Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New to AZ

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New to AZ

Postby Medstudent2019 » 06 12, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Hey all, my wife and I moved to Arizona this year and I’ve been looking into elk hunting here as soon as possible. Looking to just get into it as quickly as possible. Anyone from AZ have any insight or tips on how to go about getting started here? I would be interested in a cow hunt at first to get my feet wet. Archery I assume will be Easier so I’m preparing for that. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am new to the west and elk hunting.

Thanks!
Medstudent2019

Re: New to AZ

Postby Swede » 06 13, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Medstudent: I do not know of anyone on the forum from Arizona. If you can go over to the PSE factory in Tucson, you could probably talk to someone there that could help. I used to stop in there on occasion and found some were very helpful. That was over 20 years ago, so I doubt anyone I knew back then would be there now. Good luck.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Fozziebear2000 » 06 13, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Medstudent, shoot me a pm if you like. I am no master but I grew up in AZ and still have a brother there that is a successful elk hunter. I can connect you with him. I believe he will share some ideas. I know of a place or two as well, SE of Flagstaff, worth a scouting mission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fozziebear2000

Postby Game Planner Maps » 06 16, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I live in Arizona. You're going to have to wait till 2020 to get an elk tag. There are a few antlerless Sept archery hunts you'd have a pretty good shot at drawing. Some of the late archery hunts are easy to draw but the hunting can be difficult. You get two choices on your application. A good draw strategy is to use your first choice on an early bull hunt and a cow tag for your second choice. The late rifle tags are good draws in most units. Success is generally about 30-40% for bulls and higher on cows. Elk hunting in AZ is really good. Just about any tag you draw has the potential for big bulls and cows are abundant. Pick an area by Flagstaff, Payson, or showlow and do some camping this summer. You will see elk. Go back with an otc archery deer tag and get out there in September. You should hear some bugles and get a feel for an area. You should also take the AZ hunters education course, with it you earn a permanent bonus point. Never hurts to have another point. Email me if you have questions. ed@gameplannermaps.com
The Ultimate Map Resource for the DIY Public Land Hunter
www.GAMEPLANNERMAPS.com
Whats Your Game Plan?
Game Planner Maps
Game Planner Maps