Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Hunting In The Rain

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunting In The Rain

Postby Swede » 05 08, 2019 •  [Post 1]

What do you do differently? Does it matter if the rain starts in the night or during the day at some point?

It depends for me. If I wake up and it is raining, but it is not expected to last, I may stay in and wait it out at least for awhile. In some areas I hunt on the ground. In other areas, I go back to my stand.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Elk Hunting In The Rain

Postby MtnOak » 05 09, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Unless 5 gallon buckets are falling out of the sky i'm out there doing it, I don't think I do anything different but maybe I should......I have noticed after a hard rain and I can kinda get a decent view of the mountain, Elk seem to pop out briefly in different spots for a short period of time then disappear again...…...drives me nuts!
MtnOak

Postby saddlesore » 05 09, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I don't hunt in the rain. I have found unless it is a very light drizzle for a long period ,elk hole u. Seems they don't like it any better than me. I like to think I when I hunt,I am having fun. Sloshing around in the rain isn't. That is a big reason,I don't hunt 5 day seasons in Colorado. Weather, can rob you of 1-2 days hunting
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 09, 2019 •  [Post 4]

That's a hard one to answer Swede. Some of my best hunts have been during a cold, wet, miserable day. But then again, some of my most fruitless hunts have been in the same situation. But one thing is for sure. If you are man enough to tough it out, you'll most likely have the whole elk woods to yourself. All the city slickers and dudes (duds) :lol: will be either sleeping in or sitting around playing cards in camp.
>>>---WW---->

Postby saddlesore » 05 09, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I'm not a city slicker or dude,but maybe I have learned a thing or two about chasing elk in wet weather .Why get you and your gear all wet that won't likely dry out for a few days,when if you wait until right after the rain stops,animal start to move.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 05 09, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I hate wet feet. I have good rain gear, but invariably my goretex lined boots will leak. If I am going out in the rain, I want my four buckle arctic boots on. They also keep my feet warm. I have spend very little of my life living in town, and they were small towns at that. If insisting on being comfortable makes me a "city slicker" I will be a warm dry one. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 09, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Love hunting in the rain, or, just after a good shower. Keeps your scent down and it's quiet to move. I'm referring to the W WA "drizzle" of course, not an actual rain storm, complete with a bunch o' wind; that is not ideal for hunting.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 05 09, 2019 •  [Post 8]

When we lived in Washington there wasnt much of a choice sometimes.
Ill hunt for short periods in the rain. but rain snow mix takes more of the fun out. I have set in the pickup or a pop up ground blind during rain,..

As a waterfowlerI prefer an overcast day with a light wind over the rain snow crap.
Now I have had some great hunts in ugly weather. During a snow storm I told my daughter if she heard geese to let me know while she was tending her horses.
shortly afer 11:00 she heard geese. I ran 280 yards out in the neighbors field and killed 4 geese in minutes. Fast shoot
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 05 10, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I just change my tactics. I don't get enough time in the woods to sit out wet days. For elk, I've found then tend to hole up and I have to go in after them. It can be a lot of fun because the rain covers scent and sound well, so still hunting in the timber can be effective. I do love that time period after a heavy rain when it clears and the sun comes out. The animals often come out of the woodwork.

For Blacktail, I love hunting the rain and wind. They often move out in the open and stay there. I've had more luck during gales at the end of October for Blacktail than any other time.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Elkduds » 05 12, 2019 •  [Post 10]

The hunting can get very good very quickly as soon as the rain lets up. Or between squalls.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 13, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Really depends on the style of hunting that im doing at the time and the type of weather. Heavy rain with a mix of snow? Im waiting it out if im backpacking in. Short road side hunts I will head out and spend my time drying clothes out when the wind is swirling.
I like the point Elkduds made. After the weather passes can be the best time to be in the woods. Need to be close to that area leading up to it so you're ready for that short window. I havent experienced any good hunting in the rain yet, so it usually leaves me waiting for those windows. Other good points made with the ground being quiet and helping your scent stay down. Very little bugling action for me as well. I would be still hunting or hunting a transition area.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby ishy » 05 14, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Love it, have had best days in the rain. Can't be typhoon, but I think elk like a little wet and cool. Windy however will ruin everything in a hurry.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Old school » 05 27, 2019 •  [Post 13]

My experience has been wind accompanies the rain and that's a no go for me. A light drizzle is one thing - throw in the wind and I'm out.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby juglow » 06 17, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Got to hunt it when your an eastern guy lol.
At home, I am a fair weather hunter though ;-)
juglow

First Name: Jeremiah
Last Name: Uglow