an old .303 British. Had our work laid out for us within a few seconds. :?
Ya, I’m that handsome devil in the pic.

2C3867B7-6A47-455E-9D43-36D877096B44.jpeg
2C3867B7-6A47-455E-9D43-36D877096B44.jpeg (78.06 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 05 09, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Ive done neck shots on two whitetail bucks and they both crashed instantly. The only other flat out drt not a step taken kill ive made was a frontal chest shot on a bear at 10 yards with a .308. Ive bon jovi'd a couple bucks that still made it 50 yards or so with their hearts nothing but pudding.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 09, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I'm with wawhitey. To phrase a term from Gen. Norman Schwartscoff , "You have to separate the head from the beast"! That involves severing the spinal cord or a brain shot. I have done the spine hit with archery. But that was purely accidental and not exactly where I was aiming. The deer must have ducked the string and the arrow severed the spine. But it anchored him on the spot. With a rifle, I hit an elk right under the jaw bone with a 7MM Mag. He didn't even twitch and dropped on the spot. That one was an intentional shot at 75 yards.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 05 09, 2019 •  [Post 9]

>>>---WW----> wrote:,,,,,, With a rifle, I hit an elk right under the jaw bone with a 7MM Mag. He didn't even twitch and dropped on the spot..

When I killed my moose it was a base of the head going straight away. It was if it dropped faster than gravity should have allowed.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Camelcluch » 05 10, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Last years bull took one step and dropped. Ram Cat hit him hard. A muzzy bull took two shots but went 10 yards from where he was standing when shot.
Camelcluch

Postby robloft » 05 12, 2019 •  [Post 11]

I only have experience with deer but the only deer I’ve ever shot that dropped in her tracks was a doe I shot in the neck at about 20yds. She fell straight down and didn’t move. I’ve shot deer in the heart and lungs and they run anywhere from 40 to 150 yards sometimes. I shot one deer and there was no heart left and he ran 40 yards in a straight line right into a large oak tree and it didn’t even look like he kicked his legs when he fell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft