Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

CO 1st rifle vs 2nd rifle

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

CO 1st rifle vs 2nd rifle

Postby poboy2214 » 06 05, 2019 •  [Post 1]

My buddy and I are planning our third elk hunting trip to Colorado this year, the difference this year being that we’re going to be backpacking instead of staying with a friend. We’re both new to hunting and are just happy to get cows, so we both put in for first rifle either sex with a 2nd choice of antlerless 1st season. I ended up drawing my third choice, 2nd rifle season antlerless while my buddy landed an either sex for 1st season. We were really hoping to go first season to avoid some of the heavier pressure we’ve seen and heard about in that area during 2nd and third rifle, and also to potentially be there during the end of the rut.

Right now we’re debating whether I should just pick up a bull tag for first season or to have him put in for the leftover draw for an antlerless during second season (the idea being cow tags would give us better odds at harvesting this year).

I guess what I’m wondering is if there’s anything that we should be thinking about regarding those two seasons that isn’t listed above. I really enjoy reading these blogs and I’ll be leaning on some of the knowledge I’ve gained from some of you experienced guys, so if you can offer any insight about the differences you’ve experienced I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
poboy2214

Re: CO 1st rifle vs 2nd rifle

Postby Elkduds » 06 05, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the campfire, feel free to tell us more about your hunting interests.

There's one important thing about CO 1st season OTC elk tags...

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Rules ... iggame.pdf

Page #36

Good luck!
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 05, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Welcome to the forum mister, glad to have you on board.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 06 05, 2019 •  [Post 4]

All bull tags are by draw only for 1st season,, there are no OTCtags, but there may be left over tags. If your cow tag is a "B" tag, you can buy a bull tag if there are any leftover. If not a "B" tag,you must turn it in before you buy the bull tag if there are any left over

There are lot of pros and cons between each season.1st season with the rut winding down doesn't help you much. The bulls have been bugled to all of September by bow and muzzle loader hunters. Being only 5 days long, a bit of bad weather can really screw up your hunt.Backpacking 2nd season n can get sporty if it snows.

This a good reason to always out in as a group so if one gets tag., all will ( I know it's a little late for that advice)

If it were me and both could not stay around for both seasons and buying a leftover bull tag doesn't happen.I would turn the 2nd season cow tag in and go with you bud to help with the Either Sex tag and then split the meat.

Since you are back packing and probably have not tried to carry an elk out on your back, you won't be wanting to do a 2nd one any time soon after the 1st one
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Camelcluch » 06 05, 2019 •  [Post 5]

As said, no OTC. However, you may find a few tags in the left over draw. The down side is that the left over draw is a zoo and normally the system doesn’t work. So, I hope you all do well in the second season. Good luck.
Camelcluch

Postby poboy2214 » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Elkduds wrote:Welcome to the campfire, feel free to tell us more about your hunting interests.

There's one important thing about CO 1st season OTC elk tags...

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Rules ... iggame.pdf

Page #36

Good luck!

Well I guess that makes the decision pretty easy :lol:

As for me, I just started hunting about three years ago. I live in Texas but have a friend that grew up around the Maroon-Bells Wilderness in CO that got me hooked on elk hunting. Now I'm addicted and spend most of my free time either reading blogs like these, shooting my rifle, or working out for elk season. Hoping that hard work pays off when we get on the mountain this year.
poboy2214

Postby poboy2214 » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Camelcluch wrote:As said, no OTC. However, you may find a few tags in the left over draw. The down side is that the left over draw is a zoo and normally the system doesn’t work. So, I hope you all do well in the second season. Good luck.

Thanks. There weren't any leftovers in that unit this year. We've briefly discussed looking at other units but I think we're going to stick with 43 due to the familiarity.
poboy2214

Postby Elkduds » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 8]

43 is big, beautiful, wild, steep country. Your experience there will be valuable, might even make it a little easier to be successful. Plus, when you get around to hunting other units they will seem easy by comparison. You might still find a leftover bull tag for 43. After the leftover drawing there will be a steady stream of surrendered tags available, you might find what you are looking for. Last year some great tags showed up for sale the day before season opened. Not everyone is flexible enough to take advantage of that kind of opportunity. But since you are already going then, you could!
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby saddlesore » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 9]

One of the biggest reasons I don' t put in for 1st season is that it would be an "A" tag that would pretty much end up my elk hunting for the year ,unless by some small chance I could find a "B tag cow license in the left overs in an area I don't want to hunt anyway. Too risky for me to base a whole years waiting on.
Where as now I get a 9 day ML season "B" tag that I have to draw for and a 9 day rifle season OTC "A" tag.I'm not willing to trade 18 days hunting for 5
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby poboy2214 » 06 07, 2019 •  [Post 10]

saddlesore wrote:One of the biggest reasons I don' t put in for 1st season is that it would be an "A" tag that would pretty much end up my elk hunting for the year ,unless by some small chance I could find a "B tag cow license in the left overs in an area I don't want to hunt anyway. Too risky for me to base a whole years waiting on.
Where as now I get a 9 day ML season "B" tag that I have to draw for and a 9 day rifle season OTC "A" tag.I'm not willing to trade 18 days hunting for 5

Makes sense and that's definitely something I'll consider in the future. I'm only getting 5-6 days of hunting this year though. My wife and I had our first child at the end of January and she's not too keen on me being gone longer than 7-8 days right now :D
poboy2214