Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Conversations During the Off Season?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Conversations During the Off Season?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 20, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I wonder what the elk talk about in the off season. Elk hunters obviously pass the time on the Wapiti Talk Forum talking about potential hunting areas, shot placement, gear recommendations, have you ever been attacked by a bird, calling techniques, which pointy metal things are the best, planning the lunch menu on the 5th day of the hunt during the 2019 season, whether one should bone out their harvest, and of course…stories from the previous year.

Here are a few topics of discussion our elk friends may engage in during the off season. Feel free to add any you may have heard of,

1. Montana 6X6 talking to a group of young rag horns and spikes. “Yeah, you’ll be fine if you listen to the older bulls like me and Ralph.” Lesson one….”Only bugle to locate. Once they respond, or you smell them, simply move quickly to the ridge above the draw and watch the show. Some of them two leggers will actually stay in that same draw for an hour bugling excessively trying to call you in”.

2. Arizona 7X7 talking to a group of cows. “I’m not one to brag, but I successfully got within 20 yards of ten different hunters last season before they knew I was in the country. The frosting on the cake was when the guy shot his arrow off the brush into a tree. I couldn’t help but chuckle as I got the heck out of there”.

3. A two year old, bright eyed, Oregon cow talking to the other ladies in the herd on a lazy summer afternoon. “So, you’re saying a long third point on their antlers has a direct correlation to the length of something else”? (muffled sounds of giggling)

4. Montana 6X6 talking to a group of young rag horns and spikes. Lesson two. “More often than not, they’ll give themselves away as hunters. Excessive cow talking, bugling, and brush smashing is a dead giveaway for me. It’s the ones that use their calling sparingly you need to watch out for”.

5. Washington 5X6 talking to his buddy. “Whoa! I know what you mean, those Pacific Crest Trail hikers smell like they’ve been wallowing and palpitating for days”.

6. Colorado bull watching the Outdoor Channel (I guess they have Direct TV in the high country now). “No stupid, don’t walk over there.. it’s not a real cow, it’s one of those Heads Up decoys…. he’s right there.. GET AWAY….. It’s a hunter.. HE’S RIGHT BEHIND THAT COW FACE! I can’t watch.. turn it off”.

Feel free to add any more that you can think of!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Conversations During the Off Season?

Postby Swede » 06 20, 2019 •  [Post 2]

6X6 to a spike and young raghorn: "Boys the woods are getting more dangerous these days. This is not a fit place to live anymore. It is just not like the good old days. There are camoed up pilgrims showing up everywhere. It is best to get to your bedding spot early in the day and stay there. If you hear what sounds like a new bull in the area, stay put, and stay quiet. If it gets close leave in a hurry and don't look back. That is not all. There are some morons now sitting in the trees like a hawk or eagle just waiting for some unsuspecting youngster to walk in for a drink or to go to their bedding area close by. I sure wish it was 2013 again."
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 20, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Me and my best buddy Ralph were in Idaho talking across the drainage trying to impress the lady's when this guy and his kid start pissing Ralph off, I think they call him elknut. If you see Ralph he's a huge 6x6 with white tipped horns let me know I need to find him.
Reply from lead cow: we seen Ralph getting a free ride to the taxidermist he didnt stand a chance.
I'm moving to Montana I hear it's safe their. Lol
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 21, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Lead cow to the rest of her ladies: " Look girls, I'm the boss of this outfit. And we aren't letting lovesick bulls take over until I say so"! :shock:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 06 25, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Well just Saturday I over-herd”
A cow telling two young calves it was to light out to be playing in the meadow
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Trophyhill » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Herd bull to the rest of the group.

"I hope trophyhill stays home this year. My left antler is not the same with this RazorTrick still stuck in my right leg from last year......."
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B