Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Shortest Kill Shot

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shortest Kill Shot

Postby Swede » 06 02, 2019 •  [Post 1]

This is a very simple question if you can remember. What was the shortest one shot kill you ever made on an elk? Counting horizontal distance only, mine was just 4 yards.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Shortest Kill Shot

Postby wawhitey » 06 02, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Not an elk, but i killed a bear at 8ft with a handgun
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 06 02, 2019 •  [Post 3]

My first bull in Montana, I could hear it over 1000 yards away as it was coming across the snow covered meadow long before I saw him. It walked straight to me.
I turned the scope down to 2 power. A head-on shot, Pulled the trigger at 39 yards. The bull spun and I had a 2nd shot into the top of his heart and he hit the ground.
I killed my first archery cow elk broadside at 25 yards ,.. passing up two others at 12 and 13 yards

I ve killed all sorts of upland and waterfowl under 3 yards, small game literally putting the barrel to its head,. Missed a fox once ,.. I didnt want blood n brains all over. missed only pointing the gun with the fox another foot from the barrel :o Nearly the same on coyote 3-4 feet away,.. I wonder if they ever got their hearing back.

I have tons of short miss stories. In fact I believe Ive missed twice and many geese under 20 yards than over
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhntr08 » 06 02, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Also not an elk, but I shot a deer 2’ from the tree my stand was in. Dropped right there.
Elkhntr08

Postby N2mywake » 06 02, 2019 •  [Post 5]

My first bull was a last day hunt. We tried to set my dad up for the shot but it didn't work out. When they blew out down the mountain I dropped my pack and followed leaving my dad and buddy behind. I got between the bulls and the cows and a satellite came in to my cow calls. I shot him at 8ft he dropped at 11ft. I was 3/4 mile from where I left the guys.

Still a great memory

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 02, 2019 •  [Post 6]

These are great! Nothing like short range encounters that result in meat in the freezer. Called a bull in for my dad years ago (it was an epic day on a Montana alder side hill, with many screaming bulls) that resulted in my pop not being able to draw his bow back cuz the bull pretty much ran him over ;). Pop ended up with a huge bruise on his side/ribs as the bull crashed “through” him heading for me. I guess I didn’t give old dad time enough to set up before I started insulting the bull(s) as dad was still working down on a somewhat narrow elk trail. I told him to move quick and set up :D. Good times. Closest bull I’ve shot was probably around 15 yards?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Bowhunter » 06 03, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I shot a deer once from 7 feet away.

Last year I let a nice 8 point go to grow another year. I was climbing down from my stand and unhooking my bow from the pull up string when I saw him coming. I waited till he rounded the tree and jumped out and yelled HAY. he dropped like 2 feet and dug in as he lunged the other way. He went 20 yards and looked back trying to figure out what the heck just happened. I was 3-4 feet from him when I yelled. Probably could have smacked him on the nose with a twig. I laughed and walked off after he bounded away. :lol:
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I walked up on a spike Bull feeding in some reprod one time. I could hear him munching on grass on the other side of the line of trees, and when I knelt down to look under I could see his hooves 15 feet from me. I crouched down against the tree, dialed my scope to the lowest setting, and pointed it at the opening the elk was going to feed into. About two minutes later he stepped into view one shot to the neck to 12 feet, down.

Of all the animals I’ve killed with a rifle, only a handful have been outside 40 yards. Mostly by pure luck.

I had a big 6 point run up to my blind I’d made of branches and stand with his chin almost over my head. Washington archery hunt, spike or cow only! Ugh. He stayed there for a good minute before he decided he didn’t like the smell of me. One of my favorite memories.

Multiple times I’ve had deer within feet. Always love those close encounters
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Old school » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 9]

First elk I ever shot - 40 yard frontal with a .300 Win Mag

--Mitch
Old school

Postby otcWill » 06 08, 2019 •  [Post 10]

3 feet. I’ve killed a handful at 5-10 yds. That’s my wheelhouse ;)
otcWill

Postby Pop-r » 06 10, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Bout 8 yds. Several inside of 20.
Pop-r