Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Need a CO hunting Partner!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Need a CO hunting Partner!

Postby Arrowslinger615 » 05 24, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I live in the Boulder area and I figured for this otc archery elk season it may be a good idea to find a buddy to hunt with rather than (hopefully) sticking an elk and having to pack it out myself haha! I'm 18 years old and still teaching myself how to bow hunt for elk a little bit although I have been elk hunting before in past seasons. I'm in good shape and I'm going to put a lot of work in in the off season to try and find a good spot to arrow a decent bull. I graduated from high school this past year, but even though I'm younger I am very mature and I take elk hunting very seriously. I'm willing to put in a lot of work in order be successful this season.
If you have any questions PM me.
Arrowslinger615

Re: Need a CO hunting Partner!

Postby Swede » 05 24, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Arrowslinger, you might do as well finding a good wife here as a competent hunting partner. I sincerely hope you find one. Realistically it does not appear to me you are bringing much to the table to persuade a seasoned hunter to invite an unknown. I know I sound like a cold shower that has just started to soak you, but if you don't find Mr. Right, I would set up a camp near some other hunters and make yourself known. Offer to help them if they get something. As you get to know them, and they take stock of you, they may invite you in. Bring along an extra package of hot dogs and buns and invite the neighbor cam over for lunch if you see them mid day. After that ask one or two to go on an afternoon hunt with you.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 24, 2019 •  [Post 3]

There are some good archery clubs in the Loveland/Ft. Collins area. Not sure about Boulder. It might be worth your time to join one of them and make some new friends. You might just find a partner.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 05 24, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I can't help as I am a ML and rifle hunter, and I am helping someone else this year and it is in a draw area.I always liked getting new hunters started. WW has the best advice. Also get on Facebook and join " I hunt Colorado". There are a lot of younger archers there.Also put in for a draw unit next year and build 1-2 points as you are buying an OTC tag. I think you can find someone. A lot of folks would like to have a young strong hunter to help them.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Arrowslinger615 » 05 24, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for the advice!! I know finding a good hunting partner isn’t always easy and it doesn’t help that I’m not “seasoned” or experienced in this particular field yet. And I’m not looking for someone that is experienced in particular I’m just looking for someone who loves elk hunting as much as I do and is willing to put in a lot of work to get the job done.
Arrowslinger615

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 24, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Got a good feeling about you Arrowslinger. I think you have what we used to say in Montana as one who has “the bark on” your trunk. Work on your calling and elk knowledge in this off season. Try to connect with old WW if he’s got the time, he’s a former top level competitive caller and knows more than most of us will ever know about Wapiti
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 05 24, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I hope you find a good partner. They are not easy to find and even when you think you know someone, you are likely to get an unpleasant surprise. They will bail out on you, some are especially too going to try and take advantage of you or they are lazy. Some are ...... I know that you are none of these, but ask yourself would you risk your annual hunt on someone you don't know from Adam? There is some good advise above. Did you look in our elkharmony.com thread? Maybe there is someone there that will hunt Colorado with you.
BTW: I have about 50 years of hunting experience and no partner either. Maybe someone will go hunt with me this coming season, maybe not. Either way I plan to be gone most of late August and September.
Swede

Postby Arrowslinger615 » 05 24, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Thanks again for the advice. If I have to go solo again this year it wouldn’t be the end of the world! I’ll let you guys know if I’m eating tag soup or elk chili this season haha! Best of luck to all of you.
Arrowslinger615

Postby Indian Summer » 05 25, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I think you have some things to offer. You live in elk country! That’s priceless. Do some homework and make a post that says you found a great honey hole with fresh elk sign everywhere. What more can an out of state hunter ask for.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 06 01, 2019 •  [Post 10]

First off, welcome to the forum! You've found the spot to be for learning.

I agree with others that it will be hard for you to get someone to just let you tag along off this forum, but I also agree with Joe (Indian Summer) that you do have some valuable assets! Namely, you live in elk country! Here's my suggestion to you. Learn to scout your area, take lots of pictures of elk and elk sign, and build an elk 'resume' (without telling the exact spots, btw) to convince some more experienced guys to hunt with you!

Another thing... I find that when I think of my hunting as scouting I actually am a better hunter. I approach the day as trying to find the best spot for next time. Don't be satisfied with the three day old sign you saw last time, go looking for better spots in your area. Think hidden benches and wallows, springs in thick timber, secret routes into seemingly unreachable bowls and knobs,

You may wind up hunting alone this year, but look at it as paying dues. Also, if you find a honey hole, don't take a new hunting partner there until you really, really know them and trust them.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Swede » 06 01, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Imagine a beautiful 18 year girl living in San Diego, writing in the Navy Times she is looking for a sailor to date her. The same disbelief will confront a person on a elk hunting forum reading, "Looking for a partner to shoot elk with me in my Colorado honey hole." Ya right???
The poor girl will likely die an old spinster as no one will believe her. Ditto the elk hunter.
Find a reliable, hunter friend and plan an elk adventure together.
Swede