Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Trophy Hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Trophy Hunting

Postby Swede » 06 18, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Is hunting elk for bragging rights become too much for the good of hunting in general?

When I was a kid we hunted mostly bucks, or a bull if we were after elk. It did not matter if it was a 9X10 like one I got, or a nice fat 3X3. We did not often shoot does or cows because they were our insurance of future game. Now it seems the magazines are full of 6X6 bulls and endorsements for "trophy" hunts. A 3X3 was usually a better deer because it was bigger in body than a forked horn. The same was true of a 4X4 bull rather than a spike, but any bull was great as it provided so much meat for the coming year. Getting a large buck or bull was considered being lucky, or having a good eye.

What I am thinking is that advertising trophy elk has brought many people into the sport and degraded to quality of the hunt. By insinuating that you are a great anything because you can kill a large animal, especially with a bow, we have enticed many in to prove they too are tough. Maybe it has become a testosterone thing rather than a love.

What are some of your thoughts?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Trophy Hunting

Postby saddlesore » 06 18, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I shoot the first legal elk or deer that walks by.With the number of hunters in the field in Colorado and the game department's fudging about how many elk Colorado has, a fellow needs to do that unless they want tag soup. I put in every year for 21 years for a unit that let out 25 tags a year. However, I also drew cow tags or bought OTC tags for those 21 years and almost always filled the freezer. That hunt was not a "gimme" hunt and I worked my butt of for the 7x8 bulI I got. More of a "OK,I did that", and got it out of my system. I also waited quite few years to draw Big Horn sheep tag and a Mountain Goat tag. Got that out of my system. What hunter doesn't dream about a mature 6x6 bull stepping out in a meadow for their first hunt and maybe for the next 20 hunts. I never heard of hunter having the same dream about a cow elk, but they sure shoot them. Only human nature. Sort of like the guy going bar hopping, hoping to pick up a 10 and taking her home, but settles for a 2 right before closing time.

The guys that pay $10-$15 K for a guided hunt on a private ranch ,now that is a different story.About the only thing they do is pull the trigger, but sure post those humongous bull kill shots all over the web showing what an accomplished hunter they are . It floats their boat and that is what matters to them .It has no effect on me so have at it.

I have no problem if others want to wait. However,it does make me mad when these guys call in a bull, then decide it isn't big enough.Then they step out and let the bull know they are there.That bull tucks that incident in it's memory bank and brings it forth the next time a caller tries to outwit it.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 06 18, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I think the thing that is spoiling elk and deer hunting is advertising in different ways. We see a bow hunters hall of fame. Every magazine has only articles of hunts where big bulls are killed and hunters are sitting behind the large antlers made to appear larger by the positing of the shooter. People are encouraged to buy this or do that so they can be a big game success.
Saddlesore is respected as a hunter, but if he played the game and bought in on a trophy ranch hunt, he could be a hero. I guess. Actually Saddlesore does not much care or even think of being recognized as a trophy killer, but TV programs, magazines and other media have spurred on the idea that with a little luck we can be something rather than just having a great story to tell. I guess what has brought this to mind is I received another book about an old hunter from a different era that brought back memories about hunting in days long gone.
I probably need get off the computer for now and go buy some special broadheads, so I can get a trophy and my story in a large publication.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 06 18, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Heck,just look at all the avatar photos on this site alone. I don't see one cow or raghorn shown. All 6x6's. A newbie just logging on must think, "Man, these guys only kill big ones. So it might not all be about advertising. Look at the top banner on this site, Elk hunting, Tree stand hunting, Elknut Tips, Archives. Wall Tent Shop. All big bulls
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 06 18, 2019 •  [Post 5]

There is a very fine line between sharing the thrills and struggles of a hunt, and promoting hunting in a way that leads people to believe it is easy to go out and be a trophy killer like Chuck Adams. I totally respect Chuck Adams and his accomplishments, but I do not want to be Chuck Adams. I have written quite a few magazine articles for Oregon publications in addition to the tree stand book. I want people to vicariously join me on a hunt, and in the comfort of their living room experience some of what I did. In the process of writing I may have inadvertently crossed the line and left the impression that killing bull elk is not only easy, but the only point of the hunt. I admit that my goal is to fill my tag. That to me is success. Killing a big 6X6 would be great, but is not the end for anything.
For those that are interested, I do not think there is a thing in the tree stand book, or for that matter in Elknut's books, that has not been shared right here for free. All the books do is put everything all together in logical chapters. Getting everything together as an easy reference will cost you $20. :D
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 06 18, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I was commenting on the photo shown that is clicked on. Not the contents. Look at the banners of all the sponsors. Anyone that includes an elk in it is at least a a 6x6. Which kind of implies that this is what a hunter should aspire to kill. or if you buy their product, you too can kill a big bull as shown.

How many guys lying in their bed roll the night before opening day are thinking about killing a big bull . Is that from advertising, reading hunting magazines,watching TV shows? I don't know.
saddlesore

Postby Trophyhill » 06 18, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Personally I am a meat Hunter, and any legal animal taken with my bow satisfies the hell outta me. I'm not in this to please anyone but me. Although I will say there is an alure to killing a giant, and I certainly wouldn't pass on one. I think most, whether they admit it or not, set out to kill the biguns. And many will pass on smaller antlers and prefer tag soup over killing a cow or a smaller bull or buck.

However there are many of us who will take any legal animal, even though we set our sites on the monsters before season starts.

It shouldn't be a surprise that companies advertise the big bulls and monster bucks. It could lead to a big payday for those lucky enough to score a giant.

Not to mention, if you go back in time, Native American warriors and hunters who killed large antlered deer and elk were held in high esteem by their peers. Going back even further in time, it wasn't much different with ancient men. There's just something about large antlers that turn us all on.

None of us should feel jealous of those who kill the bigun. Also those who kill to eat shouldn't feel shamed either. That said, 1 of my goals is to kill a herd bull and a 30" buck before my hunting career is over. I just haven't had the discipline to hold out when I look a gift horse in the mouth ;)
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby 7mmfan » 06 19, 2019 •  [Post 8]

This is a tough one. I’m far from a trophy hunter, but enjoy looking at the couple of exceptional deer and elk I’ve taken over the years. They aren’t even really trophies by many standards of measurement but are to me. I will still take most any legal animal that presents itself to me, but have become slightly more selective as time has gone by and I’ve killed more and more animals. I do think there way to much emphasis on killing the largest of whatever species is targeted, but I don’t know that it’s anymore prevalent than it ever has been. I believe that it’s just more visible these days with the Internet and social media.Because of the visibility, I believe the term trophy hunting is being used a whole lot more by the non hunting and anti hunting community. It absolutely does shed a negative light on hunters in general, most of whom absolutely do not consider themselves to be trophy hunters.

I’ll add some more thoughts to this later.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 06 19, 2019 •  [Post 9]

If you look at my barn wall, trophy hunters would not be impressed
6x6 raghorn :lol:
12 inch pronghorn
45" moose
10 pointer white-tails ( one is 16 wide ;)
20 inch blacktail,.....

I just pass on some game by many peoples position as plain weird But overall I enjoy being out there,.. Thats part of the reason I jumped into archery
Ive been in on a bunch of nice deer and elk where I messed up,.. Ive also messed up on plenty of cows, does .
I will say it has been important to put meat in the freezer. And many years thats just happens one way or another
In some ways I guess my waiting for something big the first few hunts is sometimes waiting on the big one or just more days to be out there

My father in law was similar. Not that he was trophy hunting he was just more patient and was able to hunt places most people couldn't . He had gotten to the point he didnt want to eat game but always had people lined up for the meat. My wife was taught to not shoot mulies unless they were a 4x4 and wider than their ears
Am I a trophy hunter,.. no, that truly takes more time and money than my wife will allow me to spend.

I have scouted out,targeted and spent a lot of time on some big animals that I never took.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H