Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How Close Are You?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How Close Are You?

Postby Swede » 06 04, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Hunting season is coming soon. I am looking forward to archery elk, but Fall bear, cougar, antelope, archery deer and then the muzzleloader, and rifle seasons. Are you ready or close?
What are your personal predictions for this coming elk season?

I am optimistic, but still don't have one tied up. I am thinking I will hold out a few days for a bull, but did I mention; I don't have one on a leash?
My shooting is coming along fine, and I am in decent shape. Why should I not be optimistic?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: How Close Are You?

Postby Elkhntr08 » 06 05, 2019 •  [Post 2]

My trip to Wyoming slammed home the point that I have to drop some weight and get in better cardio shape. Working on it.
Elkhntr08

Postby Lefty » 06 05, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I’m always getting ready and yet could slide everything in the trailer and ready to go in 5 minutes

Right now I’m sitting near one of our call locations

Last night a so far 3x 3 visited the bear bait
Heck here is a pic for you eastern guys I’m still 1000 feet from the top
FD31D8CE-E2E8-48EC-9411-A9267EDC437A.jpeg

I need to be more consistent with my shooting
Also my change in strategy this year I’m not going to spend a day or day and a half finding elk then wait for my daughter
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Old school » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I'm anticipating an OTC archery hunt this year with my sons and son in law. Working on cardio and weights. Think I've got all the gear bought that I need - need to keep practicing with the bow for consistency. Will be the first year with wood heat in our tent - and we got a new tent as well. Looking forward to this year out west.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Camelcluch » 06 08, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I could hunt right now. Since I have the time, arrow set is being tweeked a bit and starting hikes with weighted packs. That’s about it.
Camelcluch

Postby RobinHood » 07 08, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Not nearly as ready as I think I should be at this time of the year, but I say that every year. Both my shooting and physical wellbeing need work. I also prepare/freeze all the meals for elk, deer and antelope camp which is a good two week process; haven’t started. Gear is mostly ready, just a little organizing necessary. On the other hand, the itch is there and it’s getting stronger every day. At least my full time job (retirement) doesn't interfere with my preparations! ;)

Robin............
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra
RobinHood

Postby Indian Summer » 07 08, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I’m predicting 2 for 2! My partner did his first elk hunt last year. As anyone would imagine he learned a million things. This season will be his first carrying a bull tag. We have a super solid plan in an area I know very well. I’m planning on working hard enough to rely on luck as little as possible. Other than a new zipper on the wall tent we’re ready.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Brendan » 07 08, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I'm reasonably close. Need to prep and pack all food, dust off my calls and Elknut podcasts, keep getting in shape, and I am waiting on a tent upgrade to come in. But if I had to, I could go tomorrow other than buying food...

I'm hunting the opening two weeks of archery in Wyoming this year, so wondering if I'm going to be spending more time behind glass...
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Tigger » 07 08, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I could be ready tomorrow, but as others have said, got some fine tuning to do. The first cool morning is going to spike my enthusiasm off the charts!
Tigger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 08, 2019 •  [Post 10]

How close am I ? About 18 miles in September. But sometimes less than 100 yards from my back porch in December !! :o
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 08, 2019 •  [Post 11]

>>>---WW----> wrote:How close am I ? About 18 miles in September. But sometimes less than 100 yards from my back porch in December !! :o

Dang sneaky suckers.... It sounds like they know when the off season is down your way (and probably where there is free chow) :roll:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Trophyhill » 07 08, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Im so close, i'm there in my day dreams. If it started tomorrow, I'd be ready ;)
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B