Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Shoot A Cow

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shoot A Cow

Postby Swede » 06 12, 2019 •  [Post 1]

The State game departments regulate everything big game. The control the numbers of elk and the bull cow ratio. Maybe your first choice is a trophy bull, but if you don't succeed in a reasonable time, why not take a cow?
A cow is not always great eating as some older ones can get tough too, but in general they are excellent, and I have never had a bad tasting one. The toughest one will still make excellent hamburger, stew or even stir fry. I would far rather be eating cow elk in the winter than tag soup. Just my perspective. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Shoot A Cow

Postby Lefty » 06 12, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Ive had hunts that are bull only. or trophy-bull
Archery hunting in the units I hunt it is any elk.
I make a conscious choice to hold off shooting cow calves and small bulls,.. all under the reason or excuse,.. I like to hunt And maybe use my fatherin-laws reasoning
" Why wreck a good hunt by killing something"
With that said When I know its my last day to hunt Ill kill a cow. Also Ive been trying to get my daughter a mature bull,.. at my expense as father-guide
Now that whole position may be changing. Locally fewer geese are showing up on the fields I goose hunt. And bringing home meat is important to my wife
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 06 12, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I have tried every recipe in the book but nothing makes an unpunched tag taste as good as an elk..... any elk. I’d rather shoot a cow than a really small bull too.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 12, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Indian Summer wrote:I have tried every recipe in the book but nothing makes an unpunched tag taste as good as an elk..... any elk.

As Jack would say.........

WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Fullabull » 06 13, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I passed up a fat juicy cow last year because a bull was behind her but I haven't had elk meat in the freezer for a couple years. I then called in a six point for my son and he missed. We could have been set, but that's elk hunting. This year, if it's brown it's down. I'm hungry
Fullabull

First Name: Fred
Last Name: Talbot

Postby Bowhunter » 06 14, 2019 •  [Post 6]

My tag is bull only so all cows are safe. Unless they are packing antlers on their head. then I will have to explain that to the warden. :lol:
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby elkstalker » 06 14, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I have no qualms shooting a cow if the tag and season allow. If fact, after last years debacle trying to hold out for a nice bull... this year I may just take the first legal elk (cow included) that is within range.
elkstalker

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 06 16, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I love a good sized cow elk for eating! I've got my trophy bull, and will kill a cow any time it's legal.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby juglow » 06 17, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I have not killed a bull yet (bad shot angles, wind etc..). Killed a cow but find myself holding out. Things change as the hunt draws near though and depends on what I am seeing. Tag soap does not taste good.
juglow

First Name: Jeremiah
Last Name: Uglow

Postby BrentLaBere » 06 18, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Just depends on the tag for me. I had my once in a life time elk tag for ND and was holding out for a good bull. General tags out of state, I shoot the first legal elk I come across. I was picky one year and passed up 3 cows. I didnt fill my tag that year. Not doing that again.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Trophyhill » 06 18, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Agree with the OP 100% ;)
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby RobinHood » 07 07, 2019 •  [Post 12]

To me, any elk with a bow is a trophy; I believe we put too much emphasis on big racks (I’m still talking about elk guys, don’t let your minds wonder :D). That said, I surely won’t pass up (assuming it’s legal) that big herd bull. I’m also lucky because where I hunt not only has a OTC either sex tag, but you have a 2/3 chance of drawing a second antlerless only tag. Like Lefty's father-in-law, my hunting philosophy has always been "that the only way to ruin a good hunt is to get something!"
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra
RobinHood

Postby MtnOak » 07 07, 2019 •  [Post 13]

After playing chess with a good bull last year and couldn't seal the deal, on day 7 I decided to shoot a cow, I just really didn't want to shoot her but wanted the meat so I did something I hardly ever do...……..I missed her...…..I still cant believe it 10 months later still drives me nuts..such an easy (I thought ) shot, I just miss judged the distance, but yea i'll shoot a cow in a second if I cant get a bull first...………..still can't believe I missed.
MtnOak